The worst thing about the Prime aesthetic...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Snark, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...is that the bots' faces are so expressive, it makes the bots from all the other continuities look utterly lifeless.

I was reading some IDW Transformers, and simply couldn't enjoy the experience since I kept thinking how inexpressive the faces looked. It's like the only two expressions a Transformer was capable of was mouth open and closed.

Seriously, those eyes and crazy metal eyebrows in Prime were works of genius.

2. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Isn't that because of the artists though? I'm sure they could get some decent expressions if they tried. However looking at my collection I can't disagree with your assessment.

3. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Because robots shouldn't look like robots, they should look like cartoon characters wearing robot costumes!

Never got the obsession over facial expressions people have. A well designed robot can have a ton of personality represented in his overall appearance, no need for him to look emotive.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOOOL what makes you think that "real robots" are gray man in BLOCKY robot costumes then? Because that's what G1 style is. That's what oldass Power Rangers zord style is. The only difference is that in Prime and other stylized styles they have more dynamic shapes ( which makes them actualy look like living beings instead of toys that were given life by a magical cupboard) ) and their faces don't look like "generic adult male painted silver", but they still have joints, mechanical detailing, bolts, armor, robot-articulation points, helmets yadda yadda yadda.

Just look at them. Why is one "an actual robot" when both are obviously mechanical even in different aesthetics?

[​IMG]

5. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Not sure if serious...

6. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Body language really needs to count for something (Which Prime actually does well ).

I often appreciate subtlety in expression, and don't want to see a reliance on eyes when it comes to robot expression. Personally, I think the Movies took facial expression too far at times, and seemed a bit over the top.

Prime seems to show a little more restraint, which is good IMO.
    But I maintain a good Artist/ Animator/ Puppeteer shouldn't need to rely on eyes and eyebrows to convey emotion effectively.

7. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    It's a matter of inorganic vs. organic artstyle. Using exagerrated and unrealistic proportions can help give a sense of personality, but they can also detract from the realism. Look at character designs for Starscream or Soundwave, they don't even look like functional beings.

But it's really a matter of preferrence. Beuty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. Just because you determine to take is as a personal attack that my preferrences are different then yours doesn't mean that my opinion is actually a personally attack.

8. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

I dunno if everything IDW artists do is inexpressive. Nick Roche, for one, seems to do facial expressions very well.

Category:Images by Nick Roche - Transformers Wiki

But I do understand what you mean. Sometimes the expressiveness of the robot characters can be really stunted when it comes to the comics, and we end up with a lot of "dull surprise".

Really? How so? Is it because they're relatively thin? They've always looked perfectly functional to me.

9. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    How exactly do they not look like functional beings? Starscream is small and spindly but I don't see how he'd have trouble moving a body like that around. Soundwave has much wider legs so I don't think your complaint for him is in any way valid.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Then you obviously didn't read enough. Read anything drawn by Nick Roche. He makes the robots express way more than Prime does.

Now Dreamwave? Yeah.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's kind of the same for me, except for watching the Unicron trilogy...even more so with Energon and Cybertron which the 3D characters. Sometimes I can't even tell who's talking and they're just so boring...hell, I think even Beast Wars gave the characters more emotive animation.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't take your opinion as personal attack, if I sounded aggresive I'm sorry, it's because this isn't the first time I heard people saying "doesnt look like a robot" and I always don't understand people that think like that at all.

And I'll have to disagree at designs not looking functional. Starscream and Soundwave are both aerial robots, fast and sleek, spindly bodies work well for them and gives them a predatory bird feel. And when you think about it, looking like predators and having body shapes that work better for their special functions actulay makes a lot of sense for a robot race, they have different models for different purposes. That is why a robot like Ratchet who is built for medic work is more pudgy and square while a demolition/construction model like Bulkhead is stockier and bigger.

13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love how expressive the cast of TF Prime is! They really get a lot of mileage out of those eyebrows, don't they?

For those that think TFs shouldn't be emotive because they're robots, remember that they're more than *just* robots. They're living machines. There are plenty of robots out there that fit the bill of soulless, emotionless, empty metal shells. Let's not add TFs to that list.

14. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Beast Wars had VERY expressive charcaters across the board, Mainframe was very committed to doing so, that's why we had the Energon-Overload plot device in the first season, the Animators were intially concerned that they couldn't be able to hve the robot-forms emote enough, so they wanted them in the more easily animated beast-forms as much as possible.

They soon realized they could do a fine job with the robot modes as well, and so by season 2 we more or less forgot about the Energon-overload plot device.

D/L

15. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

The worse thing about the Prime aesthetic is the lack of NOSES.

16. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Yeah, gotta admit, this bugs me.

I suppose they don't NEED noses, but they don't need eyes or mouths either, so it's an aesthetic choice I can't really get behind :/

The ones that have nice strong helmet-crests kind of make up for it...

D/L

17. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Really? I love the lack of noses. I always thought they made the faces too obviously human. This way, they retain humanoid faces, but they don't look like spraypainted human beings.

Also, inb4 WHO SAYS ALIEN ROBOTS CAN'T LOOK LIKE HUMANS

18. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

Did this thread really start because someone complained that the models were to expressive, thats like complaining that a car is to good.

19. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

No, this thread started with Snark praising how expressive the Transformers: Prime characters are, and then saying that it's ruined how they view TFs in other series, because they're usually not nearly as expressive as the ones in Transformers: Prime.