The "What the slag should Rodimus Prime turn into?" Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Darkspeed, May 14, 2008.

1. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This may have been done already, I dunno, but I wanted to give it a shot.

Speaking for the majority, we all know G1 Rodimus Prime is a douche. He's got a whiney attitude, and it's not helped by his alt. mode... The now infamous "Space Winnebago." We've all heard the complaints/jests about this mode too.

So, the task is simple... If Rodimus Prime was to ever make a return, in any continuity from hereon, what would he turn into?

Myself, I'd like to see him as a truck, a little similar to the Energon Rodimus (Only more true to life, and non-cybertronian) - We've seen the hot rod flames pulled off on Movie Optimus, and a slightly different transformation... I reckon it'd be good.

2. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Personally I'd go for a Pro-street '50's pickup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brings out the RODimus Prime

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

...a space winnebago.:thumb 

guess I'm not part of your majority cause Rodimus doesn't seem to be douche...inexperienced and not ready for leadership definitely, but definitely not a douche and I've really never heard complaints about his alt. mode.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Eh, everyone jokes about Rodimus alt mode... but it's kind of a *wink wink nudge nudge* gesture.

Frankly, I'd like to see something very similar to Energon Rodimus as well. The design was excellent (aside from the combiner gimmick) and I wouldn't mind seeing him return as something similar either in Universe 2.0 or Animated... wouldn't an Animated Rodimus rock?!

5. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodinus may be my favorite leader of all. But if he was to get a new Alt mode I would like it to be something diffrent. Maybe a stelth bomber. Some type of military vehical.
    If I had to go with a normal vehical. Shit I guess I would keep rh OG one. I loved it

He was the choosen one.

6. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Throw my vote in on an Energon Rodimus do-over. I thought that was pulled off well, but the robot mode was killed by Energon's superlink gimic. On the subject of it working on Movie Prime, the FAB repaint actually IS in Rodimus colors (though not as much on the robot mode, sadly). A slight repaint and a head swap would make him a great Rodimus Prime, IMO.

7. Black Sideswipe

Black Sideswipe TFW2005 Supporter

Very nice. Now if only your post said "I'd go for my Pro-street '50's pickup."

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I say a hot-rodded semi truck is the way to go. If Optimus is more utilitarian, Rodimus is flashier.

Back in the G1-days, it also would have made sense to make him a long-nosed truck to contrast with Optimus' cabover design. It would have seemed like a logical evolution. A sports car with a camper on it? Not so much.

While he's getting a new Alt mode, he could also do with a new name. "Hot Rod" is a decent, if slightly silly, name. But the nonsense-construct "Rodimus" is simply ridiculous. That was really the BEST they could come up with for the new leader and would-be top-selling toy?

It was a mishandled character in many ways.

9. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

personaly i think that would make for a great kup remake.

and yeah something like energon rodimus would hit the spot.

10. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    just an example for those that don't know

11. Black Sideswipe

Black Sideswipe TFW2005 Supporter

no, i'm just saying, that'd be a sweet ride to own.

12. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I were going for realistic vehicles for Rodimus, I would make him a Hummer H3.

[​IMG]

13. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The one thing I did always like were the names... Hot Rod was fair, and Rodimus... Well, it fit in with the idea of their designation changing when they went up to Prime status.

But yeah, I'm lovin' the 50's pick up... A more modern update of it would be a perfect Rodimus, but I still stick with the long nosed truck purly cus a Prime should have the size to match the name.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

How About A Trash Can? I Like That.

15. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I say keep him as some sort of camper/Recreation Vehicle. Just because we don't have many of those and I want more of them.

As for the Rodimus being a douche.
    I think the only really douche move he made was in "Flight or Flee" when he decided to blow up Paradron instead of finding another way to get the deceptions off the planet.
    The fact that he said "Cybertron's a better place anyway—not so...perfect." in front of the planet's former inhabitants WHILE it was still exploding doesn't exactly help his cause.

16. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

How about these bad boys as a Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Energon Rodimus type of alt-mode would be the way to go, I think. Optimus Prime turned into a semi truck, so why not have his successor turn into his own type of semi truck?

18. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

This'll do nicely.

[​IMG]

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    And I think it would be better for Ironhide.

This is the best overall Rodimus toy to date, IMO, as well as the best alt-mode for the character:
    http://tfu.info/2004/Autobot/Rodimus/rodimus.htm

But it still leaves room for improvement because the upside-down grill in bot mode is a little gaudy. But a more detailed and updated Voyager or Leader class version of this would likely result in a Masterpiece (in more ways than one).

But I'd personally like to see Rodimus designed something along the lines of a cross between an updated version of the G1 Ultra Magnus toy and Armada Optimus Prime's Super Robot Mode: truck with carrier concept that combine to form a larger bot. Either that or some kind of heavy duty military transport vehicle like TFA Ultra Magnus.

I like grayman's Hummer suggestion a lot too. I believe that's what most fans wanted for an Alternators Megatron.

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing Rodimus as some sort of aerial vehicle. Some kind of futuristic jet/spaceship like a higher-tech Vector Prime. As an evolution of Hot Rod, it would only make sense for him to transform into something incredibly sleek and fast, and being freed from a dependence on roads would help in that a lot. I think that would be a perfect Alt mode for the Autobots' greatest leader.