The upside to Mech Tech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Triponthisman, May 15, 2011.

1. Triponthisman

Triponthisman Active Member

This weekend, I was able to buy four the new DOTM figures: Ratchet, Bumblebee, Crankcase, and Starscream. After messing with them for a bit, I realized something; Mech Tech is a good thing for us collectors.

Now before you burn me at the stake, let me explain. One of the things I feel that should be paramount when designing a transformer, is that the gimmick should not detract from the toy. While the Mech Tech Guns are huge and often do not fit the figure at all in alt mode, they are also removable. Most of the ports on the figures I have so far either hide away, or blend right in. The figures themselves are nicely detailed, amazingly articulated, and have fun transformations. In other words, exactly what most of us collectors look for. To be honest, I would have bought these guys without the Mech Tech guns, so to me they are an added bonus. Lastly if the spring action really annoys you, just remove the springs (though be careful. Crankcase's spring was a piece of cake to remove. Bumblebee's a PAIN)

If you hate the Bayformers, so far what I have seen from this line is not going to do much for you. On the other hand, if you actually like them, or like me love good transformer, no matter the line, check them out. I am willing to bet you will be pleasantly surprised. After all soon they are going to be all we are going to get for at least till this time next year.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I love Bayformers, but the key here is that the gimmick DOES detract from the toy. Sure, it's removeable, but you're left with a tiny figure for the class size and in some cases virtually zero paint apps.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Mech Tech weapons are fun to mess about and they make a neat gimmick in and of itself, but you cannot dent the dongrading in all other aspects of the DotM line. Is anyone going to argue that this is not due to the inclusion of the Mech Tech weapons?

3. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

To a certain extent I would argue that. The size issue could be from the mech tech but the paint app issue I doubt. They still should have enough money for each figure to be painted decently especially sine most of the mech tech doesn't even use paint apps. It's not like the weapons should take away from the size of the figure, that's like saying older tf toys that came with weapons close to or bigger then mech tech should have been smaller. I think them scaling down the tfs was just because of scale issues possibly.

4. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You still have the mounting points on the vehicles which in some cases, look really bad.

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    The two biggest reasons I am against MechTech are 1) "BIG" weapons, 2) they take away plastic that could've gone directly to the character's figure.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To me, there is no "downside" to the Mechtech gimmick. Sure, the figures are a tad smaller, but it's not like you're getting less for your money. Also, the only figure in this line to actually suffer from lack of paint apps, is Sideswipe. All the others have plenty of paint apps. Though there are some, like Voyager Sentinel Prime and Deluxe Roadbuster, who's alt-modes take-up a lot of their paint budget.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Haven't the figures been 'shrinking' over the years anyway? I mean, RotF Starscream is, like, half the plastic of the 1st movie toy.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    To which I reply 1) since when is this a problem? Besides most are really cool and on large figures a must, and 2) yet it doesn't seem to have impacted the figure negatively at all.

9. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'm still not entirely sold on MechTech, but I will say that it's not nearly as bad so far as I thought it would be. Of the toys that I currently own, Crankcase is the only figure that has the ports that detract from the overall look of the toy. Ratchet's saw is awesome, but the rest of the deluxes that I own could be without their weapons and it wouldn't bother me...

10. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Figure size is debatable, considering Deluxes are retailing for less than RotF's did, etc. But when was the last time Hasbro's movie figures were noted for their great paint apps?

11. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Mechtech weapons = requisite weaponry for Lsotw diorama.

12. Triponthisman

Took the words out of my mouth! From the ones I have gotten so far, the paint apps are at least up to the level of Classics/Universe/Generations. Yes most of them are smaller, but really not that much. In fact Megatron is just as tall as his ROTF counterpart. Plus the molds themselves so far are amazing. Easily my favorite movie Megatron and Ratchet, and by far my favorate Starscream outside the leader class. Crankcase looks like what the Predators must have nightmares about. Hasbro has even made me do something I swore I would never do again; buy another Bumblebee. To be honest, I only bought him for parts to improve my Battleblades Bumblebee. However, I like the guy so much, the opposite is happening, and parts of an extra BB Bumblebee are now being used on DOTM Bumblebee. The only one that I have been kinda Meh about (that I personally own) is Voyager Prime.

Something to keep in mind is that we, as collectors are not the main target for these things. This is also the third movie, and most of the models the toys are representing have not changed much at all (except for poor Megs. He gets killed, rebuilt, and is now missing part of his face.) HasTak needed something to convince kids to ask their parents to buy these toys for them. Gimmick wise, Mech Tech provides that. While I would much rather something that fit in with the figure better, at least it does not cripple the figure. The ports blend in, or hide away better then minicon ports or cyber key slots and some of the weapons are just fun to mess with.

Guess all I am asking is, try them out before you write off Mech Tech. May I suggest you start with either Crankcase, or Megatron. Both figures are rather unique and just look bad ass.

13. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

The only downside of the DOTM line are the higher prices, but those can't be attributed to MechTech. It's just the economy (and apparantly there are people crazy enough to buy those things at a higher price, like me for instance).

MechTech is just awesome. I do play with those weapons.

14. Triponthisman

Oh and speaking of prices, My praise is hinging on one assumption, that you are getting these guys at retail. While the prices have come down, they are still a bit overpriced on line. My advise, is wait till they are at retail. The nice thing (or bad thing, depending on your taste), is that almost any store that carries toys will have tons of these things by the summer. It's not like Generations, where Finding them will be a pain.

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly the good thing is that I'm not buying older characters over again. I feel I got the better versions from ROTF and then new stuff is fun and much better for kids, but not my thing. Some of the new guys are great though and I will be attempting to pick them up.

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Here's my rational: Your going to debate the realism of the weaponry wielded by giant alien robots. Sure on the Gijoe Rise of cobra launchers I can understand the community outrage. But here These robots are strong enough to carry the launchers and plausibly have the Atomic Juice generated to run them. Sure the human alliance scouts have clip system machine guns and proportionate weaponry. But that comes from working with humans and earth tech. That's their deal.

Mechtech is a fun and fuctional play style, I'm pleased how different many of the weapons are, and that none of them are spring loaded missile launchers. instead its particle wave blasters, and Energon Swords for the fight.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I agree with you. I'm also no fan of Bayformers and I don't think Mechtech is a bad idea.

I'm still going to burn you at the stake though. :wink: 

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Its great because no more junk gimmick within the actual bots. You can easily replace the mechtech weapons if you don't like it. I will gladly take it off your hands at the right price.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And after seeing what now passes as a "Voyager" Optimus, I have to disagree.

20. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Pretty much I agree with this sentiment. Mechtech isn't detracting. I do like that they didn't go the Armada route and give us holes galore on the figures, but really, the whole point of the weapons is to be tossed into a drawer, and then replaced by the Human Alliance figures in weapon modes.