The Whole Plate: Transformers and Film Studies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BattleUpSaber, Apr 29, 2017.

1. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    I mean, there is a bunch of examples, that were not included in her video, from the Michael Bay movies, that go against her theory (or agenda).
    Ratchet putting his hand on Bee's shoulder at the end of DOTM. Prime, and Sentinel's relationship (even after he betrayed the Autobots, the two still cared about each other). Ironhide & Sideswipe working together. Autobots being sad about Jazz. The twins, really worrying about each other, when Devastator seemed to eat one of them, and then working together. Megatron complementing Soundwave, and Laserbeak. Prime caring about Megatron, after he was killed in TF1. There are more examples, but I'm sure you all get my point.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Some good small examples. However, this ties into another flaw with the series as a lot of these relationships are rarely visible in more than one movie because of how expendable some of the cast are. Sentinel dies after one movie, the Twins don't appear after ROTF, Soundwave dies with limited interaction with Megatron, Ironhide dies with limited interaction with Sideswipe. Optimus and Bumblebee is one of the few good relationships that is visible throughout the series. One of the benefits of having a small cast is it allows you jungle relationships between characters more easily across multiple films.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Also, what agenda? That it'd be hard to come up with a queer reading of these movies?

Why is anything to do with social sciences met with dismissal and suspicion on the Internet

4. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    That's true! Hot Rod commending Squeeks in TLK, and Cogman admitting how awesome his human master was are also some of these small examples of good relationships. Hound praising Cade and bonding with Izzy are other examples. I mean, one can point out all of the negative, or all of the positive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Because TLK is such a shining example of how to write a movie.

That was sarcasm. I ain't using blue text because that's a stupid fucking trend that doesn't even work because nobody thinks of the colorblind.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people like the 4th of July for the beer & fireworks.
    Other people like to think about what it all means.

Neither side is wrong. But each tends to think the other misses the point. A nice combo of each side is where I like to keep it. These deep dive analysis are good food for thought, but I still like to have mindless fun with these popcorn flicks too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

Purposefully breaking or twisting one of the story elements and seeing if the rest holds up is a fun thought experiment too.