The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh hello...

2. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    So to follow up from my post the other day I am selling my MP-1L Last Shot Optimus Prime for 150GBP shipped to the UK.

It's in mint condition, boxed and most of the accessories are still taped to the box. Comes with the awesome cardboard trolley which I haven't touched. It's pretty much me except for the fact that I opened it for photos.

If you are interested then let me know... Otherwise it'll be on eBay by the weekend.

IMG_20180103_144926-01.jpeg IMG_20180103_145108-01.jpeg IMG_20180103_145142-01.jpeg

Also the TRU Japan limited Jeffrey Prime... Brand new. 20GBP shipped to UK. SOLD
    IMG_20180103_151335-01.jpeg

And some Japanese pvc figures, 7.50GBP shipped to UK.
    IMG_20180103_152253-01.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Just the silver chrome. They do coloured paint pens which are also amazing but they arent chrome.

I imagine you could do a clear coloured coat over the top but havent tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Huzzah! We have status change, The Bee is in the Mail! Now if my other gear would just gear up!
    At this pace I'll have the Lego bits before the guns I need 'em for!

• Like Like x 3
  5. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I know. I'm dead excited for this pair. Wave 2 is going to be all about these lads, Submarauder, and Rippersnapper!

Allow me to spam you. You can find this ramble in 18 other threads and I've also been going round Leeds flyposting. Rotten weather for it.

Grimlock, for me, is one of the most iconic Transformers ever. When I really think hard about what I consider the iconic Transformers to be it's usually the guys on these adverts below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazz, Datsuns, Seekers, plus Optimus and Soundwave, and of course the Dinobots. I used to pour over these adverts when they were on the back of kids magazines. Hazy as my memory is I think they might be my first exposure to Transformers. Sure there were so many important Transformers that came after this but they didn't have that sort of distant, near mythical status as these.

I remember Grimlock as having amazing articulation, great proportions and a head that wasn't actually behind his shoulders. Yet even with more critical, adult guys, I still think he's incredible in robot mode. He's got some of the best accessories as well. I love his gun and sword. His T-Rex mode is perfection. It's the details. The little gold toes. The silver arms that actually turn. His chompy jaw and teeth. I consider it to be one of the most elegant G1 transformations from mode to mode, even though it's got a T-Rex head hanging off his back. The legs to tail and arms to legs are inspired and so well executed. I love this so much that there's a little voice in the back of my head just telling me that I'm utterly incapable of being objective. But this is one of the toys that really does take me back to being seven years old. I just want to clutch it to my chest like a linus blanket.

And of course he was the best thing about that early, pre Target:2006 era of TF:UK. I remember being so excited when 'In the National Interest' showed up in the 'next issue' box. All the best stories had the Dinobots, Decepticon Dam Basters, Wrath of Grimlock, Icarus Theory, Dinobot Hunt, the aforementioned 'In the National Interest'. They were the toughest, angriest, funniest, most sarcastic and tightly knit group of Autobots, and Grimlock was the most Dinobot of all the Dinobots. I miss the days when his T-Rex mode was drawn closer to the toy. There's something about that face.

Power of the Primes Grimlock is...difficult. Diffuclt and disappointing. I wanted to totally love this guy, I turned a blind eye to all the obvious problems that I saw in the convention photos. He'd win me over with his surly charm when I got him in hand right? I mean, it's frigging Grimlock!

Often when reviewing a toy I wind up having two typical areas of complaint, one more defensible than the other; it doesn;t look just like the character I loved as a kid/it's an objective mess. PotP manages to tick both these boxes. In both modes his proportions are all over the place. In bot mode the head, arms, chest, and legs all appear to belong to different sized bots. It's almost like he's wandered into a fairground and found himself in front of a warped mirror. Ok, he's a bruiser, maybe having oversized arms is in keeping? My eyes say no. He looks wonky. No matter how I try I can't get into him in bot mode.

I know everyone says kibble is sin and whenever I say that a figure looks wrong because it's missing some bit of kibble I get laughed out the proverbial room for being off my head and impossible to please (Hi TR Kup). The thing is that there's certain kibble that really helps define a character's silhoutte. Case in point, Grimlock's 'wings' are too small on his back. Sludge, Slag, and Grimlock all had some variation on those 'wings' and it helped make them look like a team. Maybe if his arms and chest weren't so massive?

The dino mode also looks like two different sized toys fused together. The top half, I must admit, is really good. The head sculpt is straight from the 80's character model and looks mean and surly, and crucially you can open and close his chompy jaw. A Grimlock without a snapping jaw option is a pure fail. a real nil points. The wee T-Rex arms are pleasntly articulated. And then you get down to the waist and it all just bloats up and looks so weird and ugly! I'm not even sure how much of this you can blame on the combiner gimmick (which I've completly ignored).

What's really striking about having yer G1 and PotP Grimlock's in hand is how much more...elegant the G1 toy is. From the transformation to the proportions to the dino mode. It all just looks better. Sure it lacks the articulation, but I think that's it? MP Grimlock was one of the only MP toys I've kept since deciding to sell my MP collection, and I think a big part of that was that seems to acknowledge all the things the original got right. I guess you can't beat a classic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Hmmm, didn't realise Molotow do more than the chrome. Looks like it could be the New Year to try some New Pens!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. barry

News Credits:
    Popped into work to pick up my post. Turns out I've bought a stupid amount of crap recently, but only one TF?
    I say one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  8. legham

legham Well-Known Member

Argh, everytime I see pics of Liokaiser I'm tempted to buy it! Those colours... *drool*

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Would those be "shiny" like chrome or not really?

