There is something worst than Red Ring of Death

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To show that I am a fair man, I am going to take a Stab at Sony.

Last night I was playing Wipeout. Now mind you, the game gets pretty brutal towards the latter levels, and is merciless in its awarding of even the bronze metal, making advancing a task for the Smangs and the precise.

So it was with much practice that I finally found myself running some pretty solid races and time trials. I was on the 3rd lap of a 4 lap time trial and I was doing GREAT, and then the shitty bluetooth controller does its bullshit and loses sync, so I run into a wall, and in Wipeout, you can't even compensate for 10 miliseconds of lost time, much less the 2-3 seconds it take for the Blutooth controller to resync.

I know that keeping a wire attached helps with this problem, but then why charge 60 bucks for a wireless controller in a medium that often requires split second action and precision?

Sony has addressed a lot of issues, but as far as I can tell the biggest one involves actually being able to play the games. I remember on Uncharted walking off a cliff and thinking that it was part of a cinematic, only to realize that it wasn't and that my controller had lost sync and Drake had gone off the cliff because it was the last command I had made.

They seriously need to address this shit, or just do away with Wirelsss completely and make wired controllers for 20 bucks less.

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

That sucks, i never had any wireless problems with my regular controler or Dual shock 3

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it stopped for a long time and it started up again. I wonder if DS3 helps. I haven't invested 60 bucks in a new controller because I didn't want to support this broken system for controlling.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    but you cant play with wire if you want to ?

I have only unsynce my Wii remote once. because mario ended up in a firey pit and it just got all crazy.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes I play with the wire and it works fine, but I just moved and my PS3 is further way from me than it used to be so I need an extension. You can also have the controller plugged into the wall or laptop charing and still play. It's convenient and very cool, but not when it doesn't work.

I think you can even use the controller on your PC.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is the first time I ever heard of this happening, and even still this is far from being worse then the RRoD. This is a problem with some controllers, most likely a very small fraction, and even then is only temporary. The RRoD is the literal death of your Xbox with no way to fix it outside of shipping it back to MS in a carboard coffin.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only reason I think it's worst is because it's an issue that has been talked about online and people have expressed concerns about it, and unlike MS there is no mention of a possible solution, so if you are playing online with people or in a situation of secrecy in a game, it can ruin your game experience, and while it's not the same as the system dying, it's not being addressed either.

8. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

My console dying a horrible, painful death in front of me, with no means of resurrecting it and not being able to play all my new games seems far worse than a wonky controller.

The controller problem does sound annoying as hell, but I'd rather be annoyed at crazy ass control problems instead of living in constant fear of my console being killed... You never know if today will be its last...

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I can see that, which is why I buy most multiplatform games on the PS3, but this didn't start annoying me again until Wipeout because in any other game (it would happen on Ratchet too) I could just compensate, but I can imagine playing Motorstorm or GT online and running into a wall like an idiot. So while my RROD title might be an exaggeration, MS is working on it. I have not heard anything. Even an admitting that early controllers were bad would be enough for me to go buy one and take my losses, but I don't even know if a new controller will help.

10. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd never actually heard of this problem aside from you either. Sounds more likely to be faulty hardware in your controller as opposed to something that Sony can address.

11. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    (Sorry if this is off-topic, but...)

I'm STILL having trouble with my Virtual Console on my Wii. All other buttons work just fine except when I'm TRYING to press Start. I want to reformat my Wii, but I'm afraid that I'll lose all my memory (I do have an SD card, and I could move all my stuff onto it, but I'm also afraid that the memory on my SD card won't be able to copy back onto the Wii...).

Anyway, sorry to hear you're having problems with your controller. However, if I were you, I think maybe getting a DualShock 3 controller might help.

12. newguy

newguy i

thats never happend to me. This will seem like a retarted question, but did you check to make sure the controler was charged? Maybe theres some dust, but this is why you keep recipits

13. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

You live in a app or house? Maybe other electronic item screwed the pooch? i mean sync? I used both Ds3 and Sixaxis and ever had a problem

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I've had that happen a few times. But I feel like it had to do with turning on my BT headset while playing Resistance online. So maybe try a new controller bro.

I will say I need to replace my Six Axis since the left stick gets stuck upwards. Now that's irritating. Oh well, I'll have 2 dual shocks soon enough.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes I do live in an apt, and I thought that the reason was interference from other BT devices, not least of all my own headsets, but it still sucks ballz