Heavy/Scratch: The Wretchet Ratchet Dilemma

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by erwinsims, Jun 26, 2018.

?

What colors should he get?

1. The 2007-2009 green, his intro colors

75.0%
  2. DOTM AOE grey and green

25.0%
  1. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I have given up, hoping for a line that is in scale. For me, the scale should be the Alt mode since that is the disquise. Then, if the robot needs to be a certain size, the transformation should take care of that. I seem to be in the minority since Robot scale is what we seem to get. I have finally come to terms with the scale of the Alt modes because now all I have to do is place the larger vehicle closer to the camera and now they are in scale.
    As far as the Ratchet mod, you have a lot of work ahead of you but you are off to a great start!

• Like Like x 2
  2. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

Exactly what I think, we can measure cars and have them in scale, Robots remaint fictional.
    You are not alone here, me to want alt modes over robotmodes!

Thanks, I just noticed that DOTM Bumblebee works for the hip-joints and I might use some of his legs.. Unfortunatly, My hip-section misses a leg balljoint, so I searched and bought another box of junkers in the hope I get a good hip-joint
    19+ junkers for just 20 euro including shipping.. gotta love The Dutch Ebay (marktplaats)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fuhzimota

Fuhzimota Well-Known Member

Very intriguing so far! Gonna keep a close eye on this project... great stuff so far!

4. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Yay! ROTF Ratchet have finaly some love!

• Like Like x 2
  5. erwinsims

He sure gets some!

I am waiting for my spare parts collection to arive (bought some junkers)
    But did manage to add detail to the shell.
    Also filled in the gaps between panels and filed it smooth again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  6. Ae38

Ae38 Well-Known Member

looking better by the day!

7. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Well, yes, but robot modes are also defined in scale which makes that a silly argument. We know how big Optimus should be compared to Ratchet, or Jazz to Megatron, etc. We know how big each transformer is compared to a human, and have created sizing charts to showcase the true scale for everyone. The reason I say this debacle is silly is that realistically, both scales are equally as important, it completely depends on which mode you have your figures displayed. These aren't model cars, these are transformers, and so you absolutely must take both modes into consideration.

Now with that said, I'm very interested to watch this project as this mold is shaping up very nicely with the new rear-end, and I'm excited to see how you incorporate this into the robot mode. I found this mold to be pretty fun overall, and I'd love to see it transformed into the accuracy of the SS mold while perhaps maintaining proper scale in both modes.

And if you ever get to that point...taking on the dreads would be interesting to see. They are the one vehicle mode that does annoy me scale wise as a suburban should be far larger than a car and I feel like there's a better way to achieve that proper scale.

• Like Like x 1
  8. erwinsims

Thank you!

I agree with you that we should keep both modes in consideration (I really do by the way) However.. They used real vehicles for the movies, the robots are all CGI. The robots also changed size a bit in each shot to make it look compelling and dinamic.
    The vehicles (since they are real vehicles) stayed the same size in all movies if they were in it.
    Like you I would love nothing more that accuracy in both modes, but if I have a choice, I would choose vehicle mode for an acurate scale.
    That said, I believe that to be a discussion for another time, In this tread it is my silly dream to have those new teeth I saw in Skymart errrr... Have my Autobots and such in one scale :D 

As you can see, I have a scale chart displaying the size (in Metric cm's) of all (autobots but I have the Decepticons to)figures in both robot and vehicle size based on SS Bee,Jazz and Stinger.
    [​IMG]
    (name and actual vehicle size- size of robot- size scale vehicle-size scale robot)

I am curently working with a junker Bumblebee (battleblades) for the skeleton and see how I can use Ratchet's legs,arms and head on this body.
    The reason for bee is the way his hips move and how compact it all can be, basicly I will reshell Bumblebee with Ratchet and atatch his limbs to see if it could work and how to make sure it looks like Ratchet.

Funny you should mention that -*HATCHET*-.. I am looking into this as well however I need to see a SS or TLK bezerker/Crowbar to see if they scale well enough.. I have not seen one before so that would be the first thing to do.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  9. erwinsims

Boy.. this guy!

