The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

My first indie purchase on the switch was Iconoclasts. Only bought yesterday though so not had time to play yet!

Thank you... :) 

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    SPACESHIIIIIIIP!!!

I had the standard LEGO from as long back as I can remember but, yeah, Space Lego coming out was a big thing for me too. I loved those grey moon crater baseplates

• Like Like x 5
  3. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    @doucoo - not yet but that'll hopefully be coming in the not too distant future.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Ooohhhh pm incoming.

• Like Like x 1
  5. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Lost my job yesterday so a few robots up for sale if anyone's interested:

• Studio Series Megatron, no box but instructions - £25 posted
    • POTP Beachcomber: £8 posted
    • TLK Reveal The Shield Optimus Prime (the DOTM voyager repaint with snazzy sword and shield) - £10 posted
    • TLK Sqweeks deluxe - £5 posted
    • Combiner Wars Shockwave - £7 posted
    • Transformers Masterpiece Prowl - £35 posted, comes with Amazon exclusive missile launchers (no box or instructions IIRC)
    • RTS Jazz, complete but no box or instructions - £15 posted
    Deals on multiple purchases within reason

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    I feel like I may be in a similar boat - I don’t think I’ll ever get to complete the cast I want, and with the update in style and articulation, I’ve started selling a few bits off as well, and considering having a more limited display with big characters (Prime megs Magnus etc) versus their counterpart, and perhaps adding the G1 alt mode in there.

In fact, does anyone know what the going rate is for MP11 these days? Looking to shift mine but with the amount of KO’s out there, I’m unsure how to price it.

That’s shit news Joe - all the best and I hope you bounce back quickly sir.

• Like Like x 8
  7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Nice, not a bad price at all for him.

Jetbolt you saucy bastard, you are only making the waiting harder! :O

Happy new year dude! Enjoy the switch!

Sorry to hear you lost your job man. Hope you find something new and better soon.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  9. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Slightly belated Happy New Year all. Just got back from Scotland last night. Met the girlfriend's folks. Pitlochry sure is pretty.
    Don't go back to work until Monday and I've exhausted all the festive viewing. Watched Bandersnatch (shite), Luther (shite), Dr Who (Shite) and The Bros Documentary (THE FINEST BIT OF TV I HAVE EVER SEEN)

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you find something else decent very soon.

Ramble for the day...
    Sideswipe. Great. Sideswipe. Got lot's of interesting things to say about Sideswipe.

HE NEVER DID ANYTHING. HE JUST STOOD AROUND!!!

I remember seeing that first reveal of this Sideswipe and, figuratively speaking, rubbing my hands otgether in anticipation. "Great" I thought "that'll make for a juicy write up". Then I did the suual mental exercise of running through all my childhood recollections of him.

Two.

There were exactly two. He leant Prime his rocketpack in 'Arrival from Cybertron' and he appeared on a screen towards the end of 'Dinobot Hunt' to say "Hi Optimus. Got smashed up by Grimlock and Sludge. Lol. Who knew? K, bye!". And that is amazing, because in my mind's eye he's always been one of those incredibly iconic, original, Transformers. Like one of the guys that'd appear on all the adverts because he was EVERYTHING THAT TRANSFORMERS WERE MEANT TO BE!!!

And you hold the toy and it soon becomes incredibly obvious why. Sideswipe is as classic and perfect example of your old school Diaclone Transformer as you're going to find. He has a wow factor that makes him a perfect ambassador for the toyline.

He's not perfect, of course. some of the toy machanics are quite exposed between his head and chest, his shoulders are thin little spindles, his arms are beyond dainty, and his feet look like massive overhanging toes.

But who gives a flying fuck, becuase what this toy gets right it really gets right, and that eclipses any minor quibbles. That big hood chest makes him seem so dynamic and heroic, and that facesculpt just floors me. I truly love those Diaclone era facesculpts. To someone who was used to seeing Star Wars and Masters of the Universe figures, these Transformers facesculpts were so wonderfully mysterious. A quick shout out to the guy's shoulder cannon too. Seems like a trivial point, but the shoudler weapons were another thing that set the '84/'85 cars apart from everything thatc ame after them, and SDideswipe's is the coolest, in my own wee opinion.

