The Vok - a homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chopperface, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    For those of us who have seen Beast Wars, I have an observation I'm sure has probably been pointed out in the past. The Vok seem rather similar to the unseen aliens from 2001: A Space Odyssey, don't they? Split Lip, Single Elegant Machine, I look forward to your responses... (not trying to call you out, but I know you have avid BW minds like I do)

For one, they're a mostly un-seen, unknown alien species, who are highly advanced compared to man - or in this case the Maximals and Predacons. They were prepared to destroy Earth at one point with the Planet Buster. You could say that they helped promote sentience on Earth as part of their ultimate plan. They left mysterious objects around - the Standing Stones, the plant, the floating island.

The unseen aliens in 2001 are highly advanced - to the point they no longer take physical forms, but are beings of energy. In the sequel, they were prepared to destroy Earth. Their monoliths that they left around to promote sentient species led to the rise of man from apes to what we are today.

The history of the aliens in the 2001 series could also be used to fill in holes the Vok left in the show. Both the Vok and the 2001 aliens are mysterious enough as it is, and the 2001 aliens' story can fit in nicely with the Vok.

There are a few others similarities I caught watching both 2001 and its sequel as of late to the Vok, but what do you folks think? Read the Wikipedia articles on the 2001 series, in particular 2001 and 3001, and see if you can catch the similarities themselves.

Debate, discuss.

2. mirage6530

mirage6530 Well-Known Member

U have a good arguement going maybe ur rite lol

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't remember them being willing to destroy Earth in 2010 (the sequel to 2001). As I recall, everything was pointing to "something wonderful"- which was the Sol system's second sun.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There are some parallels, but I think the idea of mysterious aliens testing humanity/cybertronians ties back into an archetype that's far older than 2001: A Space Odyssey, even it's book version. I want to say some of Clarke's older work, as the ideas of human ascendance and alien observers/invigilators is a recurring theme in his work, including 2001.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I can't really comment since I've never seen 2001. :I

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Are we just talking about the movie here? Remember this was a four part series that only had two movies made. In 2061, the Monolith on Jupiter sent a message back to "the aliens" because it found humans. The message took 450 years to get there and the response took 450 years to return. The response was to destroy the humans. The events of the response and after took place in 3001.

If anything, the Vok is different where they are actively monitoring Earth at the time and could make decisions without asking for permission. The monoliths, on the other hand, are more like scouts or spies, so couldn't decide for themselves.