There's no way Prime is going to be this good...is there?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 27, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I've been on the fence regarding Prime, as we haven't really seen or read much at all. Seeing the movie influenced Bee made me sceptical if anything.

But, this is what I'm reading from various data so far.

A fresh start, possibly able to tie in with WFC. The closest we seem to have gotten from Hasbro on an offical TF "reboot" and streamlining, and is being taken seriously and as a long term project. Taking the elements of Beast Wars and Animated writing,design elements that reference the movie, but also take a step back with traditional simplicity. Iconic characters, cherry picked from the vast library of Hasbro, full CG, and is planned to span a huge amount of episodes, taking character development and story progression to a new level, with a focus on quality voice acting, including Welker and Cullen, not to mention others.

This could be INSANE. If they pull this off, I might just be the biggest fan of this show. IF they pull it off. This could be the new defining moment for Transformers for the followers outside of the movies. This + War for Cybertron = The new Golden Age? I think it might be. It may even bring Animated, Beast, G1, and Movie fans all together. Something like that would probably awaken Unicron in our dimension, though.....

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Animated taught me not to judge any series until I see it for myself.

3. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Agreed; but you have to admit that's a pretty impressive resume for concepts so far...

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I HOPE it's going to be good. of course. no one wants a series to suck.

... do they?

Honestly, I wasnt too hopeful until the panel report. Now I'm feeling good about it.

I thought Animated was going to suck, but... yeah. it didnt. I also don't want to risk getting my hopes for Prime up too high, or I won't be happy no matter how it turns out.

5. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Yeah, the panel was what actually made me realize they were taking this seriously and I realized the scope they are going for. Once I saw all the facts together like that I thought it was actually impressive, and that we may possibly "have something" here! We'll see. I just want to see the designs! Gah!

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this fandom wouldn't suprise me......but yea, thanks to the panel, it sounds AMAZING......animated is the prime example (haha), first image of prime from animated EVERYONE hated it, when animated came to a close, basically everyone loved it

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How are you making this decision when we know hardly anything? This is was gives TF fans a bad name and makes it seems like he hate everything. We haven't even seen the show yet. Just because it's not what YOU would do if you were writing the show doesn't automatically = disappointment.

Look, if I had my way, I would make the show differently, but let's at least see the show before we start talking about how it's not going to be good.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know perhaps I've just been burned by things before but when they start to make something sound too good to be true then it often fails to live up to the hype.

So far they seem to be making it out to be the greatest CGI in a cartoon ever, the greatest writing in a cartoon ever, the greatest action in a cartoon ever, the deepest characters in a cartoon ever, and just a lot of stuff that makes me wonder can you really deliver. At the same time they really didn't tell us hardly anything about the cartoon.

I'm also worried that mixing too many elements into one show is going to make a mess. In cooking you can't just throw everything people like into the pot to get a good soup. So I'm not sure how mixing too many things will work. Plus somethings are just totally contradictory like how in the movies the Autobots are way too strong but the Decepticons are way too weak, yet in Animated the Decepticons are way too strong and the Autobots are way too weak.

Just seems like they could be on track to find something to make everyone mad rather than to make everyone happy. Such as I really don't like Starscream's look in the movie at all so do they change the look of Starscream to make people like me happy or do they keep the movie look to make some other fan happy?

I'd love if they did pull off the greatest Transformers series ever, but if you set the bar too high then even a pretty good series will not seem as good when it can't hit that over promised goal.

9. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

This is way off topic, but I gotta agree about the movie-verse Screamer design. It's fine and all, even kinda cool... I just wish they had used it for some other jet-former and went with a sleeker, more traditional design for the movie-verse seekers (in the Starscream and his "clones" sense, not the "ancient space-going Transformer" use from ROTF).

The WFC Starscream/Seeker design is a little closer to the mark for "movie-verse complexity/realism" + "Geewun" in my mind, and I hope that the Transformers: Prime version of Starscream/the Seekers skews closer to it than the "Bird/Gorilla/Jet" mix of the Bayverse.

Like I said, off topic. Just something that popped into my head when I read that.

