There are 3 Punisher films, but which is best?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Which do you favour?

1. 'The Punisher' 1989

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. 'The Punisher' 2004

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. 'Punisher: War Zone' 2008

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Still waiting for the good film.

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

So, there are 3 Punisher films in existance.

1. 'The Punisher' 1989 starring Dolph Lundgren.
    2. 'The Punisher' 2004 starring Tom Jane.
    3. 'Punisher: War Zone' 2008 starring Ray Stevenson.

So, which one do you favour?

Personally, I rate them 3, 1 and a distant 2. Jane's movie is too different from the books, too sappy, too cliche and too goofy in many scenes.
    Dolph's is also, much more so, amended from the comic book as well, but is a classic of 1980s action - gritty, violent and unapolegetic.
    Stevenson's is the crowning jewel. Balancing everything perfectly and being dead serious about it.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I voted for War Zone. I thought that was excellent.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Just curious are they sequels or stand alone films?

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Dolph all the way!

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Can't really answer that since I don't remember the 84 film too well. I'll go with Jane's.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still waiting for the "good" one.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

My biggest problem with Jane's is that the characters are directly based off a story done by Garth Ennis and the movie was NOT that story. Had they stuck to that story, it probably would have been a good movie.

8. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have only seen the last two so I can only judge from them.

"War Zone" seems to be a more accurate depiction of the Punisher character but the 2004 version felt like a better film (wacky character antics notwithstanding).

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They really have nothing to do with each other in terms of narrative. Punisher: War Zone is like Incredible Hulk. A soft reboot that takes the character/concept back to a more "classic" interpretation. After a first movie that deviated a lot from the comics (Hulk and Punisher). Without doing an origin movie again.

10. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Either the 89 Punisher (Dolph brings his A game to this) or 2008 (so much fun)

While the 2004 (I do like Jane in the role) is more like The Prankster than the Punisher.

11. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Either the 89 Punisher (Dolph brings his A game to this) or 2008 (so much fun)

While the 2004 (I do like Jane in the role) is more like The Prankster than the Punisher.

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hell's yes! How can you improve on Dolph?? Anyone remember how the Rocky franchise went downhill after the appearance of the incredible actor that is Dolph?

13. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    The Pushiner (2004). I never took this character seriously (outside of of Spider-Man: TAS, where he's just a complete ass who gets rightfully owned by Man-Spider) until I watched the 2004 movie with Thomas Jane. I found some respect for the character and even read a couple of the comic books my brother had and enjoyed them, despite the over-the-top violence. The only thing I can complain about in the 2004 film is John Travolta; I really don't think that guy is that great an actor. The 1989 movie was damn cringe worthy in every way possible (Dolph Lundgren can't act to save his life). Its the same for the 2008 film as well. I seriously wish they'd kept Thomas Jane on for the sequel that never was.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Dolph and Thomas Jane flicks both have their charms. The Dolph version is obvious. The 2004 movie I stand behind regardless of its flaws mostly because of Jane's love for the project. He was perfect for the Punisher, and made the movie regardless of the problems because he was holding out to do a better sequel. And I really respect him for stepping away from War Zone because he saw the script and said it was horrible.

War Zone to me is a load of campy, flashy crap. At least the Dolph flick had the excuse of being in the 80's trying to make its way against Schwarzenegger and Stallone vehicles. Watching last year's blunder gave me bad flashbacks of Batman & Robin. Especially with their horrible over-the-top version of Jigsaw (the whole "Patton" reference drove me up the wall).

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Haven't seen War Zone yet but the Dolph version was much better than the Jane version

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Pretty much what I was going to say. Jane's one might have been good if they'd ditched the neighbours, had Frank actually kill people rather than piss about with cunning plans... basically, if it had been a totally different film.

17. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only seen Dolph and Jane ones. I love Jane's better.

To me I think it is a bit better. He is less the psychotic mad man, and more revenge orientated. What better way to get back at the one who killed your loved ones, than to make him paranoid and wrongfully kill those that he loves. Jane made Travolta kill his wife and his best friend. He set them up all while causing major problems for him.

If he simply killed the wife or the friend. Travolta would be sad and pissed. Make them seems like they are betraying you, and he'll do the work for you. Then before you kill him and you've taken his empire and son, you tell him the ones he killed were indeed loyal and that he killed them for nothing. That is pain. Killing a cheating wife or a disloyal worker means nothing. But killing someone you loved and loves you hurts.

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

To me, that misses the point of the character. The Punisher doesn't care about how the baddies feel, he just wants them dead so they can't harm anyone else.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is still going to kill them. It just adds to the suffering before they die..

20. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

2004 Punisher movie has Frank Castle all too good and sane for my tastes. '89 Punisher has a total "I'll kill you if cross me" vibe, with Frank being a complete sociopath and a cold blooded killer (me likey very much). 2008 Punisher is somewhere in between. And we all need some more Ray Stevenson.