The use of the Pillars? How would they have won the war?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MadCatTonton, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MadCatTonton

MadCatTonton MCTT The Magnificent

Optimus stated that the Ark "was carrying an Autobot technology that would have won us the war", so how would the Pillars have helped the Autobots win the war?
    And how would Sentinel have used the Pillars to win the war for the Autobots (assuming of course he did not betray the Autobots in the first place)?
    Or were the Autobots led to believe that Sentinel created the Pillars to help them win when infact he only invented them after his pact with Megatron and the plan of transporting Cybertron to Earth?
    Any theories?

2. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe Sentinel had no other intentions for the pillars than how they were used. I believe Sentinel lied to Optimus and Optimuse believed all that time that the pillars were for something else.

Optimue did say that they could be used for resource gathering and or to transport refugies but even if the Autobots used them on Cybertron to evacuate all remaining Autobots off of Cybertron, I dont see how even that would have won the Autobots the war.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Because they could have also theoretically been used to jump strike teams behind enemy fortifications or into vulnerable areas to deliver surgical strikes before jumping out again.

Or used to transport explosive devices into the hearts of enemy structures as in Beast Wars.

Or maybe they would have used them to just transport entire Decepticon bases into the centre of a star.

Or they could have allowed the Autobots to forage to other planets in search of resources to better supply their own forces, steamrolling the starving Decepticons through a superior application of resources.

Or maybe they'd have held the world ransom, threatening to tear it in half and implode it if the Decepticons didn't surrender.

It depends on how the technology actually works, but there's a lot of pretty devastating military applications for large-scale accurate teleportation like that.

4. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

It could teleport the face-takers...so they could do what they do best...

5. tonyformer

News Credits:
    True but while we fans can think of stuff like this, the obvious like this is never thought of in situations like we have in these very badly written movies lol.

6. tonyformer

News Credits:
    now that i would love to see. Optimus teleports in, "Give me your face!" and he's gone. Seconds latter, "And your face!" And he's gone. LMAO!!

7. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

Dude.

It gave them the ability to freaking TELEPORT. How would it NOT have won them the war?

8. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Because Sentinel was the only one that could opperate and or activate the pillar system and there was only one control pillar. I mean, if you build a new weapon system or in this case telepotaion system with the numerous abilities it could be used for, wouldnt you at least build it to where there was a backup funtion so someone like say Optimus could step in and use it if Sentinel happened to die on Cybertron. Or make a backup control pillar or 2 just incase the first control pillar was destroyed? With Sentinel building the pillar system to work with only 1 control pillar and to only be operated by him, it's clear that the pillars and their abilities were never meant to be used to win the war for the Autobots.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Welp, there's this...

Or, as the novel explains, it could've "won the war" through non-violence:

"If my ship had escaped, we could have shipped all Autobots to a safe haven."

Think about it. Winning a war isn't just about brute militaristic force and wiping out the opposite team. It's about eliminating the need/cause of the war. If the pillars could be used to transport their species to a more sustainable homeworld, or bring more resources to their dying planet, that could "win the war", so to speak.

But Sentinel obviously hid the true intentions of the pillars from Optimus and his troops.

If "fans" can think of this, so can audience members. As for "badly written" in this regard for this line... We, the audience, is told that the pillars could've won the war. That's all we need to know. They're a super awesome technology that is kept under lock and key. They're powerful and important. How could they have won the war? For the sake of the story, it doesn't really matter.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

But... but... what's to stop the Decepticons from chasing them down and eventually re-starting the war? Would they have been content with one world?

And are the movieverse Autobots really content to solve their problems without the use of violence?

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Agreed, there is a problem there. The whole "we'll transport us to a safe haven" doesn't really work if the Decepticons keep going from planet to planet wanting to rule the entire universe. But perhaps The Autobots/Sentinel (in his master plan) thought they would.

As for the Autobots... well... :lol  Maybe they are? ;) 

12. MadCatTonton

MadCatTonton MCTT The Magnificent

Fair enough but I got the impression that the Pillars had to be set on the side where you wanted to transport to. To transport Cybertron from point A to B they they placed the Pillars at point B (point B being just outside Earth's atmosphere), so saying "used to jump strike teams behind enemy fortifications or into vulnerable areas to deliver surgical strikes before jumping out again" would not work as there would need to be Pillars set behind enemy lines.

Also like tonyformer said, Sentinel was the only one to control them, why only him? If it was built to win the war for the Autobots then why not let Optimus have the power too, why only risk having one control pillar? I think they were made after his pact with Megs. He lied to Optimus.

But who would know for sure the Decepticons would not continue to hunt down the Autobots? Just because they retreated/escaped the War it doesn't mean the War is over, at least for the Decepticons. If I were a Decepticon I would want to know where they went, hunt them down, for all I know they could be gathering forces, buying time making plans for strike of somesort. What I'm saying is I don't think the Decepticons would let them get away like that, dunno.