The Warm Fuzziness of Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thelonicon, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It always feels good to do something nice for another person, but lately we've all been reading posts about the nastiness of scalping, but instead of focusing on that, inspired by what some people have said in the various threads and inspired by a small event the other day:

Why don't we all share some stories about helping out/educating other people (especially children and parents) while we are in the stores?

Just a couple of nights ago when I got off work I stopped in at my local Target and back in the Transformers section there was a grandfather looking through the assorted "Target Exclusive" scout figures. While there his wife came up to him and asked "If he found it yet." I asked him what he was looking for and he said Bumblebee.
    At that moment his wife finds one of those keychains and is like "I found it." I point out to her that what she just found was only a keychain and did not transform or anything. The man took it and started to put it back on the shelve and she's like "what are you doing that for?"
    The man responds "what would he want a keychain for? He doesn't want that." I then take the moment to explain to them the various Bumblebee toys and (using the G1 Jazz deco they had) explained to them the various transforming Bumblebee toys and what kind of packaging to expect to find him in. They thanked me mentioning that there is still some time still to find it, and I left.
    Of course it would have been great if I was actually able to get them one of the Bumblebee toys, but I was happy that my knowledge will hopefully help them in the future to find their grandson a toy that he will likely enjoy.

I know that there have also been times when I was able to help people find the exact figure that their child was looking for when they seemed to be completely clueless as to what figure they were actually looking for. (i.e. when Toys R Us had the two pack Beast Wars Megatron and Primal and on the same shelf was Cybertron Megatron).

I have also on numerous occasions pulled a figure off of a higher shelf for a kid or parent (since I'm tall enough to get down stuff on some of the high shelves at Walmart and Toys R Us.)

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I ran into a little blond kid last week when we were both looking at nearly-empty shelves. I asked him what he was looking for and he said Bumblebee too. I told him to check Kohl's cause that's where mine was, and hang in there because he's really cool and more toys were coming in a few weeks.

I wish I had more for him than a pep talk. :( 

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Sadly I dont have similar stories, just that I sold a couple of toys and help kids to find them and that time I gave away a brand new RM Victory Leo to some kid in the train. ^^

4. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

I was at a local Target on my lunch break today, and there was this cute little girl clutching the last concept BB in one hand and a 20 dollar bill in the other one. I 'helped' her to the floor and took her (read: my) toy and money to the nearest register. I'm pretty sure she learned an important lesson about not trusting strangers or something.

5. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm guessing this is a joke, since I know attacking a child in a store wouldn't go unnoticed by either the store (and its cameras) or the law, although it does remind me of a short story I wrote for a creative writing class about 4 or 5 years ago in which a crazed scalper did try to "help" both a kid and his mom to the floor for a TRU Reissue G1 Optimus Prime.

6. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Obvious Joke. It's funny if you have that sort of sense of humor.

7. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Yesterday, at TRU. I helped an elderly lady pick out a cyb. slammers for her four year old grandson instead of the Primus she was looking at!

Even I wouldn't be able to transform that thing easily.

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have many stories like that. (mainly because i'm a kid myself and they won't really trust a kid) But I did help a mom looking for a first transformer for her kid. She said that he went to a friend's house that had a few transformers and he really liked them, so I told her that mini-cons are pretty good for the price. And I also said that basics/scouts were really good (this was at the time of classics/cybertron) She ended up picking a minicon pack and either scrapmetal or armorhide I belive.

Things like this make me feel pretty good.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Warm fuzziness is when the person you love becomes a Tranformers fan as well. :D 

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I helped a young couple last year buy some TFs. They wanted to get two and I recommended an Autobot and a Decepticon so their son could have them face-off. Reminded me of when I got Powerglide and Ramjet for Christmas 1985 and told them it was a memorable Christmas for me and I still had those two.

11. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

I explained the difference between a Autobot & Decepticon to a old guy buying a toy for his grandson's birthday........he ended up buying one of each!

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I told some people Star Wars Transformers suck... Does that count?

I did see a kid grab Voyager Megs at TRU when I was there... The look on his face was priceless. Then I realized it was Voyager Megs... That made it even more priceless...

That's about it... Usually I'm alone when I go out (read: I shop while most people are at work) but there's an occasional Star Wars collector...

And then there was the family in red... A family of 5 all dressed in red shirts and khaki pants (read: They looked like Target employees... Even the one that looked 4) all buying Real Gears (All 5 of them...)... I didn't talk to them because the oldest kid had to be about 8... Didn't want to have an awkward moment...

