There's a Gundam down here! (No new news on Gundam, sorry)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DaggersRage, Sep 26, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

That's gotta be me and my friend's most quoted line from any Gundam series. In Gundam Wing, Deathsythe is doing underwater combat and this one guy screams "There's a Gundam down here" then procedes to die in an epic way as most mobile suits pilot die. Screaming, and then swallowed by light or inferno, occassionaly a beam saber too.

Annnnnywho, me and my friend are doing this crazy ass marathon of Universal Century era Gundam in chronological order. So far the pattern is as this... Please correct me if any of this is wrong, we want to get this right.

Mobile Suit Gundam
    8th MS Team (we're skipping this one, its fresh in our minds)
    Ms Igloo
    War in the Pocket
    Stardust Memories
    Zeta Gundam
    ZZ Gundam
    Char's Counterattack
    Gundam F91
    Victory Gundam
    G-Savior Gundam (Yeah, we're going to watch it, somehow)

So far we've done just Mobile Suit Gundam and MS Igloo. Man I gotta say, so far we're just being blown away by all this. Me and my friend just finished Gundam Seed (not bad) and we mostly see the alternate universe Gundams (but 8th MS Team is our favorite). We love at how mobile suit pilots scream at each other, argue with each other as they're shooting each other, dying in epic ways. Man it gets crazy.

Cant say I've really had this much fun for watching an anime in a long time.

2. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

3. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Slightly altered list

Ms Igloo - Parts is before the orginal the rest is after or during
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    8th MS Team (we're skipping this one, its fresh in our minds)
    War in the Pocket
    Stardust Memories
    Zeta Gundam
    ZZ Gundam
    Char's Counterattack
    Gundam F91
    Victory Gundam
    G-Savior Gundam (Yeah, we're going to watch it, somehow)
    Turn A Gundam - finishes all lines

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

All of UC Gundam is on my hitlist, but the fact that i'll have to download almost 150-odd episodes of fansubs to plug the gaps in the DVD range and that i'll have to import almost everything that actually is out on disc is a persistant deterent.

I'll get round it eventually thougth and i'm not going to ruin the trip by watching the newer rehash shows first.

5. DaggersRage

I've sampled a few episodes of Zeta Gundam (main character's a jerk) and I'm confused at seeing the Federation/Titans using Zaku style mobile suits. Any reason for that?

6. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    After first gundam ended, the federation took control over most of Zeon's mobile suit development and research facilities as well as the design teams. I think it became a cost issue as well as Aneheim Electronics producing underperforming Mobile Suits until the Gundam MK II was developed by Kamile Bidan's father.

Plus, it was easier to show the Titan's/EF as the badguys this way =)

And good luck finding a good sub of ZZ gundam. While I do love the series, you might want to watch the 3 Z Gundam movies as the ending totally disreguards ZZ Gundam.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

ZO, are the original MSG compilation movies missing anything worthwhile from the series or do they just chop filler?

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
  9. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    pretty much chop filler. actually, they're the version to watch as all the sequel series use the movies as canon history.

The movies do away with some of the more rediculous designs like most of the early Zeon mobile armors and the G-Armor (which was replaced by the much cooler Core booster)

10. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Kamille gets better as the show goes on ('side you would be a bit of a douche to people too if what happens to him happend to you).

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    G-Savior Gundam can be ignored, it's been kicked out of the franchise.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i been re-watching Gundam Wing myself

[just recently bought the whole series + Endless Waltz on DVD]

lovin it

really wanna track down more Gundam DVD's

Always wondered tho, maybe you can clear it up

whats up with the movies?
    I've heard alot of different things as far as what they are and the content they contain [just select moments from the original Gundam series? The Original Gundam series but with new animation? both? the definitive version of of the original Gundam series?

just curious.

i already have the jist of the Gundam storyline by playing all the various games so would it be enough to just get the movies and be set? Thats the way i'd wanna go. especially if its got a lot of new/updated animation in it.

13. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    ok, the compilation movies...

with FIrst Gundam (MSG), the movies are a retelling. Movie 1 is almost all animation from the first part of the series. Movie two is about 50/50 and Movie III is mostly new. The story is relatively the same, but some events are shifted or ignored. The trilogy is historically canon for the series that take place after First Gundam.

Then we have the Zeta Gundam movies... it's a pretty faithful retelling of the series, but the pacing is very rushed in the first one. It's hard to tell how much time has passed between events. It gets better in the other two movies, but these aren't canon. Not giving away the ending, but how the third movie ends completely destroys the set up for ZZ Gundam.

exactly. nothing made sense in it. The mobile suits are big again. in F-91 and V Gundam, mobile suits were starting to get downsized since it was cheaper to manufacture and they were performing better than the larger suits.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  14. DaggersRage

Me and my friend want to keep this cannon. We've already watched MSG, Igloo, and War in The Pocket.

We watched the movies of Mobile Suit Gundam, not the series. Should we do the same for Zeta Gundam, or are we set with the TV series?

We're still gonna watch G-Savior, despite how bad it is, we're going to check it out!

By the way, Gundam Alex is so fricken cool! That mobile suit is an upgrade but not over the top.

15. cagliostro

If you want to go strickly with cannon then when it comes to Zeta go with the tv series not the movies.

Don't bother with G-Savior it's not cannon any longer and its Terrible and not funny terible just completely suck ass painful to watch terrible.

If you want a far flung series to cap off the U.C. continuity go with Turn A Gundam (it ends all continuitys).

16. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

you know I disregarded double z of cannon after I saw zz and the Z movies a few weeks ago.

and well Im ok with it ...granted Im just being bitter because zz wasnt what I was expecting-yes even after most of you guys gave me warnings not to expect to much of zz until the end. and I prefer camille getting a happier ending.

Part of me still wonders if Ill ever find the Nu gundam insignia to slap into a pin/ sticker.

17. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should probably watch Stardust Memories a few times in a row, as once just isn't enough to absorb all the awesomeness that is Kawamori-designed hyper-tech Gundams duking it out.

18. DaggersRage

This'll be my 3rd time watching Stardust Memories. It was my favorite Gundam, ever, but then after watching 8th MS Team a 2nd time, I switched it. I like the characters more in 8th MS Team, and the mech combat appeared more realistic, the stuff pulled off made more sense to me.

Any who, sounds kinda bad that I rated a cartoon based on how "realistic" the action is, so far I like all the Gundam I've see, Armaro is an amazing character, Char makes my chin drop, and I get mixed feelings about Bright, he's cool and then not.

19. cagliostro

:lol  That's just how Bright is, but in the end with what happens in Hathaway's Flash I can't help but bad for him.

20. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

That line was mentioned before Trowa Spun Heavyarms with its knife out and cut up the Aries. A non-exploding kill.