The Twins I wanted to see...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Instead of launching into my review/analysis of ROTF, I'll just focus on one of the things that bothered me most: Skids and Mudflap.

They were ultimately useless and were really poorly conceived.

But there was already one of a set of original G1 twins in the film...Sideswipe.

So why not have Sideswipe, whose design was awesome and who was a complete badass in the film, paired with his brother Sunstreaker?

These two could have had a brotherly rivalry thing going on instead of two dopey "ethnic" caricatures.

Anyone else think this would have been an improvement? Sunstreaker could have been a different color to differentiate him from Ratchet and Bublebee, maybe red.

Prime

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Because we don't even know if Sunstreaker exists in this continuity.

Also possibly for the reason that the Corvette concept may never get made, thus other characters were prioritised over it for marketing reasons (which goes more to explaining Sideswipes lack of screen time)

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    This isn't G1.

4. JB1323

JB1323 Member

The twins weren't as annoying as I was scared they would be. They weren't perfect, but they did provide some comic relief. I would have preferred to see some more Sideswipe, but never was a fan of Sunstreaker in G1 for some reason, so it's good that they brought something new to the continuity and didn't rehash G1 again, even though lots of us do love G1.

5. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Oh god, you did it now... The "this ain't G1" police will be in this thread any minute now to bash you and call for a lock! I'm sure there's gonnabe some beating a dead horse smileys or two as well(which is kind of an oxymoron if you think about it, because it's used so often)

For the record though, I agree. I think 2 badass twins would be better than 2 dumbass twins anyday(and twice on sunday)

6. the (H)i(GH)con

See... I told you

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

This is so true. It seems a lot of people want a G1-esque movieverse. Franchises need to change, especially ones that are about robots that turn into other things!

8. MisterE

MisterE What?

I actually agree with this, considering how dissapointed I was with how little attention such an awesome design like Sideswipe got. I'm pretty sure Skids and Mudflap could've been sacrificed without losing much, considering Wheelie was comic relief as well, and the fact that the Twins almost had no plot relevance.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Somehow I expected this to be a Megan Fox Thread :wink: 

10. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

I actually liked the twins. They made me laugh and were quirky, and just fit the general mood of Transformers to me. I recall Rumble in G1 being a "street punk" and he sorta acted kinda like the twins to me. I really think some fans get bent outta shape over some of the most trivial things in a movie. It seems to me that some fans only want the entire movie to be filled with nothing but "bad@$$" Wolverine/ John Wayne types that spit one liners all day.

Real life is filled with all sorts of different personalities and I enjoy it when movies reflect this. Every charactaer doesn't have to be made in the same mold.

To each his own I guess, The twins rocked IMHO.

11. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I don't think there was a need for that character wise though - one of the reasons I felt Sideswipe wasn't developed more in the movie is that his character is essentially badass brawler - but the Autobots (especially Bee and Optimus) really seemed to have this covered, renderring Sideswipe cool but overall moot in that he didn't bring anything new to the table.

Don't get me wrong, there were other archetypal pairings that I would have preferred (Coward/Maniac a la Dinobot and Rattrap would have been nice), but the Twins as they are served more purpose than a Sideswipe/Sunstreaker pairing would have (although in fairness that would have brought some kick ass toys to the table being as how Sideswipe is my fave ROTF toy)

12. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I really wanted to see more of Sideswipe, in addition to wanting to see Sunstreaker. They would have been BAD. ASS. And replace Skids and Mudflap. I did like them in the movie even though they were totally useless, but I think that the Lambo Twins would have been cooler.

13. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

First of all, the Twins were offensive. There was a group of African American moviegoers behind me. They didn't laugh once when the Twins were on. I felt uncomfortable for them.

Second of all, to say that we "don't know if Sunstreaker exists in this movieverse" or whatever is sheer stupidity. NONE of these characters exist until they're put on screen. A horrid and mindless argument against my idea.

Thirdly, ALL OF THE AUTOBOTS IN THESE FILMS ARE G1 CHARACTERS, EXCEPT FOR MUDFLAP. So I suppose Bay and Orci/Kurtzman are "obsessed" with G1?

Get your heads out of your asses and use some REAL arguments.

I'm sick and tired of seeing this kind of response here. I had valid reasons based in characterization and existing lore for my idea, so kindly don't call me a rabid G1 fan.

Just look at Animated. Mostly G1 characters reimagined, with a few new characters. I guess those guys were obsessed as well.

What bullshit.

Prime

14. MisterE

MisterE What?

See, whilst I'd like badass characters, I'd like for them to have personalities too. Y'know, have them do battle and do cool things, but make them bicker or have conflicting personalities or something like that. Just make them have a little scene where they do something that's crucial to the story, like saving Sam and Mikaela.

15. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

yes. >d

16. the (H)i(GH)con

I see where your coming from in that aspect. I just didn't like the twins all that much in the movie. Although, they weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, they actually made me laugh a couple times with their interaction with each other. Besides that though, I really didn't see a purpose for them being there. And their faces are really bad looking(and I mean bad in a bad way) In the interest of being fair though, Sunstreaker probably wouldn't have contributed much to the story either, just another Autobot that could have taken the day off like most of 'em. I just would have rather seen 2 badass ninja-like bots rolling and flipping all over the place. The 2 of 'em coulda cut Sideways up tic tac toe style instead of just longways down the middle. Then again, I think they over did it with look-a-like bots in general, so if they woulda left out herp, derp, and 2 of the bike bots, that woulda been just fine with me too

17. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Except the ones that do exist that weren't onscreen. Like Prowl, Ramjet, Thundercracker, Dreadwing, Payload, Landmine, Incinerator, Stratosphere.

Yes, I remember G1 Jolt quite clearly. Honest. What you mean to say, but couldn't get the words past your low set neck, are that some of the autobots use G1 names. They aren't G1 characters. That's akin to saying every person called Mike is one and the same.

This gives your argument much credence. Please continue.

You mean, you have valid reason based on Generation 1 characterisation as to why your idea should apply in the movie continuity.

18. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, coming from the African American POV, my girlfriend and I found the twins to be hilarious. I didn't find them offensive at all because I mean i know people who actually say things like that.

They're just robots acting like people anyway, they pick up they're language and behavior from us, so why can't they mimick humans?

Like someone said before I just think the "bad@$$" character is well covered and everyone seems to cringe when characters aren't snarling and smoking cigars.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, how about instead of two 'bad-ass twins' for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, you use a different dynamic. Like a narsacistic psychopath gladiator and a mechanical incarnation of a trickster god who bounce off each other in some bizzare way. I suggest this because from what I've gathered, thats a reasonable summary of their comic personas.

20. vanylapep

vanylapep Well-Known Member

G1 or not, WhyTF do we have transformers with golden teeth speaking black grammar? Since when Transformers are soo lame? Reminds me of:

[​IMG]