There are 3 Punisher films, but which is best?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Which do you favour?

1. 'The Punisher' 1989

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. 'The Punisher' 2004

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. 'Punisher: War Zone' 2008

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Still waiting for the good film.

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    War Zone. While some parts are goofy and over the top, Ray Stevenson is imposing and scary. He WAS the Punisher. Not to mention his kill count was remarkable and gory, whihc is really what Punisher is about.

Thomas Jane's version is OK, but Jane's Punisher is too much of a pussy, and he isn't imposing at all. Looking at him, I thought, pretty boy vigilante more than "OH $#!t!" which is what Stevenson and Dolph (to some extent) made me think.

Dolph's version is 80s camp comic action, and I love it for that reason.

2. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Stevenson's Punisher, as well as Dolph's, were the sort of guys you knew it would be wise not to mess with. Jane's Punisher is the kind you wanna prod and kick and see what he'd do.
    I really like the in your face unapologetic violence of War Zone, as well as the 1989 film.
    WarZone also had one of the best action movie endings of all time with Soap's mugging.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I actually just purchased WZ, so I'll wait until I watch it to actually vote. I like the 84 version for some reasons, and I like the '04 version for some reasons. I've yet to watch one that I totally dig.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ok, so I just finished watching P:WZ. I feel just a slight bit uncomfortable discussing the three movies to compare and contrast simply because it's been quite a while since I've seen the other two. The second movie hasn't been too long, but long enough that it's not essentially fresh on my memory. The first film I've not seen in quite a while, but (besides Dolph Lungdren as Punisher) I really remember just not liking it a whole lot. I would like to view the first film again just for kicks.

However, I do feel confident to say that I like the latest film the best for a few reasons. I really feel Ray Stevenson captured Frank Castle/the Punisher the most out of the three actors who've played him. I already noted that I like Dolph Lungdren as the Punisher, and I also really like Thomas Jane as well. Actually, the reason I have been hesitant to watch P:WZ simply because Mr. Jane didn't reprise the role (I'm not a huge fan of different people playing the same role, especially if it's done well). I just feel that Mr. Stevenson handled the armory and the combat skills the best. I don't feel that Mr. Stevenson is the best actor overall out of the three (I'd award that to Mr. Jane). I liked the amount of humanity Frank Castle/the Punisher displayed in this film and also how well Mr. Stevenson delivered this. It was sufficient, but not overboard which is how I'd expect Castle/Punisher to actually be.

I like P:WZ overall as a movie better than the other two (keep my very first statements in mind here, though). I feel the movie was a "Punisher" movie moreso than the other two. As much as I really like the second movie, I always thought it was too much of a hodgepodge of multiple Punisher lore. Perhaps since this movie only focuses on War Zone it gives is more specificity? I think that may be hard to say, but that's the most I can offer there.

I don't feel that any of the three movies are the "perfect" Punisher movie, but after viewing this film, I came to realize that for me to expect such is a bit unrealistic and nearly useless anyways, at least for comprehensiveness. I have years worth of comics for that, and I don't need a single movie to attempt to pack that in. What I do want is something faithful to the source material while also allowing the creative team to put its own "stamp" on it. I think the photography of this film does just that. In terms of imagery, I think this film does the best in illuminating both John Romita, Jr. and Tim Bradstreet. I never cared for Mr. Romita, Jr.'s style, but since this is War Zone, I'd expect a little nod to him. I'm particularly a Bradstreet fan in that I feel his style captures the most of Punisher in a single image.

I'm not really writing a "review" of Punisher: War Zone (even though it may feel like it just a bit), and I'll even say that I think P:WZ has some things that could have been done a lot better. I simply want to stay on topic here to cast my vote and share just a little bit as to why I think this way. :) 

Jigsaw was great, and Wayne Knight as Microchip was great as well.
    but I didn't like him getting killed despite this happening in the comics

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. Hand Of Omega

Thats...thorough. I think there's potential for Soap and Budianski, Micro aside.
    I agree with your points on WZ, it was adequate, not too much, not too little, and Stevenson did a very good job.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I agree with you there. I think they made Soap a bit too wimpy though. Maybe that's just me not liking cops portrayed that way . . . .

7. Hand Of Omega

The other cops were fine. Soap is only Frank's flunkie and informant anyway.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Just out of curiosity, how did people feel about the Punisher videogame? The one on PS2 and Xbox that was basically an exceptionally violent 3rd person shooter. Kinda relevant 'cos Thomas Jane voiced Frank.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, and I realized I was being nit-picky when I posted it. He just seemed a bit too scared of his shadow at times, especially the last scene. I agree with you about the other cops as well.

10. Hand Of Omega

What better cop for the Punisher to dominate and control? Still, I get the impression that for all his cowardice and such that he wouldn't betray Frank for anything. There is, to me, an underlying loyalty that seems very strong.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

ZMOG zombie thread etc

Just watched Warzone. I want more of this Punisher. No subtlety, no fucking about, just making bad guys dead. To me, this made the Jane film look like the piss weak tosh that it was.

12. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I forget which one I voted for before but...
    War Zone. Yay.