Curently I am fighting a bit with Battle blade Bumblebee's spine.. No don't worry no gruesome pictures of a hacked up bumblebee with his spine hanging out (as of yet)..

His spine has an amazing feature, his hips are detatchable and extending backward so I can use that in alt mode to fit his legs all the way back into his aft section.
    I might even be able to use Bumblebee's roof hindge to colapse Ratchets roof onto each other when in Robot mode.
    The issue I am facing is while the hips do fit, they are an extremly loose fit meaning standing up for him will be Mission impossible.. So I need to fix that.

Good news is however, that with the hips stretched beyond the crotch, there is room in front for the arms to fold in with room to spare!
    So I am figuring out how it all can fit in there while keeping him transformable and posable.

Next issue to fix will be to see if I will use Bumblebee's balljoint for the hear or if I use another solution. I might or may not want the color atatched, but I want neck-movement to.
    Then I need to figure out how to make him transform, have everything line up and snap tight so he will look good in both modes..
    Since I am going for accuracy.....did I mention I will be keeping a close eye on both Ratchet-bot and his altmode so they do not pass the length/ height that eighter mode is allowed to have/be? Nutcase at work!

But while I keep typing, I know all you guys want to see are pictures of me wrestling with Ratchet so without further delay:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you guys can see, it is a fit, and a good tight one! :D 
    I can almost call him Bee-Ratch!
    The robot fits inside of the back and it is as tight as I would have hoped.

I am thinking of adding the "rear doors" to the botom of his feet so I can have a minimal backpack and get everything in as low as possible (or high if you do count that I want the bottom to be as kibble-free as humanly possible.
    I need to figure out what to do with the bumper sections trough. (oh, and I need to make those ratchet things first..

Basicly he will be a bee-ratch reshell in a Ratchet shell becoming a scale responsible ratchet..

I am rambling, sorry.. here are some more pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So.. what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  10. erwinsims

oh! and on a sidenote.. I am looking to find the right color for ratchet.. his goldish-greenish color is a difficult one.. any tips on where to look for a color code?

A great candidate and more likely to look just right is Testors Gloss Custom Gold Metal Flake (1642)
    [​IMG]

Also an option altrough I think it is to green is Tamya TS52 cady lime green
    [​IMG]
    I think the testors is more movie acurate right?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  11. erwinsims

Another little update.. I believe I have the transformation planned.

it took me the better part of the night but it seems he will fit in the Ratchet body!
    As you guys can see, I decided to add Ratchet's head to the Bee- spine and took off all the bee-body parts (anyone need some Battle Blaade Bumblebee parts?)
    his alt mode will be like this and he kinda is a kibble-less robot ready for.. well.. kibble, he needs to look like the car after all. Also I removed the under bumper pad cause it was bugging me.
    Now on to the next phase, getting the bot AND the car together but still transforming.

of course I included pictures!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  12. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i-like-it-a-lot.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ae38

Ae38 Well-Known Member

I don't believe you're doing this on your own. This looks like the work of black magic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rafael_Oliveira

Rafael_Oliveira Oliver Raf Studio

This is getting even more insane and insane each new update... I LOVE IT!:bay 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

Good ol' Ratchelbee.

Looks great so far! If he turns out as good as your Ironhide he will look awesome!
    Keep at it!

16. erwinsims

It is not magic, just plain old insanity o_O 

Thanks! Ironhide was just some bodyfiller, a knee-mod and some paint
    So I do hope I can make it look like Ratchet was suposed to be this way.. I am a bit scared of cutting up the shell and such.
    But it needs to be done.
    I still need to testfit everything and see if I can get all the pannels to get to where they need to be in Altmode
    I am looking at the Prime1 studio Ratchet for where to put all the pieces if he were real..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So before I cut him up, I will need to puzzle how the transformation could work out. with all the pieces on the places where they need to be.
    by the way.. Should I use the bigger (voyager) Ratchet head on the model? or this one? it looks a bit small

By the way, I ordered the testors lime gold as I think that is the color that matches Ratchet closest.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Rae Ariadne

Rae Ariadne Member

I’m loving the engineering on this a lot,can’t wait to see him finished! Who knows maybe a third party could mass produce your Ratchet figure.

