The Ubiquity of Jazz' Grappling Hook?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    For those who have been following the interviews and articles on the latest developments on Fall of Cybertron, you may know that each character has one "special ability." In particular, Jazz was given a grappling hook that I'd imagine functions similar to the hookshot in 3D Zelda games.

But my post is not about FoC so much as it is about a comment by Matt Tieger in a recent interview:
    [​IMG]
    I know Jazz had the grappling hook in the pilot episodes of the Sunbow cartoon, but does that really qualify it to be one of his defining abilities/accessories? Ironhide used his flame-retardant spray on a number of occasions, but I feel like Jazz' one time use of the grappling hook-- in a pilot with abilities that were subsequently dropped (like flying Autobots)-- does not make it uniquely his.

What do you all think? Was Matt Tieger just talking out his ass to legitimize their decision to give him that in-game ability or is this really something that is part of Jazz' character? If nothing else his statement about Jazz having it in every continuity is patently false.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Optimus Prime only used his axe in the pilot and that has become an iconic aspect of the character ever since.

I feel like it doesn't matter if Jazz only used his grappling hook once: he's used it before and thus and can be considered a part of his abilities.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yes.

4. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    Fair point, though I feel that the Energon weapons were a little bit less mundane than a simple grappling hook used as a plot/scene device.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

In the G1 cartoon, Optimus only used his Energon Axe ONE time, in the final part of the three-part pilot IIRC. Ever since then, almost every G1-styled Optimus has at one point or another used an Energon axe of sorts. In DOTM, it's even the weapon Optimus uses to finally kill Megatron the second time.

While I agree that saying something like Jazz always has a grappling hook in every incarnation is complete crap (Animated Jazz automatically voids that statement, because he had nunchucks), the fact they're bringing back another weapon from the original series for a character like Jazz is pretty cool.

Plus, you need to look at what they choose to include from a gameplay aspect. Having a character who in previous cannons could use a zipline? Nice. Having the grumpy old guy turn his arm into a fire extinquisher? What would you do with that? Put out the innumerable fires breaking out all over the place?

EDIT: Dang, ECR ninja'd me while my crappy College internet was laggy!

6. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Ubiquity is a moving target based on ones perspective, so for Matt to say that this is a 'classic' item for Jazz, perhaps he means that it's classic 'TO HIM' and his interpretation of Jazz. Moreover, and in support of Matt's comment, the grappler is a pretty unique feature and if Jazz were to be given any special ability (beyond his now dated yet still fun flip out speakers- which I'm glad they didn't go with instead), then the grappling hook works fine in that regard.