10. Destronus

Destronus Ay up

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lovely little shot this, as well as the other extras you posted on the MP thread.
    Might go for this, my search for some Action Man guns at my local used action figure shop was unsuccessful and my model shop had a sparse collection. It does fit the badass appeal I've been going for, thanks.

Finished applying the last paint touch's and hand swapping on the big guy to call the cosmetic detail done. Just some more guns maybe some scrap oversize feralcon limbs and a few flame props and I can call it a day but for the first time since May, this is my first toy in ages and it felt amazing just sitting down and having a good old play and posing session .I've only gone got another figure due to a bit more extra money from work and Christmas. :lol 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheers dude, appreciated! My wife thought I was being a right nerd taking over the dining room last night with the light-tent, lights, camera on the tripod and Photoshop fired up as I carried a whole load of TFs downstairs. She wasn't wrong either! :-D

Is that the new Wei Jang MPP-10? Looks lovely. I have the original version and I've held off buying this one as it would only make me want a whole collection of oversized and realistically battle-damaged TFs and I don't have room for that!

• Like Like x 3
  12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

The HT minigun was the first thing that came to mind as I only got mine recently so if that's what you go for I'll be intrested to see how it works with your Prime.

Nice work on the eyes too!

• Like Like x 2
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loving these G1 trips down memory lane (as I meant to say when you covered G1 Optimus and Rodimus Prime). Those adverts are pure nostalgic joy!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Aw. Yis. Thank you showzstore for these lil' KO ratbags. Not bad for £23 shipped for the pair! Quality is great (though I don't own a legit one to compare them), and the DiaNOT (heh...) pilots even have the tiny magnets in the feet.

Also, they scale pretty well with legends scale stuff.

More please!

Ratbags.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. barry

News Credits:
    I know, right? I get sucked straight back in when I start looking at them again. The ad's aren't as good after '85.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Not used 'em but if they don't say chrome, I wouldn't expect it, more likely a buff gunmetal-ish metallic, I'm thinking the gold might be handy for TOTP Grimmy's chest.
    I think, as already suggested, for blue chrome it's gonna be the more effort intensive chrome with the pen then layer a clear acrylic over it for colour. I'd nab the pen and some Mr. Hobby Clear blue (my acrylic of choice and water based so hopefully less chance of a reaction of some kind with the chrome ink), then do a patch test on a junker/cheap KO scapegoat.

I noticed some different metallic paints last time I was in the model shop that were the same manufacturer but a different line with very chrome looking lids but I don't recollect exactly which colour options were available and I can't find them on the Mr. Hobby site (they have quite distinctive paint tester pot shaped lids, which none of the metal options on the site I can find have), I'm going to be swinging by shortly for some bronze and clear orange for Screamer's cockpits (both faux & actual) so I can have a proper nosey at 'em in case there is a blue option before you take the layering plunge?

Moving FoC Sounders and G1-colours FoC Grimlock to the selling box this evening gave way to some TF Feng Shui, plus Sounders, AM-17 Swerve & Universe Heavy Load back in their boxes for stowage, ending up with a much more efficient Jenga stack of boxes.
    And, boy do I have some sales photos to take!
    Anybody fancy a complete set of (mainline, not transparent box set) Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Terrorcons/Abominus for £25 posted to cut down on the required photography? Anyone? Bueller?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Destronus

Destronus Ay up

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes it is, very nice in hand and still amazing QC than the original.
    I too wonder if he would be able to hold it properly with the posable hands, will just have to see if it all works out. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think that Dinobot ad was on the back of the first Complete Works (the one with the first four US issues). I certainly remember poring over it for hours. I loved the Dinobots!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Welp, I was foolish enough to read up on TFs Vs. Visionaries and, urgh, I'm starting to hope the rumours of a line-wide reboot Post-Unicron is true because once again Transformers are getting thrown under the bus buuuuut it's going to be the same editorial team who are signing off on these increasingly desperate and wrong-headed attempts to jumpstart an IP Universe without laying the proper groundwork for the Non-Transformers franchises by propping them up with your one sure-fire, established IP!
    Seriously, IDW guys, your most successful horse has it's origins in what could have been a neat flash-in-the-pan gimmick toy given unique characterisation that engaged massively with the potential audience. Build and develop your other IPs up in their own right BEFORE you smoosh 'em together in a shabby game of franchise Jenga. Establish their characters and make them appealing BEFORE you even thing about crossing over! It is no longer the 90s, "SHOCK DEATH!" no longer shocks, Gah!
    The one lesson they all seem to miss when trying to copy Marvel: sell the characters, you dummies!

*Whew*

Okay, I think I got that off my chest. Are the Dinobot Pre-orders up yet? Seems the toys are my refuge from the fiction!
    Now, hang on...maybe that means they are working to promote toy sales!?! You canny wee buggers!

• Like Like x 5
  20. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else had a DHL delivery from Kapow stuck in the “We've received your order details, and we're expecting your parcel shortly” status for the past week? I received a tracking number from them on the morning of the 28th and it’s been stuck like that ever since. I assume they printed off the label but went off for New Year before handing it to DHL; weird it still hasn’t gone out though (although I guess they have a backlog to get through).