18. erwinsims

I believe they would just need to upscale the SS Ratchet, give him a more acurate paintjob (and transparent rear windows) and better (foldable so they do not stick out in alt mode) hands and simply cash in.. I know they would make a killing!
    I can give them the right measurements if they would be interested :p 

Thanks for the compliment! Today I wasx working so didn't get mutch done except ordering the paint.

• Like Like x 3
  19. erwinsims

"The boys pheromone levels sugest he wants to mess with my altmode"

Well Indeed I do Ratchet!

I have spend some time on fitment and configuration for Ratchet.
    this time no plastic was spared and I used a Dremel, exacto knife and even heavy material to get it all fitting in his altmode.

My plan for his upperbody fell trough, when I transform him, the sidepanels need to rotate around and go onto the other side so I need to figure out a way to use his original upperbody somehow.
    Oh! and see how to hide the arms in altmode (kibblefree remember)
    This was the initial plan: (left) and now the plan how it should be made to work (right)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I plan to use some of his old robotparts on the new robot like his crotch plate and some more bits and pieces:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you might see in the pictures, I removed the hindge/alarmlight thing from the top of the car to make sure his cabin roof is able to colapse into the backpack..
    That leaves me with a roofsection.. now what to do with that..
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Right! I need the wheel and the roofrack to add to the ambulance box and I am going to use the hindge for the truckbed-hatch to colapse the rear section in on itself and use the pegs to make sure it snaps together again in altmode
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    if anyone wonders how the cab looks at the moment without any ratchet to fill it up:
    [​IMG]
    So yeah.. he looks better if there is some robot to fill up the space
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The tape of course is temporary untill I get around to actually make him a transformer, things need to be cut and glued together but I need to make sure his arms, head and torso fit well before altering anything.

I am happy with how his legs fit in there, snug with (after some mods) room for the wheels and pegs to hold him together.
    the heelspurs might become part of the rear bumper, I need to figure out how to get it all happening. if not, they will be covered up by that same rear bumper.
    I will need to go and figure out the upper torso (how and where to atatch it to his new spine, make it work and how to store the arms) and i need to see what I can do to give him the rest of the roofrack and lights

mods to Ratchets body this far:

- modded the frontwheels And removed the " lights" there to get the wheels really flat onto the cab
    - removed most of the truckbed to get his legs able to fit next to the wheels
    - cut of the ambulance lights/hinge on top of his cab and expanded the hole to fit over the spine so it can colapse into the future backpack
    - pulled out some of my own hairs over the upper torse not being able to do what I want it to do.

• Like Like x 4
  20. erwinsims

Just a quick update..
    Ratchet needs a double joint and then he can fit snugly-er in his altmode.
    Snugly-er I hear you think.. but yes.. if it is not a real word, I am making it one now!

He can fit in there now and I have room to spare but Kibble!
    The kibble needs to go and he needs to be clean and snug (hence Snugly-er)

here is the picture of him with his kibble hanging there
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The way I constructed his new spline, the future backpack and the shell is that he has room to spare and I wanted to tuck in his arms the way the DOTM and SS Ratchet do so there is a nice big gap before his legs
    where I want his arms to go. right there where you see the red tape:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I need to go back to my box of junk and see if I can find anything that will make Ratchet bend his arms the way I want it to go and once that is done it is just finding a way to get bthe bumper back on but smake it move and reveal/become his belly the time has come to see where to cut his body to allow him to transform and also find a place where to put all his carjunk.

I am getting quite pleased with this, the way it all goes together and the way his alt mode looks now.. this is Ratchet as he should have been made.. HASTAK PAY ATTENTION! :p ;) 

• Like Like x 7