The Whole Plate: Transformers and Film Studies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BattleUpSaber, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Been really loving this series and can't wait for the next episode~

I honestly stopped watching these movies after the third one and based on what I've seen I have a feeling I'd hate the new main character as much as Sam...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The Chicago Tribune did an article on Lindsay Ellis.

Video essayist Lindsay Ellis takes on Disney

It's mostly focused on her recent Saving Mr. Banks video, but her analysis on the Transformers movies is brought up. It's nice to see her getting some attention in other circles.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's really cool. Nice to see her get some recognition.

4. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

This thread was not half as horrible as I thought it would be. And I was showing ignored users.

5. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I remember when she was still on Channel Awesome, but wow did she ever outgrow them. She's one of the few Youtube reviewers who actually reviews the technical merits of films (as opposed to "I liked this / I didn't like this" or "look at this plothole").

• Like Like x 2
  6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Did she ever! Some time ago she and the Nostalgia Critic released videos about the absence of the traditional villains in recent Disney movies at coincidentally the same time. Nostalgia Critic's is so embarrassingly shallow compared to Lindsay's it's almost funny to remember that she started her career as "Nostalgia Critic but a girl".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    She's baaaaaaaaack!!!

I never did notice that barely anybody in these movies have a friendly relationship that doesn't involve insulting or killing one another.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Even though that's been a major complaint about AoE and TLK having "more" robot screen time simply to have robots who generally DON'T get along?

• Like Like x 1
  9. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically The Avengers.

10. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, of course. But I was thinking relationships between characters in general including human characters. I would think there had to be at least one relationship in the films that isn't mean-spirited, but shit, I can barely think of any. Maybe Optimus and Cade?

11. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't realize it... but it honestly is. No one in the MCU seems to like each other. The whole thing in Civil War's kinda meaningless because we're "told" it's "tearing them apart" but not shown.

Standard Marvel Craptacular Universe.

Bumblebee/Optimus

• Like Like x 1
  12. 96megatron

News Credits:
    To be honest I never really was surprised or cared when they started fighting each other in Civil War because I was like so what's new?

13. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    True. Although Optimus did leave Bumblebee to die one time, but you could explained that as Optimus not wanting to cause any more trouble with the humans.

14. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Hate to steer off topic, but man how did you miss the other Marvel movies? How are you guys THIS wrong? Where is it that they all "hate each other" and them fighting was 'expected'? They had opposing viewpoints, but it wasn't until Civil War where they DID fought against each other, but before then they got along fine. Guardians of the Galaxy was about a-holes learning to work with one another and that was great.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 96megatron

News Credits:
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    The Avengers
    Ant-Man
    Thor: Ragnorok
    They all seem to have very toxic relationships.
    "Sometimes I just want to punch you in your perfect teeth."
    After all they seem like self absorbed a**holes. The only one I can think of who's not a complete a**hole is T'challa to be honest.
    I've watched all of them thank you.

16. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Oh you mean in Avengers 2 when Hulk was brainwashed and Tony had to beat him so that he can stop rampaging? Oh how Hank put a test with a FORMER CRIMINAL to gain his trust vs. his a-hole corporate shill of a partner? Or maybe TRUSTING LOKI WITH ANYTHING is a good idea? I don't get it. At all. All have reasonable doubts in their co-operation, and all work out in the end to be better people. And yes, Loki learns when Thor sees through his tricks and gets to wrong end of his obviously devious plans.

Go back to the Transformers movies AFTER the first one and try and find ANY sort of co-operation besides Optimus Prime and Bumblebee and see who has the real toxic relationships.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    I don’t see how Ant-Man is an example. If you’re referring to the fight with Falcon, that was a one-off and they didn’t know each other. Besides, Ant-Man was intruding.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 96megatron

News Credits:
    Ant-Man and Wasp (Worst Relationship, Both arrogant)
    Wasp and her father
    Hank and everyone
    Ant-Man and his "friends" "
    "Look man I know you want to do right by your daughter since you just got out of jail, but screw that let's steal some sh*t."
    Ant-Man and his daughter(Your step dad sucks)
    Ant-Man and his ex (No boundaries seemingly set)

Thor right away choked Tony out and didn't even listen to his reasoning for creating Ultron
    Captain America right away assumes the worst in Tony
    Natasha and Banner's forced relationship
    Hawkeye not telling anyone about his family. Except Natasha So much for a team.
    I'll give Black Widow and Hawkeye a pass although one is just fanservice and wooden.
    Tony Guilt Trips Bruce Banner

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

DOTM, Ironhide tapping on Prime's cab roof and telling him to 'make something of himself' - not only is this a demonstration of Transformers recognizing emotions in each other regardless of form, but shows how cozy Ironhide and Prime are because Ironhide is telling his superior officer to make himself presentable, which isn't something done if they aren't on extremely good terms.

It's standard movie white knighting tactics to try and slander the MCU because it actually makes a cinematic universe work and usually is the measuring stick to point out every single one of the flaws in the Transformers films...rightfully so because apparently that ALSO is supposed to be a cinematic universe so Paramount can even compete against the mouse.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Sam and Bumblebee love each other! That ones built and earned.

It's just that Sam's real character flaw is that he's entitled and possessive. That one never gets dealt with because the filmmakers didn't intend it tho that's just what they think is relatable behavior. Sam acting like every time someone or something doesn't do what he wants is going to give him an anxiety attack is just plain manipulative behavior

• Like Like x 1