There Will Be Blood

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jeremy.B, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't see a review of this film, so I'll throw it out there..

If you want a movie that is non stop action, this is not for you. If, however, you are a fan of Daniel Day Lewis, as I am, this is one of his best performances (up there with Bill the Butcher from GONY). It took me a few to catch on to the movie, but it is a very cool and well written film. I really don't know how else to describe it other than DDL is one of the best actors ever.

Also, it was based on an Upton Sinclair novel called "Oil!", which I have never read. Many of you may have read parts of "The Jungle" in school; same author.

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's good, very good, but also very very loooooooong.

3. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was really long. I watched it and AVP2 today, so it was quite a contrast.

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

^^ = truth.

I just rented/watched this Sunday..and he was just fucking amazing. Like..scary good. I'm belatedly revising my top 3/5/10/whatever films of 2007 and bumping No Country for Old Men to a close second.

5. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Was There will be blood like No country for old men(which I saw and didn't really like)

6. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I have not seen that one yet. Wanted to watch it but got these two plus we own the night, a great movie as well. May go back this weekend for NCFOM.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I.

Drink.

YOUR!

MILKSHAKE!

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I absolutely LOVED There Will Be Blood. One of the best movies I have seen in a very long time.

9. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This is honestly the best (and most substantive film) that I have seen in years and years. Absolutely amazing. (And yes, the novel is really good as well but a completely different presentation and a bit more overtly political in tone.)

10. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Actors that can disappear into their roles are the best. DDL is probably the best of this generation that immediately comes to my mind.

The movie is an amazing character study. When you start to sympathize with a character who has very little redeeming value (and is not trying to be an "anti-hero"), you know you have some good film going on.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I'm a little hesitant about movies where the main thing people talk about is an actor's performance. While I appreciate a good performance and it can be crucial to a film, it doesn't make a good movie.

Gangs of New York is a perfect example. Awesome job by Lewis, but still a shit film.

That's not to say it's not a great movie. I haven't seen it. Haven't even seen a trailer or anything either. I will rent it though once it's on Blu-Ray, and I hope it lives up to the hype better than No Country for Old Men (It was OK). Very long is fine by me as long as it's good.

12. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    That's surprising, because I really liked Gangs of New York. I thought it was a good all around film.

This film is deeper than that one, and has a very unique presentation. But the character development is phenomenal, and while DDL did a fantastic job, everyone in the film was great.

13. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:

i inclined to agree with the perspective. i saw There Will Be Blood this weekend, and while i thought DDL did a phenomenal job, the movie itself was just ok to me. my friends loved it and clapped at the ending, but it didn't do the same for me i guess. still DDL definitely deserved his oscar