The Worst of the Energon Dub

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wollstone, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Browsing through the TFwiki, I stumbled across some of Kicker's dialogue from the English dub of Cybertron and could not believe how horrible it was. Then... then I watched the episode in question, which was "Open Fire!" Holy hell...

It got me wondering what are the worst episodes of this series? I've got a sudden morbid curiosity about this series.

EDIT: Forgot to elaborate, I'm not trying to avoid the worst episodes. I actually want to watch them. :lol 

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The worst? There is so much sagging in the middle of this series, I can't say I'll go back and research it. Avoid the middle 20 episodes or so and you should be all right.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Haha, you misunderstood. I actually want to watch the worst episodes. :lol 

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That actually sounds like Energon rather than Cybertron.

Energon had some very bad episodes, there was one - the eighth episode, Starscream the Myterious Mercenary I think it was - which plain didn't make sense.

"Ugh... Hot Shot's blaster? Why's he giving it to me?"

Bear in mind when this happens A) Hot Shot is nowhere nearby, B) the gun in question comes out of Prime's chest, C) that's not Hot Shot's gun!.

I think it's the outright worst dubbed episode of Transformers ever. Other episodes had unfinished animation, but their dialogue was at least somewhat followable.

All accounts I've heard, Cybertron had a pretty decent dub. Not perfect, but it at least made sense from scene to scene. If you're feeling masochistic, you want either Energon or the Star TV Takara G1 dubs.

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

*head desk* It was Energon. Sorry, I took a break from Transformers during that era. Can someone change the thread title?

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, I don't blame you for not knowing it. I've never been able to get through that series.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cybertron was the better of the two dubs, but both shows were pretty horrible. Though, the opening theme song for both shows make the English dubs sound like Shakespeare.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Kicker seems to be victim to all of the cliche dialogue. The piece that sparked by morbid curiosity was this exchange:

Kicker: "The good news is, I convinced Alpha Q to back us on this one. And that means we've got one less thing to worry about!"
    Optimus: "Huh?"
    [connection closes]
    Misha: "Let's just hope Alpha Q can pull through for us."
    Kicker: "Uh?"
    Misha: "Well, what I mean is... we've got to hope that Alpha Q combined with the Autobots are powerful enough to take down Megatron."
    Kicker: "And our secret weapon."
    Misha: "What—are you saying?"
    Kicker: "The key to this battle is energon. It's just that simple, Misha."
    Misha: "Huh?"
    Kicker: "We will win this."

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going back through some of my old reviews. . .

ep #, title

Ep 23- Each One Fights
    - I remember this one being fairly dull and pointless, though they do drop a building on Tidal Wave at the very end. And Misha was working her feminine wiles on Alpha Q. Aside from that, bleh.

30- Jungle Planet
    Three separate, long-winded speeches about teamwork all wrapped around a tedious space battle. The only reason to watch it is for Inferno's dilemma, but since the series devoted exactly 0% of its time to developing Inferno, it doesn't matter.

31- Bulkhead
    - Just boring. Random battles that drag on for too long. , and a sub-plot about installing a new energon tower that barely ties everything together.

42, Galvatron!
    - A lot of action, but a lot of mindless action. Stuff happens. Maybe it matters. I don't know. If you hate plot and only want to see robots shooting at each other all day (and missing), then this is your episode.

43- Breakthrough
    - Again, a lot of battles, but somehow not much actually happens.

47- Ironhide Team
    - The greatest moment of Autobot stupidity I have EVER seen. Optimus and Omega debate on whether they should stay outdoors in a toxic cloud of energon gas or go through a door that could potentially save their lives. They decide to stay outside in the poison cloud for fear that whatever's on the other side of the door is worse. When the cloud clears up, THEN they decide it's alright to go through the door.

48- Formidable
    - Cybertron farts its way across the galaxy, leaving a green stink cloud that destroys planets in its wake. Prime howls like a moose in labor and grows to the size of a planet. Then he punches Cybertron up a bunch of times to make it stop moving. Yeah.

All the very worst of the worst episodes occur after episode 26 (Ripped Up Space). Up to that point the show was halfway decent. Not great, and certainly full of its idiotic moments, but nowhere near as bad as the last half got.

10. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

I wouldn't know I only got to the 20th episode before I quit watching and maybe the last few after that....

11. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I forgot how awesome your reviews were. I'm gonna go back and read 'em for old time's sake. :D 

Speaking of Energon, I agree that the dub was horrendous. But IMO, it's original Japanese counterpart, Superlink, was just as bad.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Most of them are pretty bad to be honest, then again, most Japanese dubs are horrible. Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh suffer, but that's another story :D 

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Energon is just God-awful. Simple as that.

I can't even remember how many episodes I've watched of Energon before I simply stopped watching it, since it was that bad. I'm even considering getting rid of the Energon box set I have... the only Unicron Trilogy show I like is Cybertron; at least that show is tolerable to watch than Armada and Energon combined.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^^ Must agree, however I did make it thru the whole series once, but Cybertron, I've watched a couple of times more. Good luck getting thru Energon OP!!!

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I decided I was to watch Energon start to finish one day out of a very likewise morbid curiosity, and got to episode 2 before I said "fuck it, I'll just read the TFWiki synopsis' instead" and had an a much more enjoyable time doing so and reading the list of errors and horrors than if I watched the show itself. It's gone past so bad it's good, and is just so bad it's painful.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would "Most of it" be a terribly glib answer?

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The sad thing was when Energon first came out, i thought it was cool, now i look at it and i realize it sucked the big one.

Cybertron however i love to death, after Beast Wars,Animated and Prime it's my favourite series.

18. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Prime is already there, but we've only had 5 episodes! :eek: 

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I collected the whole Energon toyline too. Ugh.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The toyline has aged a LOT better than the show, however.