The *Unofficial* Future Thread! (EXTREME SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Lucario Prime, May 23, 2009.

1. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

^ Did you email Hasbro like I told you to?

2. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    Lets all Start our own animation studio, named TFWindustries and make our own eps, toys, and merchandise!

3. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

I can't find the answer to these questions, but I think they weigh on any future plans for Animated, real or delusional: How much ownership does CN have over the designs and concepts? What rights do they retain?

Hasbro is the license holder, but co-developed the show with CN. Based on the CN logo on the packaging, I'd guess CN gets a cut of each figure sale, much like Dreamworks does with the movie toys. Since Animated was not as successful as projected, I'm guessing CN and Hasbro regret this latest partnership. The decision to buy-in to Discovery Kids which directly competes with Cartoon Network has probably left some bad feelings on either side.

If Hasbro doesn't own all the rights, and has to pay CN for any use of Animated designs or concepts after the conclusion of the contract, then Hasbro will not sanction an Animated continuation in any format, media or toy.

At some point, Hasbro will regain the complete intellectual rights to Animated because they are the license holders. The time frame could be...anything. If CN has part-ownership, and won't relinquish the rights or sell them at a fair and reasonable price (which seems likely), then Hasbro will just wait. And if Botcon has to pay a license fee on top of their normal expenses, then they won't make exclusives, either.

Look, I want it to come back. I really do. I wrote my praise-worthy letter to Hasbro and CN, thanking them for the show. I got up every Saturday morning to watch S3, and bought thirty figures in the span of ninety days. But if there is any legal entanglement over ownership, and neither side is willing to negotiate, then nothing else matters. Hasbro can and will wait it out.

My only suggestion for anyone going to Botcon is, once they've announced the official cancellation, to ask the reps if Hasbro has all the rights to Animated. If they answer with anything but doublespeak, ask them the length on the statute of limitations.

If they answer with a 'yes, we have full control' then, eventually, we might expect some of the canceled figures to filter out, and maybe an IDW one shot. Maybe a limited edition series. Maybe. If they answer with a 'no comment' or a 'we've been informed not to discuss the legal blah blah blah', then they don't have full control, and that's all the information anybody needs.

4. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, absolutely no one has mentioned how we never see Lugnut again after he was kicked out of Omega Supreme...

jD001

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    We do, Jane. He was there right at the end in shackles with Megatron and Shockwave.

6. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My NDA with Hasbro ended in January of 2009 thankyouverymuch.

7. vslayerntx

vslayerntx Well-Known Member

in the last scene where was arcee....you dont see her with all the other autobots....

for the future....
    predacons?
    more constructicons....devastator?
    unicron?

i was disappointed that sentinel prime didnt die in some tragic accident like omega supreme accidently stepping on him and everyone cheering after he says "my bad"

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you're saying there's a chance?!?
    [​IMG]

9. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i love you

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I look forward to Dora The Transformer, and Go Bulkhead Go!

11. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

Best post that I have ever read on how buisness deals like this work. Simple and to the point.

I look at this as a similar situation to their recent re-aquisition of the rights to the original G1 (and GI Joe) cartoons from Sunbow. It really is a waiting game on Hasbro's part.. and that's only if they are still interested in producing media involving the Animated property (and that's a big if).

Ultimately the character names and core concepts that make Transformers what they are belongs to Hasbro, but I imagine that they will re-invent the wheel like they always do and start from scratch with a new show at some point as opposed to running the risk of ending up in court with Cartoon Network if there is still some form of obligation between the two parties.

I've seen some discussion as to weather or not we could potentially see the Animated characters show up in a future Botcon set. I'm pretty sure that FunPub's agreement with Hasbro only gives them access to certain molds (Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Classics, Universe). The one's from the Movie are pretty much off limits due to Hasbro's agreements with Paramount and DreamWorks.. I can only assume that Hasbro has similar agreements with Cartoon Network regarding the Animated molds sence it's a joint venture.

I don't see Hasbro sharing a piece of pie with CN... not when they can have the whole pie for themselves.

12. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Kickback, this IS the Animated discussion board. o_O 

But I don't want you to get worked up, so if you want to, you can close this. =\