The Yangtze River dolphin is extinct

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

It doesn't, I wasn't being serious, just venting about the need for some to blame America first for these kind of things.

2. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Its possibile there are still a shit laod of them somewhere. Just because they have only been seen in and around the Yangtze River doesn't mean they cant be elsewhere. Who knows, a hundred years from now they could be the next Coelecanth.

3. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

ummmm, those odds of it mysteriously returning are not good. the Coelecanth was being caught for ages before the western world recognised it in a market. plus the ocean is big enough to let such things to live. the dolphins niche is completely destroyed. it aint returning.

4. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I'm not really sure why he chose to try and blame the US on this one. Primarily, China takes the blame, of course. however, it's a problem for the human race as a whole. Everything we do effects the environment around us, for good or ill. We, as a species, have to start thinking of ourselves as caretakers of the planet, not it's lord and master. So in the broader sense, this is absolutely a situation that all humans play some role in.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    the thing about the tigers makes me cry inside right now. my user name is my initials + my favorite animal :( 

6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

China is working on developing the Yangtze for dams which is flooding small coastal villages, even large towns and generally f*ckin up the neighborhood. It's no longer the ancient natural river. The industrialization of China killed em and a few more species will probably get packing before they're done.

but at least global warming didn't do it

7. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

That is pretty gross but in new england and in other places we boil crabs and lobsters and probably crawfish alive. I dont know whats worse but I'm sure the human world boils more shell fish alive then it skins cats.

8. Altercron

I never said it was going to happen. But it certainly is possible. Who's to say that they wont pop up somewhere again? Maybe they all adapted to salt water or something and escaped to the ocean. For all we know, there could be some village out in the middle of China somewhere where the dolphins thrive, but no one knows it. Im playing Devils Advocate, my personal opinion is: the Dolphins are gone, aint never gonna come back. But it'd be nice if they were still hangin out somewhere.

They are eating the cats correct? If so, then I have no problem with how they slaughter them. To me it no different than shooting a hog so you can eat it, or chopping the head off a chicken. To them its killing for food. To PETA Im sure its "animal cruelty" or anything else those morons can shout out to get attention these days. With that said, if they are doing these things solely to watch the animals suffer, then they should be shot. But so long as they are eating them, let them do as they please, aint gonna hurt anyone. Except maybe the cats.

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I think its inhumane. A quick death would have been much better. This was slow and had many steps. It looked like torture.

10. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

you sound like a believer of a megalodon surviving by suddenly going from a coastal feeder to deep sea. i shall say this again, its not returning. it takes alot of genertions of such an adaption of which you speak. they where not much into the wide open ocean so they didnt start spreading that way. they stayed in what they had stayed in for millions of years and died when sudden changes was done to their niche enviroment in a course of 100 years or abit more. takes creatures with much faster lifecycles to adapt to such things. like insects. when animals can live up to 20 years old or more fast adaptions are not possible.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, its the slow death that's inhumane...like being "boiled" to death in the case of "Drunken Prawns"!

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

it's too bad that the evil humans killed the dinosaurs or else they might have been able to save the dolphins...
    still tho, it sucks, although you never know, animals are tricky creatures... there might be a few kicking around.

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Yeah, just because their search didn't find any doesn't mean there aren't still 1 or 2 there... Figure 1-2 dolphins in a 100+ square mile area... Slim chance of finding any.

It does suck they're probably extinct, but there wasn't really anything that could be done without screwing up relations with China.

14. Altercron

Chances are you are correct. %99.999999999999999999 correct. I'm just shooting for that %0.000000000000000001 that they may have somehow miraculously survived. In all honesty though, I highly doubt we'll ever see them again. As for a Megalodon, that'd be awesome.