But man! That lambourghini. That magnificent, sex red, lambourghini. Perhaps more than any other of the '84/'85 crew, Sideswipe reminds me that with Diaclone the vehicle modes came first. It's such an immaculate rendering that you could almost just keep it as model car. Sometiems I'm amazed that something of such high quality was around in the 'primative' early '80's.

When I first glimpsed Siege Sideswipe, while furtively looking at the news page on TFW2005, I thought I was looking at MP Sideswipe for all of half a second. It is so hard to let the ghost of MP 'swipe haunt this review, so I'll try and get it out the way quick. That toy was one of thE things that got me back into collecting. It looked perfect. In hand it could quite often frustrate, and there were little things (the leg transformation) that could have been better, but it really did the job of creating the platonic ideal of the how the toy and the annimation model might come together. So perhaps, once you've nailed something conceptually, it's inevitable you'll return those soloutions.

Sideswipe is a short deluxe, just coming over First Aid's shoulder, but man...he is articulated! Even just looking at his arm in isolation it's remarkable how superior the engineering on all the joints is to the things that came in the Prime Wars stuff. Not only does it move so much more precisely, but it feels like it can hold a much greater weight.

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself in lookign at the detail. Sideswipe, as you might have inferred from everything I was saying about his MP, just looks right. That big broad chest, the stocky yet oddly agile limbs, and the surly expression all help ake him look the jock arsehole he's often been portrayed as. And it's wonderful! But perfect? Probably not, there's some back kibble you can see from the front and his shoulder cannon suffers some compromise. But these are trivial complaints. Sideswipe is excellent, and another clear win for Siege.

And how about that Cybertronian car? While it's not going to have the stunnign wow factor of the lambo, it's still an exceptionally fine, sleek looking vehicle. Through some quirk of fate they've managed to make something that look's like Automan' s car. Oddly inevitable, all things considered.

It's a bold statement, but if some 3P unit can give us a better shoulder cannon then I don't imagine myself needing to 'upgrade' this Sideswipe anytime soon. like I say, another clear win for Siege.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 7
  11. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Ok @Seeaich , if you can now start modding yourself a Scorponok, I think many of us would appreciate it ;) 

Any of you fine folks planning on making an application for moderator? More than a few of you would would meet the fair and level headed requirement.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

Elita 1nfinite was better name, I guess the last fembot is confirmed. Just hope its not gonna be in some silly expensive boxset

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    How did that go? I'm guessing you weren't quietly done away with and buried in the back yard at the very least!

That is my one quibble too. its a shame we can't just 'swipe' one of the third party cannons made for CHUG swipe for this guy. The one that came with the FP G3 trailer was always quite lovely.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Christ that would be a kick in the plums, releasing the 4th limb, but only as part of a boxset containing four other figures folks will probably already have bought.

• Like Like x 3
  15. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They're great. Her Mum's a great laugh and her Dad liked talking all 70's rock bands ("you know the Sensational Alex Harvey band?"). I was more anxious about introducing her to my old man. Mercifully he was pretty well behaved. At least while she was there.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh my days...

pixlr_20190103113219498.jpg

..I am beaming here.

• Like Like x 16
  17. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

Kill Yourself

I'm not as bothered by the ninja turtle shell on his back, that I have seen a few complaints of. For me, my biggest worry is the feet. I'm worried I've hyped him up too much and when I get him I'll have to force myself to love him. I absolutely loved the Iron Factory mold, especially the feet; they look great but also have amazing posability and balance @Napalm you have both right? how do they compare?

Great write up @barry spot on as usual

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Thats good! Always a pain in the hole introducing partners to the folks.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find something better soon, :) .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

BW Hasbro Ultra Megatron WAC5 1300.jpg BW Hasbro Ultra Tripredacus WAC5 1300.jpg
    Unused MIB

• Like Like x 4