The "Withered Hope" Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Monzo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Monzo

Monzo Weirdest Fan Experience

News Credits:
    Okay, so we're getting a series of official, illustrated Transtech text stories from the Fanclub by longtime fans Greg "M Sipher" Sepelak and S. Trent Troop. The first one, "Gone Too Far", with Hubcap and Jackpot? Totally hit it out of the park. I'm really looking forward to the next one, so I'm going to briefly address the 1-page comic preview for their next story in the current fanclub newsletter. I know I'm treading a thin line with this, since not everyone has their newsletter yet, so this is going to be kind of vague. But I can't help my excitement!

First off, our mystery artist. Making his debut doing sequential art is none other than the real life Jackpot - Matt Kuphaldt!

http://www.spektakle.com/portfolio/tf/tf_pro.html

Jack's been an online bud of mine for years, and it's great to see him finally have a sequential page under his belt (he's COLORED sequential pages before, but never drawn 'em). I know he's been reluctant to tackle that kind of thing in the past, but the layout, the inking, the colors (by his own hand) - it's a winning run for Smilin' Jack!

Next up is the speech balloons. Now, as a comic aficionado, one of my biggest issues with the fanclub comic has been the speech balloons. I don't think Transformers should "talk" using the normal round speech balloons seen in other comics - American Marvel G1 used squared-off boxes for balloons, Marvel G2 had some simply amazing character-specific boxes... heck, IDW uses faction-color-coded balloons, for that matter. Well, things are looking up for me, as the speech balloons on the preview page (and in Transcendent part 2, as a matter of fact) are now more squared off. Not quite where I'd like them to be, but still an improvement in my eyes. Keep it up!

Now, as for the story itself... wellll. Again, I don't want to give too much away. But in, uh... twenty-four words?

A spider, a birdy, and a certain truck, who gets a SPEAKING ROLE... and is heavily implied to feature in the main story. Feature BIG.

So I hope I've walked that line right, Transfans. Between the plot threads and the promise of new Jackpot art, I'm really looking forward to this story. Hopefully, now you'll be too!

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    [nevermind. i mis-read]

more jackpot! w00t :D 

3. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    we just hit the jackpot! always good to see this guy's work as part of TFdom.

4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Nightbeat 7: Chirp, chirp, chirp. Chirp!

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Actually, if you've read the preview comic page, Nightbeat 7 talks normally. He's quite polite, too.

I though the movie stuff was off-limits, though?

6. Trentulas

Trentulas Born on Monday

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know if the implications of this have really sunk in yet.

The real gear designs were canceled Cybertron product. While that doesn't mean that, say, Meantime could have a story where he stars, I'd guess an unnamed cameo role probably wouldn't cause a brujah. Sort of like how Alternators fiction isn't really possible due to the deals with the car companies but an alternator (or, more accurately, a robot mode that is configured like an alternator) can be seen standing around in a crowd in Axiom Nexus.

-Trent

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Wow, I never knew the Real Gears were canceled Cybertron stuff. Guess that explains their aesthetic better...

Anyways, looking forward to this next story-- your last one was certainly well-done!