The unusual, unnecessary long long drought

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So we are going on five months and probably for another two until we get some new figures. This seems very unusual. I would think that Hasbro would want to spread out the new releases.

I understand the superstore issues of stocking new items before old stock is moved, however, release dates bring in sales of items the both new and old items and the major stores recognize this fact.

We did have that quick and short lived release of the mind wipe wave, though mind wipe was here and gone before you could finish blinking. Which is strange in itself. There will be more stocking the shelves but to release a figure and then not restock or resend more for seven months is a bit of a stretch.

We haven't seen a drought like this in a long time. There are stretches in the summer until august but that is usually after some new releases in april and may.

With power core combiners, new nest waves, leader class figures, and the new generations line, figures from wfc, and the new cartoon which most certainly will produce a whole new line further still, you'd think hasbro would release some in the Spring...instead...nothing.

What are your thoughts on the drought, reasons for it, what are you doing to fill the void?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm, uh, buying new toys. Animated Blackout, Deathcobra, PCC Bumblebee and Prime, to name a few.

And the TRNS-Valkyrie and Medic later this month.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The drought's going to be over real soon.....just wait another week or so and the summer hunting season will begin.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    This is nothing when compared to waiting for any Energon toys after wave one.

Nothing.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Generations and 2010 figures are starting to trickle into retail: the drought is just about to end.

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'm looking at Iron Man 2, and Hasbro's wanting to focus on that line as the culprit behind the fairly slim offerings for domestic Transformers.

I really hope it comes to an end soon, though. I feel like I've waited for Leader Starscream for long enough.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    vintage motu... vintage SW..

always something new to buy

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    last week I got WFC Prime and Bumblebee, and Animated Blackout.

drought's over for me. and Hunt for the Decepticons is starting to hit.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've been stocking up on Beast Wars figures. I know there is a drought in the shops, but that proves beneficial when you just need a breather to pursue other figures which you missed previously and are no longer available at retail.
    In fact, I do most of my TF shopping online, so the store drought is not that big of a deal.

10. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Personally I don't mind droughts that much.

It saves me money to buy other cool stuff online. :D  Fan products, vintage toys, and painting customs fill my hunger enough.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, the drought has been ongoing since the start of ROTF/end of animated. It seems like forever since i've walked into a Target and said "HELL YEAH, ITS ______".

The Drought has been good for me at least. i've collected tons of Beast Wars, Henkei and MP figures. The good news is I don't feel like i'm missing anything but the bad news is the hunt is pretty much over for me.

Once I finally buy Victory Drillhorn, i'm done with the old stuff.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This is how the business goes. There's always a bit of a lull after New Years through to Summer. Summer is the main school holidays, so it makes good sense to have new product on shelves there, and then you're in the runup to the holiday season.

As far as the target demographic goes, second half of the year is where the real action is. Feb-June is probably the quietest point on the retail calendar.

And I agree, this is nothing compared to Energon. In Energon you were lucky to find anything that wasn't Ironhide or Scorponok in the larger sizes.

13. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

The thing that kills me about this drought it that even though the same figures have been sitting on the shelves for months most stores seem intent on holding on to their dozens of DX Mudflaps and Voyager Ratchets by refusing to discount anything (thus getting rid of space they might have had to create a restock incintive >_>).

On a technical note I'm not really sure it's fair to say that third party, and foreign market only figures really allevieate the "drought" status of general retail Transformers since many people don't have easy access to them.

Still, it will all be worth the wait once the big drop happens. We have PCC (all new figures), Generations (mostly new or previously unreleased figures) and HftD (many good looking repaints and great new figures).

For the first time in ever so long it won't be 360 degrees of Bumblebee in the Transformers section. ^_^

14. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Damn whippersnappers don't know how good they've got it!

But seriously. Energon Hot Shot and Energon Energon Hot Shot are burned into my retinas, and seeing Scorponok for so long must have ruined Dark Scorponok for me, as I always wanted but never got the latter. Ironhide was pure, head-exposed evil.

I've seen Target and Walmart having sales over the past month. They gain nothing by holding on to shelfwarmers, and they, in some corporate if not individual manager sense, know that there's new TF lines coming this year, not to mention what other movie toylines they could be carrying. No, they're not putting stuff like Mudflap on clearance, but they're doing what they can, and at least selling out of everybody else.

Two weeks ago, I was at Target and they had virtually every ROTF price point on sale. Deluxes were $8.xx and what was left? Three Mudflaps and/or Tuner Mudflaps and nobody else.

15. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Whn a drought happens I ususally concentrate in finishing my G1 Collection, all I need is 4more pretenders then I can aim at the micromaster playsets and actionmasters.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Neo. 'nough said.

17. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I've been catching up on Beast Machines and Star Trek TNG figures. I did purchase some of the PCC figures through the Junkion as well.

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Drought's killing me. I've been buying DC Universe figures. Money could have been better spent on TF.

19. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll reiterate that this feels like nothing compared to summer 2004. It honestly wouldn't be so bad if hasbro would put the last wave of ROTF into actual distribution. I was lucky to find Evac once, and I bought him then. I wonder how many HA Mudflaps have actually made it to stores. But the new stuff should show up soon.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I've bought during this drought is several KO figures, Animated Blackout, ROTF Mindwipe and Devastator from EBay.

But I have been checking Walmart, TRU and Target for the new figures and still see the same old stuff. They still have plenty of ROTF TF released last year.