There Goes My PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    60GB with PS2 compatibility. Was in the middle of playing a game and it shut down. Turned it off and back on. Quick yellow light followed by blinking red light. Hoping I can get it on long enough to pop the disc out, but so far no luck. Probably going to have to send it in and keep my fingers crossed that I get the same system back.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That sucks. I miss the PS2 capabilities of my old 60GB. Good luck on the refurb.

3. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Same thing happened to my same model a year ago. Sucks. :(  I tried, the self-fix, but only worked long enough to get the game out. The insides were fried.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear. If only new PS3's had backwards compatibility.

5. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    Well I understand a number of PS2 games are available for download on the PSN now. So you might get lucky and be able to get your game on a brand new system.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are currently like 9 PS2 games on PSN. None of the games I own will ever be released for the PSN download service.

What sucks is that the game stuck in the system is a rental. And from what I understand, Sony will not send the disc back regardless of what you tell them.

7. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    That's rough, it happened to me a few months back...lost my Mass Effect 2 save in the process, and I was half way through Yakuza 4 too. :( 

Being an international, sending it out to Sony would've ran me at least 160$, more if you factored in shipping.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine stopped reading disks. :mad 

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Have you sent it yet or did this just happen? If it was the latter, you could try to "tinker" with it and get the disk out that way.

10. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

If you do anything like that to the system, it voids it's warranty. So I don't think he'd be able to send it back to Sony, or at least without paying if he isn't currently.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Who say's that they'll ever find out?

12. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

have you tried holding down the eject button while it boots up? That's how I got my disks out when my PS3 died.*glad I switched to a 360 slim after the 2nd time it died* Hopes it works out for you.

...Seriously thinking of not getting another console next gen and just spending 500$ to get a decent pc that can run games after the problems I've had with that PS3

13. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I doubt a 60gb still has a warranty. Even with extended warrantys, they usually only run 3-4 years. I know mine ran out years ago.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn, that sucks Joe. Me, myself, I'm on my second 60 GB PS3. Mine YLOD'd after about 3 years. This one's been a stud though.

15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I've been through this twice.

Just got my system back today actually.

Some advice:

-Sony WILL send you your disc back. I got mine back the first time.
    -Sony will NOT guarantee that you will get your system back. They WILL guarantee you will get your model system back.

The question you have to address is how valuable your data is on the system.

Sony WILL wipe your hard drive upon getting your system. They don't care. It's the first step in the process.

What has happened in your system is one component or another has broken off of the board. It's the exact same thing that happens to 360's with RRoD.

IF the system shut off when it was saving, your HD is pretty much fucked anyway. If not, you have some other options that will let you keep your data.

There is a business called Gamer Doc in the Philly and northern Delaware area. They will fix your system for around the price Sony charges and they will not wipe the HD going forward.

The technical issue is actually really easy to fix. You don't NEED Sony to do it.

The first time this happened was shortly after I got my used 60 gig. I didn't care about the data, so off to Sony it went. Four years later, it happened again to me this past Sunday. Only now...I had 200+ gigs of stuff on my system.

Knowing that my HD was fine, I pulled it out of the system and put the original back in for who ever was going to repair it. The catch is, had I gone with Sony and they sent me back a different system than mine, I could not put my HD back in and be fine.

There's a unique identifier that pairs a unit to the HD.

Going to a local repair shop is absolutely the way to go if your data matters. Not only were they faster and cheaper, they were willing to listen and do everything needed to repair the system without data loss.

...I hope that made sense. If you have specific questions, hit me up.

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Is it possible to transfer all the data onto an external drive? Since my PS3 is only a disk reading problem, I'd like to have all my information intact if possible.

17. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

It is. This thread's old, but what they say is worth a try(I don't know if any updates have changed how you'd do it): How do I transfer all of my HardDrive Data? | PlayStation® Community Forums
    I may actually try that tomorrow, I've got a lot of stuff on my PS3 I'd hate to loose.

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think I tried that but with PSN using that PSPlus thing now where they want you to move all your stuff online to their storage and charge you a fee, I'm not sure if using external hard drives are an option anymore.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The two things I want to get off my data is the song transfer keys to my Rock Band 2 and Green Day Rock Band.

I actually have an extra PS3 (brother in law's) that we're using now but I couldn't get the song transfer key off the old PS3. I've already re-downloaded all the DLC for my Rock Band games but I can't access the Rock Band 2 and Green Day Rock Band songs via Rock Band 3 as the keys are on the old PS3 and can't be reused for the second PS3. So if I wanted to play the Rock Band 2 and Green Day Rock Band songs, I'd have to eject RB3 and load up RB2 or GDRB.

20. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

... I just bought a PS3 slim after my 40gb PS3 died a 3rd time on me. And each time it did it was hardware related. No I never sent it to Sony no need to spend close to 200.00 if you know how to do it yourself. I figure before I go online with the new system I'll transfer all the data from the 40gb HD to the slim.