The war is lost my ***....

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chosen40k, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Chosen40k

Chosen40k Active Member

Excellent movie.

My only gripe would be how the Cons practically got massacred. Seriously none of them put up a good fight. I felt more bad for them than those people who were cut down. Not to mention exactly TWO Autobits die, and neither of them in combat. Cons were just cannon fodder.

Anyone else feel like this?

BTW two options to not make Cons look so "weak":
    1) Add Autobot "drones". Nameless bots who get owned by Megs, Shockwave and the like, keeps it balanced.
    2) Make it like the first movie where everyone had names and fought for at least 5 minutes each. Kill them only after an epic fight. No nameless bullet magnets.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    1) Autobots aren't into mindless drones, you know, the freedom policy and all.
    2) I don't understand... You just said you wanted mindless drones...

3. Chosen40k

Chosen40k Active Member

No those are two options to not make the Decepticons into video game AI. X)

And when I said Drones I didn't mean literal mindless soldiers. Just more bots who don't really talk and just get shot. Like Arcee(s) in RotF.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Self-contradictory statement is self-contradictory.

But this all lies with the horrible lack of character for the Decepticons. I think Spoony put it best in his review, as we should be familiar and care about the characters, but we don't. They're just nameless, generic "bad guy" cannon fodder. It's very disappointing.

5. Chosen40k

Chosen40k Active Member

Dang, my bad. Should've said they were two different options.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would've been fine if they added Autotroopers or even Junkions somehow as a way to build up the Autobots' forces and provide cannon fodder to make the Decepticons look more fearsome without having to kill too many name character Autobots.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

What drones? Those fellas are called protoforms,foot soldiers!

8. Rumblebee7

Rumblebee7 Cassete Player

The only Con to score an Autobot in that movie was Barricade. I MEAN SERIOUSLY CMON , Bots play it better when their the underdog and they need Prime to lead them , but Prime was like " oh shit " and killed everyone

9. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I understand where you're coming from, OP.

The Autobots apparently lost the war - yet the 'cons seem incapable of bringing down, what, was it nine Autobots? With their whole army they managed Ironhide (who wasn't even killed by them, or in battle) and Wheeljack, because they somehow overpowered them offscreen and executed him whilst he was defensless.

How the hell did the war last more than a week?

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

End of a series is end of a series. Yes the fighting could have been played much better, but the end result would not have changed. The Autobots were also not alone as they had the Decepticon killing trained special forces with them, its not like 7 magic Autobots cut down 200 cons by themselves in the end.

11. tarZen

tarZen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm very disturbed too by how few Autobots went down, but here's another way to look at it. All the Autobots save Optimus (& the little ones) were taken captive and were going to be executed. So in theory they all would have died. If villains didn't do what villains do in movies, which is to delay killing so some miracle would happen to save the good guys.

But I very much felt they should have killed off at least half the Autobot team to give it some gravitas.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It was the Con's army vs.

1. 9 autobots, 1 of which is an army himself (Optimus), 8 of which are specially trained by NEST, and had battle experience and intelligence.

2. NEST, with, as someone said, Que's upgraded weaponry. These are soldiers that have survived 3 movies, figured out what transformers armors are weak against, and how to fight them.

3. Outside military support. Ok, the decepticons may have held down the City, but there were jets and other military forces that are bothering them near the perimeters. Not to mention those Tomahawk missiles. I DON'T understand why they didn't use the rail gun they used in ROTF to snipe.

4. Element of Surprise. This actually helps a lot. Imagine trying to kill a bunch of insects in a messy room.

13. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Cause the rail gun in ROTF relied on line of sight. The Cons made the city their fortress so it would be easy for the humans.

14. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    It's not just the finale - but pretty much every time the Autobots have faced the cons it's been utterly one sided. Occasionally to the point where I felt bad for the 'cons.

The first movie handled it the best, because of the smaller casts, I think. Although I'd still have been tempted to kill of another Autobot or two. A lot of the Autobot's advantage lies in the fact that Optimus Prime is an utterly inhuman butcher who can never be stopped, reasoned with or held back. It's why I have a soft spot for him.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what a few fans could stand to ponder is that few people would agree with this. My girlfriend was very visibly affected by the Chicago massacre scene and really wanted all the 'cons to get crushed in the following battle.

These movies are written to be crowd-pleasers. Most people get more emotional about people than, well, robot toys, so that's how it goes in the films.

Besides which, I don't think it's really as bad as all that. I do think that the balance would have swung over to a better place had they had a scene of Shockwave killing off the Wreckers, or even just a bunch of soldiers. But even so, you had Starscream blowing up the Xantium, Sentinel Prime (who basically is a Decepticon) killing a fan-favorite character and handling Optimus fairly easily, Shockwave totally humiliating Optimus with one shot, and a whole roomful of specially-armed soldiers who get owned by a protoform who's barely hurt for his trouble.

I think it's being rather uncharitable to say that the 'cons were not threatening in this movie. IMO that WAS a problem with the 2nd half of RotF, but not so much this one.

Now Megatron...I think he needed to come back a little stronger, personally. But it doesn't ruin the movie for me.

16. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is how were the Autobots losing the battle when Optimus alone killed around 10 decepticons in this movie.....

17. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

decepticons simply arent that dangerous in the movieverse.
    unless you are human, or a building then there is the possibility you may die.

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

As I said in another thread, The War pretty much destroyed the Autobot army, only the BEST OF THE BEST [and some lucky guys, I.e the Twins] survived said war, no "common-day-soldier" survived the 'Cons attacks, only the most badass, tough-as-nails, hardened soldiers [AND the lucky ones].

It's not that the 'Cons are weak, is that the Autobots are just freaking badass.

Besides, the Autobots WERE defeated on this movie [off-screen, unfortunately] and captured, if it weren't by Wheelie and Brains taking down the Mothership, all our heroes would be dead as a doorknob now.

Jazz, Jetfire, WheeljaQ, Ironhide, The Arcee Triplets and even Sentinel Prime would like to have a word with you.

19. vatarian

vatarian Snide dame

^This

20. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Sentinel Prime is not a real autobot. Jetfire killed himself. Ironhide was shot from behind. Jazz was half megatron's size. Chromia wasn't killed, and going by comics canon, she and arcee are still alive somewhere.