The Worst Last Roles of Otherwise Great Actors... from Maxim

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Found this on IMDB..

The Worst Last Roles of Otherwise Great Actors...

10. Orson Welles
    Better known as: The writer, director, and star of Citizen Kane, considered pretty much the best movie of all time
    Last role: Unicron in The Transformers: The Movie
    To be honest, Orson had pretty much been a laughing stock for years at this point, his career reduced to drunkenly slurring through wine commercials.

Go here http://www.maximonline.com/slideshows/index.aspx?imgCollectId=118
    for a pic of Orson next to the 1986 TF movie poster...

Just thought it was interesting. I think the larger than life actor (star of so many notorious movies) played a larger than life character in Unicron.

Just more interesting Transformer news...

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I'm surpised Orson Welles wasn't a little higher on that list. He was the best actor on it, and the transformers movie was absolutely horrible.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You evidently didn't see Marlon Brando...did ya?

4. Codimus Prime

I stopped when I saw #10... I thought that was just interesting.

I guess we're a little biased because were in a community who loves Transformers.

Odd to see Richard Harris on there with the mention of Harry Potter... that also has a huge fan base.

Also.. wasn't Mel Gibson the only one on the list not dead?

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They got John Candy's wrong. His last movie was Wagons East, a fairly pathetic film co-starring Richard Lewis. It was about a bunch of pioneers who decide that life is better back east and hire John Candy's character to guide them all back home. Candy died while it was filming, but they'd shot enough footage with him to release it anyway.

Oddly, both John Candy and Chris Farley died while making period comedies set in America's untamed west.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Heh heh.... pretty amusing list. I almost thought Raul Julia wasn't going to be on it, and was ready to cry foul. Ah, but there he was, showing up in No. 2. Phew!

The inclusion of Mel Gibson is pretty funny. :) 

7. Codimus Prime

The Farley movie you speak of wouldn't happen to be Almost Heroes would it?

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I stopped reading when I found their "miss maxim" contest...:ev: 

9. Prime crotch

Prime crotch Well-Known Member

Poor Raul Julia a great actor being honored with the Street Fighter movie.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's fair to have someone on the list who's still alive (Gibson could, after all, have a hit in the future by starring in a film he makes himself), but I agree with most of the others. Orson Welles...I think he did a great job as Unicron, but an extended-length toy commercial is a pretty sad cap to such a great career that I can see why he ended up on the list.

According to IMDB, Canadian Bacon was in '95 and Wagons East was in '94 ('Bacon' was finished first but got delayed), so Bacon would be the last...except that he's also got a voice credit for The Magic 7, which is supposed to be out this year, so that will become his last movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113735/

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Mel Gibson? Is his last movie a huge blockbuster?

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Raul Julia better be on that list...

Yup, he is.

13. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Yeah, that sounds right. Thanks, couldn't remember the name of it.

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I doubt it would be much consolation to any Orson Wells fans that weren't also Transformers fans, but at least Orson's last role was to be the biggest badass of all the badasses ever in the history of Transformers, to the point where his character is STILL referenced, to this day, in nearly every bit of Transformers fiction that's produced as a bad mutha'. That's gotta count for a little bit of something.

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    A sad truth. poor man. He was a great actor in an ugly movie.

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Why is performing a voiceover role in a movie that's become a cult classic over the last 20 years, getting to act in the same scene with the great Frank Welker and Leonard Nimoy, and going out with a movie that's in the same genre that made him famous (sci-fi, War of the Worlds) be considered a "bad thing?"

Having your last flim role be remembered by an entire fandom as one of the greatest animated movie villains of all time is not a bad way to go imho! In fact, instead of "belittled" I feel honored that an actor as great as Orson Welles agreed to do a role in my favorite movie. And the movie was made that much better because people like him performed in it. Orson Welles probably gained fans from a whole new generation like me from his last movie because they wanted to find out more about his other films. And I know from the stories I 've heard at BotCon that the other actors and production people like Wally Burr were very touched by their experiences of working with him.

An actor's gift to his fans is how he made them laugh, cry, be happy, scared, etc. A fan's gift to an actor is how you remember them, and a lot of TFs fans do remember Orson Welles as the great actor he was, not because this was the best role he was ever given or performed, but because he, through his own talent, manged to create one, final, really good character for us to remember him by.

17. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I think it's a safe bet that Maxim doesn't have the same standards for greatness that we do. And, in all fairness, Transformers is a major step down from Citizen Kane (yet a major step up from frozen pea commercials).

18. Fairlady_Z

Anything is better than frozen peas. Carrots! Corn! But not peas!:tongue: 

Citizen Kane is just plain awesome filmaking. One of the best movies than never one the Academy Award. Still, I'l take giant planet eating robots over pushy newspaper men anyday.:D 

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

Yeah, to go from Citizen Kane to voice-acting the bad guy in a kids cartoon has gotta be a pretty big kick in the ego. Still, Raul Julia beats him on this one, hands down.

20. Fairlady_Z

Just because it's "for kids" doesn't = automatic crap. I bet if TFTM had been a Disney animated feature we wouldn't even have this stupid "Oh how the mighty have fallen" stigma problem. Sorry for that rant. I do realize that TFTM is NOT the best film ever made in the history of American cinema, but I don't care! It is and has been my personal favorite movie for the last 20 years! And I am just so sick and tired of the media and cinema books and everything else bashing it without understanding it in context or it's cult following or anything about it. Just dismissing TFTM as a "kiddie toy movie that didn't perform well at the box office therefore it must automatic crap" really @#%&'s me off! Now, if you want to hate TFTM because it killed off your favorite character and traumatised you for life, that I understand.