On-topic: I have complete faith that they'll be able to pull off, at least, a mildly entertaining Transformers series with a few cool toys. Regardless of whether it's the best thing since sliced bread, every series so-far has had at least some merit and at least one or two awesome figures. Even the "Unicron Trilogy", which I consider to be one of the worst periods in Transformer history, had it's good elements and I've got toys from that era that I like very much.

So yeah. Worst case scenario: I don't watch the show beyond a few episodes and only get a couple of the toys, then a few years down the road something else comes along.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The series seems to be combining a lot of the best aspects of every series, and I'm really hoping they can deliver with this. I'm just hoping for a lot more coverage as well as pictures of the toys and designs before I decide.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Well, it does seem to be the best thing since sliced bread so far...

Long term writing and plot - fantastic
    BW and Animated quality writing and character development - fantastic.
    Small, ensemble main cast - fantastic
    26 episodes per season - fantastic, just like the 2003 TMNT series
    Combined designs of the best designs of Animated, WFC, and Movies - fantastic.
    Cullen as Prime - fantastic, though unexpected
    Welker as Megatron.... bleh. As said, his Megatron voice didn't age well at all, but he's perfectly welcome to voice Soundwave and animal-formers. But it still will be great to see Welker and Cullen against each other in a show again after all these years

It sounds great, but my main complaint and fear is that they'll make Bee a child. Cheetor was a turd for half of BW, and Animated Bumblebee was a hot shot wannabe.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Frankly, I don't know. I thought Animated was going to suck hard, like, Energon's cartoon levels of suck, and boy was I wrong. Even with only the TF:p rime Bumblebee being the only character we've even seen so far, the designs look like they're heading the right way in my opinion (it's clearly got movie influences, but the addtion of Animated style works more than I thought).

Frankly, I just want any Transformer with a cybertronic alt. mode to NOT look like a walking scrapheap (like Movie Megatron, both forms), maybe something akin to Animated Megatron's cybertronian form (which just screamed 'I'm an evil SoB who's going to kill you" while still having parts that could be easily identified).

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The sad thing is I"M the guy who never has pre-concieved thoughts. I don't know...Their something about Prime, I just don't like..maybe it's the fact i have no idea what universe this is from? or that fact David Kaye isn't in it. I'm starting to think this might actually suck.

And i'm a guy who likes the Unicron Trilogy!!!!!!!!

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe they will be showing something off at Comic Con. Most of us are going to give the series a chance since we are all Transformers fans so perhaps the big push is going to be to get the wider geek world to watch as well.

15. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I think everything they've said about the series is pretty awesome except when they said it's being developed as just a television show without toys. I'm sure the toys will come around someday, but I'm not sure what to think about the cartoon without them. Is it a good thing since the focus is only on the writing and design and not cross-promotion? Or is it a bad thing because they'll screw up the toy releases like with Animated?

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Same here.

I'm totally stoked for this show, too bad I don't get Discovery Kids.

17. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

Orci and Kurtzman wrote for the first TF Movie and Star Trek, and unfortunately had ROTF taken from them by Bay due to the Writer's Strike. I still have a lot of faith that they can pull it off :D 

Edit: Oh, and apparently, there ARE TF: prime toys on the way. The earlier thing was a misquote, thank GOd.

18. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I'm just bitter that despite Animated ending last year, we're going for possibly TWO YEARS without a Transformers cartoon, considering the production team said there's simply no way they'd be ready for October. We probably won't see Prime on TV until possibly February.

If the Animated universe isn't on perma-ban (which I fear it is) and we got some kind of sequel (not a comic written by someone who's never been involved with Animated, maybe a DTV or sequel TV series) that wraps up oh so many of the show's plot threads, I'll probably feel better about it being pushed aside for the sake of movie franchise synergy.

As it is, being something of a 'Clone Wars' of the movie franchise and getting...eugh...Frank Welker to do Megatron hasn't filled me with confidence. I'm not going to automatically hate it, and if I don't like it, no big, but I just...wish Hasbro thought things through a little better and gave us something besides Revenge of the Fallen to do us until this winter.

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Just finished watching the first season of Fringe, so I have to say Orci and Kurtzman working on this is easily the most exciting part for me

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed, though the details we've received about Prime the past few days does sound pretty interesting. I personally still think it's odd that there apparently isn't a toyline planned yet, though.