The "Why aren't you reading this?!" thread

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by JD, May 10, 2007.

1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Rather than make a bunch of individual threads about comics ppl probably don't give a damn about, this thread will be for discussing the comics you think deserve more attention. I'll go first.

New X-men (volume 2)

At first, this series was mainly about teen drama but through time, it's really evolved into an action packed series with plenty humor and death to keep you entertained. Seriously, a good chuck of the cast were killed off only couple story arcs ago. Not only that but a few classic X-villians have also made their reappearance here too - William Stryker, Nimrod, Black Queen, hell even the weapon X facility got some love. The general feeling of this series is very much like Ultimate Spider-man, so if you like that series you should enjoy New X-men as well.

Here's a few samples from the latest issue of New X-men

[​IMG]

Teh Fuzzy!
    [​IMG]

Oh look it's Megatron...oh wait no it isn't...
    [​IMG]

And just for shits and giggles, here's a kick ass moment brought to you by Ghost Rider #11
    [​IMG]

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, i picked up New X-Men and i like it...and i always did like Scottie Young's art.

as for GR, i stopped picking it up when they had the guest artist (and writer i think) and never went back...

3. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Yeah, the fill-in artist was pretty awful, but he only lasted 2 issues. It did serve an important purpose, though, filling in the gap between "Hammer Lane" and "Road to Damnation".

The arc which followed, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Illinois", has been pretty sweet. Satan possesses the corpse of the Jack-o-Lantern and raises an army of zobies in a rural Illinois town. This last issue was especially good.

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

The Ghost Rider page is cool. What's going on in that book?

If anyone hasn't picked up Nova, it's been pretty cool so far (only two issues in).

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm just gonna throw a plug up for Spider-man Love Mary Jane. Sean McKeever's dialogue is pure genius.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

In the first arc, Ghost Rider escapes from Hell but Satan follows him. Satan gets broken up upon entry into Earth and his essane is scattered all over the Earth where it possesses 100 (I think) freshly dead bodies.

So Ghost Rider makes it his job to track down all 100 Satan-possessed corpses and destroy them.

When the book started it was "pretty good", but nothing incredible. It's gradually gotten better, with this most recent arc being pretty awesome.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't know if other folks aren't reading these, but:

I still love 100 Bullets.

I also love the new Stormwatch P.H.D., but maybe that's just me and my decade long affair with a book that's gone up and down.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Awesome book that you're not reading? Easy. Blue Beetle. Fantastic little book; great twist on the teenage superhero genre. Loads and loads of fun. The art isn't the best, but the writing is amazing (the writer is John Rogers, who did the first draft of the Transformers script).

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ex Machina - a retired superhero becomes mayor of NYC after he stops one of the planes from hitting the second tower.

10. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I've read a few 'Spider-man love Mary Jane' issues and I agree it is pretty good. I might even picked up the HC of it.

Also, anyone reading Irredeemable Antman?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

X Factor anyone?

12. OmegaScourge

love X-Factor...favorite X-title. Love the team too. But the only thing i cant stand is the change in artists every 2 issues or so...

13. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Fable and Preacher

14. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

You're my new best friend... :) 

There's not a whole lot of monthlys that I get into, but one original graphic novel that I found that kicked all sorts of ass was "SOCOM: SEAL Team 7." It's basically Navy SEALS vs. Atlanteans (not the Namor kind--think big fish-faced suckers in armor) against a sociopolitical backdrop. I'd recommend picking it up.

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That probably my biggest problem with comics in general right now.

And I'll throw my vote in for "The Brave and the Bold" again. I'm an avid Marvel reader. Always have been, always will be, but this DC book has got me hooked more than anything else out right now. Great stories, classic interactions and great art. Check it.

16. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Ultimate Spider-Man. I've sen alot of Bendis hate here, but the art and writing have been consistent and I will always read an issue of Ultimate before I ever touch Amazing.

17. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Hell, yes, I am! One of the best comics out there right now! Off-kilter and funny!

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Invincible is one of the better books out there, if you arent reading it, shoot yourself.

19. OmegaScourge

to go along with Fables, i suggest "Jack of Fables"

both titles are based on fairy tale characters...MR Ratings...and just awesome.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Was that from the Mighty Avengers issue? The book is supposed to be good but I can't really get into a new title now.