The world underneath

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

Man that is one of those movies that I've really been meaning to see but it somehow fell off my list of older-movies-that-I-had-never-seen-but-should.

Blue Velvet is on that list too, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on that as well once you see it.

As for the scenery/visuals: I can thankfully say that I don't recall any dreams of places like that. A purgatory like place for our souls sounds like a good idea, but why would it look like that?

A bit more spacey:

Maybe it's the place where the negative parts of us are left when our souls are able to (go to heaven/rejoin god or whatever you want to call it/are drawn back to a universal positive energy source/take your pick). I like to think that we can choose to leave the negative parts of us behind, maybe as a final transcendence towards an ultimate positive goal, so that reincarnation is no longer necessary. Think the reverse is also possible. This is just hypothetical ramble, I know, but it sure is fun to think about! I'm always looking for new views and angles to incorporate in to my belief system.

2. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I had my share of those types of dreams, especially one that I'll never forget… too late to write it down. Tomorrow perhaps.

Wasn't there are thread like this a few months back? I think I recall some creepy drawings by MegaMoonMan and D_C…

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, that was the dream creatures thread. D_C and I put some pics of creatures we've dreamed about in it.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To start off I must say that this is a fantastic thread.

I too know exactly what you are talking about MMM. The odd thing is I tend to feel that a little more strongly when watching some of those "dark future" type of movies like Soylent Green, Equilibrium, 1984, etc. I always just likened it to something that was 1984-esque, but it wasn't really the fact that it was this bleak future, it was something deeper in the structure of the movie. The tone of those movies, the colors, the sounds, just the feel made me feel to a similar disturbingly uncomfortable fashion when I saw Eraserhead (as well as a few other movies that for some reason I cannot recall).

I just always figured it was some intrinsic thing in these movies that was good at making one uncomfortable (real good movie making), I never attributed it to something deeper or subconscious. Now that it has been brought up it really is a fascinating thought, I have dreamed in this fashion and figured it was more influenced from a movie I had seen. And the familiar feeling I would get watching certain movies I would attribute to dreams influenced from past movies. Kind of a circle there, but I am rambling now. I really need to give this some more thought.

All I wanted to say was, I tend to agree and thanks for this thought provoking thread. I hope more people chime in with something to say here.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think Tim Burton has a good grasp on the idea of that dark place as well. While his movies tend to be more on the "fun" side of it (if that's possible), he uses a lot of the same imagery, feelings, settings, and creatures that define what it is.

It's a place a lot of people seem to be familiar with, but it's not something we actively learn. It almost seems to be imprinted in our collective subconscious.

And thanks for the input, Deefuzz!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Eraserhead is a great movie.

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

[​IMG]

All the others listed are pretty damn good, put Eraserhead is just dung, IMHO. It's just something people read too much in and ran with it.

And the chick in the radiator creeps me out.