The unusual, unnecessary long long drought

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    It's allowed me to save a big chunk of money, as well as spending what would be TF money on other things (ie: concert tickets and the Bruticus add on preorders).

Although I would like Generations to hit stores...soon.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I filled in my animated Decepticon ranks a bit.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Pity the U.K.
    But at least we can expect something inside the next month due to Argos.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Likewise, I've been buying all kinds of 3.75" toys Like Marvel and DC Crisis.
    But even the Iron Man's dried up.. so i'm hardly buying anything now.

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I've been in epic waiting for stuff to buy mode for 8 or 9 months since we got our first glimpse of Leader Starscream. There's been tons of other cool stuff, both at retail and otherwise, that I've bought, but it's all secondary.

And yes, this dry spell has lasted longer than I anticipated, but I'm used to it. It's the typical pattern for Hasbro in general, which has owned my wallet for many years.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More money to go to Beast Wars, other older Japanese stuff and the random (semi-) recent release that I've changed my mind on, so I don't mind.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The drought was great for me because I started to save money for Botcon....

Then my tailgate was stolen off my truck...

Then my dog had to have surgery...

Wait, I still have to pay the bills...

Shit! Now I have no money for Botcon...

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I remember back in the day when Transmetals 2 came out during BW. In December of that year the first wave came out. The second wave showed up in July of the following year.

All thanks to The Phantom Menace...........

Meanwhile, droughts are good to save money and/or to collect those figures you have been missing from previous lines. Gives a nice workaround, if used wisely

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I've been scaling back big time, so the drought is probably good for me... The only things on my desk that wasn't here when the drought started are MP Grimlock, Aveo Swerve, Alternity Skywarp, and WFC Prime...

I did relocate some of the funds into a DROID Incredible... Totally worthwhile.

But yeah, considering I'm scaling back, all it's doing is keeping me away from the one or two things I know I'm gonna buy. I'm still too cheap to play catch-up to any decent extent, and I'm still too cheap to engage in any early release buying...

Now that I bought HA Mudflap online (For $43 shipped.. we'll see what I get), they're gonna be out en masse. Trust me.

10. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

well it has given me time to get into G1 toys so thats been fun but I cant wait for the new stuff.It will be over soon guys. lol

11. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a 'drought' topic pops up like...every year? :p 

The reason there is a drought is because instead of releasing figures every month, as intended, stores immediately put out their bought waves all at once.

Heck, when we Europeans were still waiting for ROTF wave 1 to hit, Americans were already up to voy. Mixmaster and Megatron..within a week of release!!

Either try not to buy everything at once - although that's very hard, I know! :lol ...or use the drought time to catch up with some things you've missed..or you could save a dime or two!

12. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To those that say the drought is over and you are getting soon to be released toys, where do you live. Ordering figures online doesn't count to ending a drought. I am talking more about retail items hitting shelves in stores or online ordering for the same price as store purchases, thus being retail...not early release figures.

As far as schedules go, feb to June is never dead. Summer blockbusters see to that. Toys hit shelves prior to big movies being released. When new toy lines hit other lines have their new stuff released relatively soon after as they k ow that moms and kids will be shopping then.

So may and June is a big release time for items. But then nothing usually till late august. Summer hardly gets new releases as kids are outside playing and parents aren't big on getting inside playing figures during summer.

So this drought is especially bad as there really haven't been any new main line transformer releases all year. The scheduled release of some new figures are for august, whether they hit shelves early or not has yet to be seen so the drought goes on.

I too buy third party figures and as I have become more selective ion my collecting have decided that this drought isn't bad for me. But now it's getting a bit long. Even I am getting antsy which leads to lame choices of buying other things.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^My "drought" ended with my purchase of animated Blackout last Sunday! :D 
    Next on my list is some vintage Japanese G1! :ev:  :ev:  :p 

14. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I think the drought entirely has to do with hasbro trying to sync their new product lines with the HUB launch. So fresh figures will still be coming in October.

Eh. We will get things eventually. I'm buying weird toys on the junkion exchange:

Ice Armor He-Man, G2 Afterburner, G1 Countdown, and Henkei Ramjet, etc.

15. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Catching up on my Alts from years ago, selling stuff to bbts to have money for Generations, and other new stuff.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I guess if you hunt them yes, there is a drought. I've bought a few new items here and through online retail.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The drought has been really long for me because I don't collect movie related toys.

I think part of the blame though has to go toward movie lines. Retailers love to over stock movie related toys like mad in the off chance that maybe the movie will be a toy selling machine like Star Wars. A few times it works, but most of the time retailers are stuck with shelves full of toys that aren't going to move.

Lately Hasbro has had a rash of movie related toys since between Transformers, GI Joe, and Marvel there has been some sort of movie line taking up the deliveries. So instead of being able to release something new Hasbro has to give a big break between movie and new on the off chance someone might break down and buy the figures no one else seems to want.

Throw in that it's normally a slow season and it's just not a good period for new releases.

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

There's nothing at my store except goddamn Tuner Mudflaps. They'll clear them out to put out the new stuff on the shelves. They did it with Universe.

19. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Shoot, we just had one LAST WEEK!

Again, comparatively, Transformers fans have been IMMENSELY SPOILED through the last 4 years or so. Since January, there have been over TWO DOZEN Transformers core line releases. And since Cybertron, the brand has seen a fairly aggressive push for new product, which is unusual for just about any toy brand.

And as said, Energon was saw a HUGE drought from February to August of 2004 because of product overstock. But I still remember the days when Transformers fans were lucky to get two dozen new toys A YEAR.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I'm kinda thankful for the drought. Happened around here when Iron Man 2 came out. So, it gave me time to save $$$ and buy all the stuff I need from that line. Still need Mark I, IV, VI.

And Black Widow.

So, I guess people are saying the drought is gonna end soon, to that I say dammit.

I am getting really tired of Tuner Mudflap. I should buy the fucker so they can restock and then return it. They have 1. Know how long it's been there? Only God knows at this point.