The World Warrior turns 20

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SpencimusPrime, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
  2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Invented? No. Popularized? Yes.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So how old is Street Fighter 1? I've only seen it once, at an Airport WAAAYYYYY back in the day.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Street Fighter was released back in 1987.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would actually think that ‘invented’ is more correct, although it’s subjective.

While there were one-on-one fighters prior, like Karate Champ and even the original Street Fighter, Street Fighter II was so radically different in what it offered that I think it created its own genre.
    Never before were there so many characters available to one game, and never before did each character have so many unique abilities.
    I think this created the ‘Street Fighter Type’ genre that was much more than the sum of the parts that comprised Street Fighter.

Certainly King of Fighters and a host of other games directly owe Street Fighter II for their existence.

6. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Well I'll be damned, 20 years already? It seems like it was just yesterday that I put my 50 cents in a street fighter 2 machine for the first time.

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

20 years.... damn... i still remember asking my dad for quarters to play SF2 at the supermarket.

hadouken!
    hadouken!
    hadouken!
    hadouken!

shoryuken!
    shoryuken!

tatsumaki senpuu kyaku!

buaaaaa! (echoes)

YOU WIN

8. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Well said, couldn't agree more with you!

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Oh boy.. now I feel old lol.

I still remember seeing Street Fighter II for the first time at a video store next to a supermarket. I was so fascinated by the 6 buttons layout and the myriad of characters that I couldn't take my eyes off it even though nobody was playing at the time. Later I was able to watch mob of people gathering around one machine just competing against each other doing the kind of moves I could never generate on my own. It's weird to look back on it now but at the time I worshipped pretty much anyone who can pull off Hadoken and Shryouken without a hitch. :) 

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man I have some good Street Fighter 2 memories. I also remember the anxiety of having a Genesis while all the happy SNES owners got their awesome Street Fighter 2. I eventually had to get a Super Nintendo. The funny thing was that the Genesis got Street Fighter 2 Special Championship edition less then two years later, but as a pre-teen/teen if felt like FOREVER.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I always been a MK guy but I have very nice memories of SF2 when it came out.

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    At it's core, it's a game where one fighter combats another. Street Fighter 2 is not the first to offer this. It certainly changed the way every single game maker thought about the 1-on-1 fighter. That I will never deny. After it's release, nearly every game company was looking for the "next" SF2.

Invention, by it's very definition, is to create something that did not previously exist. SF2 certainly revolutionized the genre (hell the entire gaming landscape at the time), but it did not invent it.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I say MK did it their own way, MK1 was relesed also in 1991 and if memories serves me correctly was also a big hit for its blood and gore, for going the extreme. The fighting was good and went on nicely although with fewer characters. True the fighting was more fluid in SF2.

But then there is the MK2 that I say easaly contend with the fighting games during the SNES/Genesis.

the whole 90s debatt on what was the better fighting game was always between SF and MK.

The greates old fighting games are easalie of this day and age MK2 and SF2. Both are variated, fun, and uniq in their own way and style.