The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jarodimus, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone else see this yet?

I've gotta say, I found it pretty disappointing. I know we were told it's a stand-alone story, like the non-mythology-arc episodes, but... it's like one of the BAD stand-alone episodes. I'm puzzled as to why everyone was brought back together six years after the series ended for... THAT.

Also, I'm confused as to why over half the episodes were chosen for the "Revelations" DVD set that was released a couple weeks ago, ostensibly to provide some background for newcomers. "The Host", "Memento Mori", "Post-Modern Prometheus", "Bad Blood", and "Milagro" had NOTHING to do with the movie's storyline, as far as I can tell. And "Beyond the Sea" & "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" were only related to one throwaway line.

I've just gotta say, MAJOR SPOILERS:

Your main villain is a gay Russian organ courier who's motivation is to save his lover from lung cancer by transplanting his head onto woman's body? Really??!!

Oy.

2. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled at the previews in the theaters and on TV. It looked....blah. Didn't look exciting in the least. And nothing about aliens....:( 

I read on yahoo that it didn't do too well this weekend either. Critics as well as fans are disappointed.

Oh, well...at least I have my X-Files Ultimate DVD set to watch.

3. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    Yeah. $10.3M estimated, according to BoxOfficeMojo. But then, budget was only reported at $30M.

On BOM, at least, the average rating is a "B", so far. I find that surprisingly high. I'm one of the (apparently) few who genuinely liked seasons 6-9. So for me to dislike the movie is saying something, I think.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Yeah, I haven't seen it yet (and I will) but from the reviews so far, I have no idea why they even bothered with it? I mean, after those long six years, why not come back with something that has relevance to the mythology and perhaps ties up things a bit. I guess it's better that it wasn't pursued though as Carter just probably didn't have the story. It's sad because when I first saw the preview I was honestly hoping for more than one movie. I don't see how that could happen now.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im a fan of the franchise, but even I knew that this would be a " wait till its out on DVD and on sale for $6 at Bestbuy" kind of movie. Pretty dumb of them to release it in a summer full of alot of better movies.

6. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I didn't get around to seeing it this weekend. Had better things to do, but I did hear that it wasn't too good. I was a fan of the series so I might catch it in theaters if I get a spare moment. Otherwise, I'll see it on DVD.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I was a fan of the series from Season 2 to 5 and saw the first movie and thought it was pretty good but I have no intention of catching this movie at the theater or on DVD cuz I am pretty sure I'll be disappointed from all the reviews I've read. This may be the last X-File movie we'll ever see.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

So did Fox and Scully hook up or what?

9. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I was really excited to see it but ultimately decided not to after reading about on it on Rotten Tomatoes and reviews. Damn. I think the entire were-wolf story would have been more interesting then what I read. No wonder X-Philes are dissapointed.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *SPOILER*

so the title means:
    "i want to believe in gay russian head transplants can cure female lung cancer?"

*End of Spoiler*

what the bloody friggin hell????
    With Dark Knight making more money than the Mint, Chris Carter brings his D-game?

What kept Chris from making the title relevant?
    an awesome CEot 3rdK sort of movie where Spooky is telling all the starched shirts, "Fucking told you so!" and Scully marrying TOOMS or something....
    not this sad sack of a tale.
    thanks for the head's up.

11. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I liked it I was very satisfied(but I just got into the show two weeks ago) *runs away before every one attacks him.

12. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    A what sort of movie?

I'm hoping they try again for a movie in 2012. They should go back to the mythology and deal with the supposed "final invasion" on the date of the Mayan calendar's end, as discussed in the series finale.

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was looking forward to another X-files movie until I saw the previews.

Then I realized that when the show ended, I was kind of done with X-files as it was. I have no need to revisit it.

Thanks for letting us know that this is a turd I can feel alright about passing on.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even crapfests can make good money with the right advertising. This one totally failed there. I never even saw a trailer in theaters and I had honestly completely forgotten it until I saw a commercial saying OPENING FRIDAY in the middle of the night a few days before hand. Next to no marketing left this with no damn chance anyway even before considering The Dark Knight's insane buzz. I doubt many people outside of the dedicated fanbase even knew about it.

Can't be complete shit judging from the 7 rating at IMDB, though that could easily be the result of a lot of super loyal fans giving it a blind 10

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    so the big question is...

is Scully still hot?

16. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    I wouldn't kick her out of the hammock.

She's not up to her season 5-7 levels, but she's certainly above where she was in season 1-2.