The vent about backroom employee scalping thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pale Horse, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Well-Known Member

We all suffered at their hands. But not for them, the online retailers may be out of a job. They get all the short packed figures before they ever have the chance of reaching the shelves, and they have some sort of invincibility to insider trading laws which, from Target to TRU, definitely cover buying toys before they ever have the chance of reaching actual shoppers...

They are the ruthless, the shameless...

The Backroom Uber Scalpers! And their close brethren, the Hoard Every Copy Scumbags.

This thread is for those who want to chime in and vent about their local BRUS. What are your experiences? How often? And, have you ever had one come out and confront you on their turf as I have?

Furthermore, have you ever discovered a way to defeat them? Ever brought one down and freed your local fan community of their wicked, selfish ways? Or, have you discovered the secret of why they and other hoarders simply must own every single copy of every rare toy in your area? When do the hoarders sleep or run out of money?

Please share with the rest of us if so.

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I predict this thread will not result in drama.

Seriously, why do people NOT understand that threads like these have never worked, do not work, and will never work?

3. Pale Horse

I apologize. I'm relatively new here, so I didn't realize such threads had caused any serious issues before. But I don't think it changes the fact that in the post Michael Bay/Bumblebee flooded world, BR dealing is making this hobby into a full time job. For those of us without access to whatever channels vendors and retailers may have to Hasbro, anyway.

4. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Recently I went to Target and requested Soundwave and Cliffjumper from the backroom. I did this for space case as well. Now the next person that tries it will find them gone. I bet they will claim scalper since the fandom blames hasbro and scalpers for almost every problem.

5. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    The problem is that this community has an extremely overblown sense of self entitlement, to the point that many people are not willing to accept not being able to find a figure without a scapegoat.

It doesn't matter if the scapegoat is innocent or at fault, the fires will rage beyond reason until the thread is closed and people get infractions.

An easy bro-tip: Don't start threads about venting, they almost always end poorly.

6. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

what's scalping?

7. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ Scalping is a word that used to mean something, but now it's merely a psychological trigger for NERD RAGE.

8. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

BLARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:mad 

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    When I worked at Crappy Tire, we pretty much had a policy of not buying things while on shift, and not holding shit for ourselves if we knew that doing so would deprive an external customer because we understood that doing so wasn't a good example of good customer service.

However at the same time, grabbing something small to buy at lunch or before/after we were working wasn't a problem once in a while, and neither was the occasional hold on something that we essentially ordered ahead of time for ourselves. Plus, if anyone wanted to buy an entire case of something, we could always speak with one of the ordering people (or do it ourselves, depending on the channels), and it wouldn't deprive customers of anything. If we followed these two simple guidelines, we were able to get what we wanted, AND still be able to sell to our external customers.

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I just asked a target employee to look in the back room today and he came out with a case of voyagers and deluxes and i now own Soundwave, Megatron, Cliffjumper, and Wheeljack

I took the only soundwave and megatron

so what? I don't got time to hunt these days, i'm busy working, I was gonna buy them anyways, might as well get them in one go and save money on gas and shipping.

i've noticed there are people getting mad at folks doing this to get the RID toys and i don't see why

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
  12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Prove it was employees or scalpers first. Not even employees, they have access to things they want first, good for them! They have to put up with whiny nerds complaining about scalpers all the time, consider it a perk. Just because someone beat you to the punch doesn't mean they were a scalper, it just means they got there first. You assume too much. Take a pill and chill for a bit. You'll get your precious toy.

13. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Wow. Holy shit.

My sarcastic prediction is kind of coming true, no nerd rage yet! Usually these threads are piled high with "OMGWTF SCALPERS SUX" posts by now.

14. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

My favorite is when someone rages about scalpers in one breath and then in the exact same post whine about the amount they "overpaid" for a fig on eBay. haha, so fucking stupid.

15. comacaz

comacaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    these threads are super pointless. As others have pointed out, there is no way to know that it's a scalper. And, better yet, what if the guy working there is a collector too? That's his way of getting his stuff. i work over at TJ Maxx and when we started getting the the RTS stuff you bet I picked up the ones I wanted. I don't see the problem in that. Store doesn't have them? Go to another one or just wait it out. This hobby is like 80% patience here, and when people don't get there stuff the day of they flip out. Chill out, it will come to you haha.

I don't even get the word scalper anymore. It's been dragged out so much it doesn't even mean the same thing.

16. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Oh, oh, I like it when people act all smug because no scalper has (been stupid enough to) come into the thread to defend himself, and then when a scalper does come in and starts talking about his side of scalping, they don't listen to a damn thing he says and flame the fuck out of him, removing any point of the scalper trying to defend himself.

17. Pale Horse

Gotcha. May I add though that in my area, we absolutely KNOW that it happens at our TRU and Target.

But still, I get ur point and no harm intended.

18. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

It's also awesome on here when members claim to have threatened physical violence to scalpers they meet at stores or want to rally a lunch mob to deal with them. hahaha, sure you did!

19. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    There needs to be a TV show about "INTERNET TOUGH GUYS."

I would watch that shit with popcorn.

20. Pale Horse

Are you serious? People wanted to launch a violent mod?

Well, I guess I see why everyone on here hates threads like this, lol...