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    When I was at K-mart a while back (when I picked up my Classics Megatron) there was a mother looking at Transformers with a friend I'm guessing. She was trying to find something for her son from the movie (only figures they had were the protoforms).

She said that she didn't want to get her son one of the bad guys but didn't know who was who, and her friend said she thought they all were bad. I briefly explained the difference between autobots and decepticons and pointed out that Starscream was bad, and that Optimus was the leader of the good guys. So she grabbed proto Prime and was off.

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've got lots of helping stories.

Most of the time, the moms looking through the toys seem to approach me thinking I look like I know what I'm doing I guess. I've had several just pop off with, "Excuse me, do you know anything about these?" I'll explain whatever needs explaining to the best of my ability without going into geek overload and send them on their way with whatever I think their kid is looking for based on their descriptions.

The best one though was some mom with a list in her hand looking at that Darth Vader voice changer helmet that was out a couple years back. She looks at her list, looks at the helmet, looks at her list, looks at the helmet, then goes, "That CAN'T be it. It just sits there?" I told her it's a helmet. That once it's out of the box it goes on your head and changes your voice and blah, blah, blah. She grabbed it and said thanks because she was convinced it was just a really cheap looking model head that just sat there.

There have been a couple of times I'll have a toy in my hand and be looking at stuff when a little kid comes up and starts looking through the pegs with me. I usually ask them what they're looking for. Sometimes I know right where one is and point it out to them. Sometimes I have the only one of what they want in my hand. OK, so it's only happened twice. Both times I just said, "Yeah, here ya go." and handed it over. I've got other chances to get them both online and in the retail stores. Kids usually get one shot every couple weeks at toys. Even had a dad say, "Thanks man. That was huge."

I'm not so old I don't remember what it's like to be that kid and MISS the toy I'm looking for. I'm much more patient now than I was then, and I'm not leaving a kid depressed if I have the chance to stop it from happening.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    There was a lady at TRU talking on the phone with (I assume her husband) on what to get their kid and she didnt know which one hed like. I explained to her that a desert attack 2 pack would be nice as it came with two figures and her kid could entertain himself better with 2 that 1. She thanked me for the advice and that was that. Also one time a while back, a kid was looking at all the Starwars figures and I told him "tell your mom to get that one becuase itll be worth alot of money"( I was pointing at the order 66 target exclusive). He grabbed it and ran to his mom!

16. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

17. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I wish I had something good to say. The Target near me has about a total of 8 TF movie products, and 7 of those are some form of head thing. Every TRU I've been to is flooded with things that shoot and Transformers that dont transform.

Since I started collecting 99.8% of my TFs came from online retailers. The others were from this board, and one from Target.

edit; Oh, I did see these old Russian ladies dressed up in hip garb asking a teenage TRU employee which TF was Bumblebee. They didnt know whether to get the POS FAB version or the Beatmix POS. I got a good chuckle out of that one. :lol 

18. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That was random. Fuzzy and all, yeah, but still...

Unfortunately, I don't have any stories of helping kids or parents out. Usually when I notice the types mentioned here (parent on phone, family looking at TFs), they're not the type needing help on finding a specific one. I came close with a mother looking for specific DBZ toys for her kid, which was weirdly timed seeing as that's when the DBZ lines were barely on shelves. I identified a couple characters as best I could (she had a page of looseleaf with scrawled names in pencil, and I'm no massive DBZ fan) but it wasn't a lot.

One time, I saw this woman on the phone, talking about what toys where there... only to hear a deep manly voice on the other end. Apparently, he was a comic book figure collector, since she was telling him about the Marvel Legends.

And then there was the time in Michigan where I helped some guy by telling him that Energon Megatron was in a different section of Wal-Mart from the other TFs. He was definitely more of the slightly unkempt collector variety (no scalper, at least), but it was something. The dude was also looking for Ruination... which had been on the shelves for weeks, and I was taking the last one. :D 

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was in a local toys r us and they got the new deluxe case in. I ended up with concept bumblebee, payload, arcee, and longarm. they had payloads on the pegs, but that was it, so I asked a guy to go check in the back for me. there was another dude there looking for tfs, so I let him have barricade, even though I wanted him. he was a collector, but I think it still counts, right?

20. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I'd avoid speaking with children about toys- parents may develop the wrong idea.

It is generally better to approach the parents directly.

I assist children by volunteering for Toys for Tots, personally.