The Whole Plate: Transformers and Film Studies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BattleUpSaber, Apr 29, 2017.

1. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    So Chez Lindsay (Nostalgia Chick) on Youtube is going to have a multi-part video series exploring the basic tenets of film studies using the Transformers movies:

Anyone else interested in this?

• Like Like x 11
  2. zerowolf

zerowolf Well-Known Member

Definitively interested in this. Cant wait to see her analysis on Bayformers. Her Loose canon video on Starscream was also pretty good.

Also there's a video by Every Frame a Painting that does a great job in breaking down Bayham.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'll definitely be checking this out. Lindsay's awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I'm very much looking forward to this. Lindsay really knows what she's talking about, and I'm always down for more academia on Transformers.

5. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotta give this a look when I have some free time. I love that she titled it, "The Whole Plate!" One of my favorite lines in the movie. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Wow. That's actually an eye-opener :eek: 

It took 10 years for someone with the right knowledge to come and say what everyone else was so desperately trying to convey for the past 10 years. "Politique"... just one word :D 

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This was some good stuff. Looking forward to the next part.

Lindsay certainly has evolved in a good way. She has really outgrown the Channel Awful crowd.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Indeed. I'm about halfway through part two and I quite like it, and you're right, this is certainly a cut above what Channel Awesome does on average.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It's still entertaining and there are a few jibes at Bay, but it's overall very sober and academic with a decent amount of respect for Bay's craftmanship and the success he has enjoyed with these movies.

It's about the most level-headed approach you can possibly take. No rampaging "these movies are awful and anyone who still throws money at them is deplorable subhuman scum!" rants, but no detached, jaded "the movies are successful, therefore any and all whiny fanboy criticism is automatically invalid" platitudes either.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like this series would benefit more from using and breaking down specific examples. Most of the episode is spent explaining the actual theoretical concept, and then kind of blanket-applying it to Bay and his films as a whole. I liked this most recent episode about film language, but instead of just showing a compilation of random busy shots from the movies to get the point across, it would be more interesting (IMO) to take a few specific sequences from the movies to convey her points (good examples might be shots from the final battles in DOTM or AOE, for instance).

• Like Like x 2
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Holy shit, she's watched DOTM more than I have.

She makes great points, especially about framing. There's never mundane shots of the TFs to contrast the actions shots. This undoubtably contributes to the inability for general audience to attach to most of the robots besides BB or Optimus. They're never just shown, they're always framed without clear focus or in the middle of jumbled action. The audience is always focused on multiple things when the robots are around, or the cuts are so quick and scenes so short their importance is never conveyed.

This series is so brilliant. I was kinda worried she stopped.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    She's posting two installments per month, if I'm not mistaken.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    My 8 mo. old grandson has outgrown the rest of Channel Awful

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Really glad to see someone really breaking down how these films fail the technical aspects of film making, while also explaining the importance of these elements, rather than just throwing out the usual vague criticisms people throw at the films. I really don't find her that interesting, but she certainly seems to be well educated on film making.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Hmm, I remember plenty from TF1 and ROTF and I can recall the sequence of events in these movies, despite watching them a few years back, once or twice. However, I have really hard time recalling what was happening in DOTM and AOE. I now the general idea, but I can't tell any details. Everything's there, but I can't put the elements in place.

18. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    She's pretty spot on. I also got to watch her other video discussing Starscream which is also another great analysis (and like her, I agree Steve Blum's Starscream to date is the best one, imho).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

You can't be serious, you're all nodding in approval with her while ignoring the overall idea of what she said. The whole video was an insult to people's brain capacity and she doesn't even realize it. She's saying that you can't keep up your brain is incapable of taking in what's going on, that is what she is saying. So what does this say about the people who can keep up in comparison to you, does that mean the other person has a higher brain capacity than the one who couldn't keep up?

You might want to rethink your perspective, by all accounts this video should make you feel insulted not nod in approval. I'm not insulting anyone I'm just pointing out the flaws in her logic which since it's Bay bashing no one's going to do.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Huh. Have we finally achieved a sort of middle ground where people can actually criticize the films and both sides of the argument can reasonably communicate peaceful-

It's cute how you think you have any more authority on how people should think of movies than she does.

• Like Like x 1