THE

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Now I know most of you are probably wondering what this thread is about. Considering its rather short and indescriptive title. Yet, I have to say that those three letters sum up the entire topic of this thread in just one word. It's really quite amazing the significance one word can have, and how easily and how often it is overlooked, especially one of such a small size. And yet, This one word was with most of us every saturday morning, and every time we opened our toybox, and even once in the summer of 1986 when we all went to the movie theatres.

The one specific 'The' that I'm referring to is the same 'The' that for six long wonderful years graced the title of one of our most beloved franchises and best cherished pastimes. I speak only of "The Transformers".

Now known retroactively as Generation One thanks to the existance of it's G2 offspring in the 90's, This series was amazingly the only one to bear "The" as part of it's name. It was even the only one to include it in the themesong, as "The Transformers" when originally sung was a four note measure, instead of the now familiar three note variation, that excludes "The" altogether.

Go to youtube, or open an MP3, or pop in a DVD. Watch the different series openings, and you'll see that 'The' was only included as part of the 1980s run.

When somebody says the I like Transformers, that can be a bit confusing, as that now encompasses an entire genre, whereas if someone were to say "I like The Transformers", then there being series specific, referring to the 80's line. However, the chance of avoiding that confusion is now since passed, as it has now retroactively become known as Generation One, which if you ask me is a ridiculous sounding title, by way of comparison. I will admit, the abbreviated term "G1" does have a kind of zing to it, even that gets old, as is seen by the advent of the term "Geewunn".

Now I suppose the same thing could be said of other media. Take for instance Final Fantasy. Which one you ask? The first one of course, "Final. Fantasy.". That however has now come to encompass the entire series, and is now retroactively known as Final Fantasy I, or FFI. Another example would be for Star Trek starring Kirk and crew. That was it's own series for almost 20 years before anything else came to change that. Then came Picard and The Next Generation (Abbreviated TNG), and now the original becomes retroactive in its title, being referred to by Star Trek TOS or The Original Series. A final example is found in the Indiana Jones series. The original film simply called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", due to it's now three additional film successors has become reffered to by the exhaustingly long title "Indiana Jones: And the Raiders of the Lost Ark". A title of which doesn't make much sense, because wasn't Jones also a raider of the ark? Although he wasn't allied with the Nazi's, I'm sure it still counts.

Back on topic though, I'd like to know a few things. What decides these changes? How did something like this become forgotten? What logic was there behind it's dismissal? Was it really ever all that important? Why bring it back on some of the TRU reissues when the logo was already suffixed with the words "Generation One" from CSI Rodimus Major all the way to CSIX Astrotrain. What made it important enough to bring it back then?

Let us all have a moment of silence for the one beloved word that gave us so much love, and yet to it we gave none. Let us remember the word "The".

This concludes my rhetorical rant. I hope I haven't been the only one who has thought about things like this.

===================================

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

There you go. I used the Season one theme, removed "THE" using Goldwave. This is the result.

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

What?

3. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    what do you mean what? if you read the post you'd understand.

The word 'THE' was nixed from "THE TRANSFORMERS", which was the title for the original series, and has since been known only as "TRANSFORMERS", no "THE". That's the simplest way I know to put it.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I haven't used this one in a while-
    [​IMG]

An interesting report at least, didn't figure "The" ever warranted any attention and barely remember it aside from G1 bumpers on the DVDs.
    DN

5. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    The "THE" still lives one in memory.

I was able to guess what this topic was going to be about by just reading the title after all.

6. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    A little deeper pondering than I would have done. But that's ok, I see what you mean and totally agree. I never realized that I say "The" Transformers all the time and when I think of them it's always G1 that comes to mind.

7. bhaalistik

bhaalistik Shockwave's Love-child

slow day at the office, eh? :wink: 

8. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    I agree. I find myself thinking about this once in a while as well.

9. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    someone should take the G1 theme both opening and ending and remove the one note. I guarantee you it would sound way off then. On second thought, I've got Goldwave, I think I may give it a try myself.

10. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Great observation. I know exactly what you mean. I always remember the narrator saying, "We now return to (very short pause) THE Transformers" I loved that about the old series. Whenever I hear the old annoucers/narrators doing something else I stop and think about where I've heard the voice before

Hey and for another example how about how the Original Star Wars is now called episode IV? I get why they did it but it's in the same vein as losing THE or adding Indiana Jones and the, to Raiders of the lost ark

11. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    next TF series should be called "Those Transformers" or even "Some Transformers".

12. devastator831

devastator831 Mechanical Engineer

I vaguely remember pondering it at one time, but thanks for thinking about it and putting it in words for us

13. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    edited first post with MP3 of G1 Season One with no "THE".

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I like these sorts of musings. Meaningless maybe... or perhaps meaningful in some subtle, personal, nostalgic way.

... but then, I went to art school, so I'm used to thinking like that.

LOL! This gets my vote! :D 

Though seriously, somewhere down the line, you just know we're going to get some revisionist elegiac return-to-form version of TF, which instead of coming up with a jazzy subtitle or gimmick (Armada! Energon! Cybertron! Plus! Zeta! Turbo!), will simply go by the title THE TRANSFORMERS.

You know, like "JOHN RAMBO" or whatever... :) 

zmog

15. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    We know return to A Transformer!

16. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Back to the question, "who decides these things?", I would have to say Hasbro, all along. The introduction of "Transformers: Generation 2" implies that everything you had experienced prior to that introduction was "Generation 1". It was also Hasbro's decision to drop "THE" from the title.

What about around the world? Can anyone chime in about weather or not Takara had made similar name modifications? Or does japanese not work that way?

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    :lolol  Third vote here!

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's also known sometimes as 'Michael Bay's Transformers'. :p 

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Does it really matter if it's "The Transformers" instead of just plain "Transformers"? I mean, if you really want to tell people that you liked the original series, all you have to do is just say "I like Transformers G1," and most people would understand what you're talking about.

20. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    Sadly that's just not the case. When I say G1 to the Average Joe, alot of the time they think it's some kind of new series. G1 tends to sound like one of those silly surnames that sounds cool but doesn't make any sense, like "Neo" or "X" and John Q. Public who hasn't watched it since the 80's or only knows the 2007 film won't know otherwise. What I usually end up saying is "The 80's Transformers" or "The Original Transformers" or something akin to that.

You see, something I don't understand is why was the change retroactively made at all? Every other Transformers line except for the first run of classics, and the 2007 movie line has had a surname like Generation 2 or Energon or Animorphs, all in order to differenciate itself from the original.