Theory about Transformer propulsion: How Megatron reached the Nemesis

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RedWolf, Oct 28, 2010.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Revenge of the Fallen introduced us to one method transportation, Space Bridges, which is akin to a Wormhole if one is to think about it. Folding space and utilizing a Wormhole for instantaneous travel.

[​IMG]

But the primary method of space travel Autobots and Decepticons use does not involve Space Bridges. We merely see the Autobots, Decepticons, Starscream and Megatron leave and reach planets under their own power.

The Alcubierre drive could explain Transformers primary method of space travel. Stretching space in a wave which would in theory cause the fabric of space ahead of a spacecraft to contract and the space behind it to expand. The ship would ride this wave inside a region known as a warp bubble of flat space. Since the ship is not moving within this bubble, but carried along as the region itself moves, conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation do not apply in the way they would in the case of a ship moving at high velocity through flat spacetime relative to other objects.

[​IMG]

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If Megs had this ability, why didn't he use it to appear right next to Bumblebee and snatch the Allspark in the first movie?

3. RedWolf

Alcubierre drive does not fold space merely staying in a warp bubble being carried along to the destination. Presumably all Transformers of Optimus and Megatron's generation utilize this in space travel.

This differentiates the method used by the Fallen and Seekers which do fold space traveling via wormhole.

4. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Honestly, between this thread and the "brothers" thread, I'm not sure you've actually watched the movie.

Megatron had giant, blue thrusters that he used to rocket through space. Rather than pulling some theory completely out of the air, why don't we just conclude that he used reaction thrusters, AS SHOWN?

Or, we could all sit around and come up with completely unsupported pet theories: Megatron is addicted to the Spice and folds space like a Spacing Guild Navigator, or how about Megatron clicked his ruby-red slippers and wished himself through space. There is as much support for either of those as there anything other than what we actually saw on screen, i.e., big ol' thrusters.

5. RedWolf

Cause scientifically speaking one can't exceed the speed of light with just thrusters. Not to mention in the movie itself Sam mentions one can't exceed the speed of light in this dimension. Theory of relativity applied.

Alcubierre drive theory and Wormhole theory does not violate relativistic physics.

6. Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid Well-Known Member

Its a fictional film, based on a cartoon series, that charts the comings and goings of talking robots that transform into vehicles.

Who cares if it's scientifically correct? Do you re-watch the cartoon and point out all the flaws in it?

Watch and enjoy my friend!

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Because we wouldn't have a movie?

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just chalk it up to the horrible short time lapses that plague the movies - NEST flying across the Atlantic in the space of about half an hour, very fast sunsets in Qatar, Barricade chasing Bumblebee all day without Sam & Mikaela at least needing the toilet.

9. Sideswipe94

Sideswipe94 Autobot

News Credits:
    woah, i think things are getting waaay to technical here..

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

What if he had tachyon-powered thrusters? Even though they're theoretical, tachyons can travel faster than light. I think that could work.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    We didn't need to see his entire flight.

Plus, he's a made-up alien robot. He tracked the Allspark from Cybertron to Earth under his own power. Stopping off at his old ship on some planetoid in Sol doesn't seem out of his reach.

12. RedWolf

The Nemesis isn't even in the Solar System. The nebula at the background of the ringed planet and moon prove that.

13. optimus_tractor

optimus_tractor Well-Known Member

Yeah, how dare you think about things, NERD! Stop thinking! The world would be better off if everyone just STOPPED THINKING! STOP IT! STOP THINKING! STOP MAKING ME FEEL STU-- STOP THINKING!

THINKING BAD! IF YOU THINK AGAIN, ME HIT YOU WITH CLUB!

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

ot:

The Alcubierre drive is a theoretical version of a ST warp drive, where you're traveling within a "space bubble", which is traveling within another one, and so on, so the relative speed is sublight, but the speed relative to your destination can be FTL.

(Even fast sublight speed is troublesome, see Gunbuster. :)  )

Transformers usually seem to use "transwarp", which appears to be like SW hyperspace. You're entering a space more tightly curved than your own, and shortcutting through it, or something like that. This would be making use of fifth or higher dimensions. HHGG used probability as a fifth dimension, mostly in a "ha ha, only serious" way, like most everything in that awesome series. :D 

It's fun to speculate.

Transwarp seems to be the same thing as subspace (as in mass shifting, weapon storage), and that has a nice little symmetry to it, doesn't it? You can use subspace to access a dimensional pocket somewhere, or you can bounce off it, or tunnel through it, or something, to access a distant point in your own universe...or a different time, or another universe entirely.

I just love this stuff, of course. :) 

(Actually, I've spent the last 10 eps of my photocomic digging into it, see sig. :D )