The Twins-Critics Remarks

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SamWitwickyGirl, Nov 28, 2011.

1. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    Lately, I've been seeing people comment on other websites about how "The twins are racist" and critics also claim that "the twins are racist!" However, they are incorrect, unless the people claiming they are racist are racist themselves.
    Here's why: They made the assumption that they are imitating a certain race of people. Where did they get that assumption? Did the movie clearly state it? NO! they are automatically thinking, "Ohh a certain group of people talk that way so it must be racist!" And who put that thought into their heads? No one other than themselves...

So, I just wanted to make a point at all of the incorrect criticism that people have to come up with just to degrade a movie that they simply dislike.
    Kind of nitpicky if you ask me.

(Dont get me wrong, i did in fact, DISLIKE the twins. I thought they were too cartoony to portray real autobots. Like Optimus Prime, and Bumblebee are more real, and portray cybertronian robots more realistically. They're not "Cartoony" and theyre not for comedic relief. They're more believeable . However, the twins are NOT racist and the critics need to make sure they have enough common sense to back up their say) =D

2. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Welcome to 2009.

3. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    thank you very much ;)  It is a movie discussion thread isnt it? I can discuss whatever transformers movie that i want to. TF1, TF2, or TF3. so thank you.

4. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    Ugh...so many things to say about that.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There are many threads about the Twins already where this has been discussed to destruction. There's really nothing new to be said from either side of the argument. Search out those other threads for your answers.

6. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    well than say it :D 

7. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    It was mainly a rant involving what CC and Gingerchris have already said.

8. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

This topic has pretty much been done to death

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    The twins aren't racist. They're negative racial stereotypes. You shouldn't have to be a racist to see that.

-Wannabe "gangsta" attitudes
    -Big-ears
    -Bug-eyes
    -Gold teeth
    -"Readin' ain't their thing"

I grew up with racist parents. They made it clear that's what they thought of when they saw a black teenage boy.

10. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They're just one more stereotype in a directors filmography that is bursting at the seams with them.

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yep.

12. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I know the guy who played Epps said he didn't like the twins, that he thought they were racist, but the fact is, thats how hollywood does view and portray alot of african americans.

Also, if they didn't act that way, they wouldn't have to be concerned with being made fun of, would they?

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

Saying "well YOURE the REAL racists" when someone gets offended by characterizations which rely heavily on highly negative stereotypical appearances and behavior is the race-relations equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?!".

I know you're probably not a racist person, and I doubt the writers responsible are either. I'm almost certain that the twins are just the result of lazy writing, of substituting stereotypes for characterization (as we've seen for so many characters in the Bayverse), but the sad thing is, the stereotype chosen for them was a very, very ugly one, especially in American film/stage/television. A lot of the little details that make up the Twins, which may be innocuous on their own, combine into a pastiche with some almost-tragic roots in popular culture, and some really negative connotations. The Twins got a moment or two to shine in their fight with Devastator, but throughout most of the film they were more evocative of a trope deemed too offensive to many and abandoned decades ago.

Just because a movie doesn't come out and say "They are black robots, look at them caper", it doesn't make it okay, and just because not everyone sees them as an extremely distasteful stereotype, it doesn't take away the right of those who do to get offended. And I think there's enough meat on people's claims, and enough people making those claims, to give them credence.

It's also possible that while you may not have noticed the stereotypical aspects of the Twins and recognized their offensive past, that people who have had the same stereotypes levelled against them in their own lives may be a bit more sensitive to it. I could go into detail if you'd like, but I'd really rather not clutter up the boards discussing a very dark time in American media, and one that will inevitably move towards politics.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  14. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    You do know thats nearly every white teenaged boy right? They were pandering to the low IQ'd teenagers aka wiggers.

15. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    I've noticed that in most of your posts you aren't a fan of cartoons.

Also you do realise that there is no correct way to portray Cybertronians, They are fictional for a start.

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Thread won, if for nothing else than use of the word wiggers.

Seriously tho, I wasn't offended and I'm black (yes that's me in the avatar). Skids and Mudflap were... overdone, but the only thing leading to all that flak was the way they spoke. Big ears, ONE gold tooth and illiteracy are not major black stereotypes... but the way they talk made other things standout. If you gave them scottish accents, could they be viewed a black stereotypes?

Seriously, I think the most racist thing (tho funny) in Transformers history is that in g1, Cosmos (the alien spaceship or UFO) was given a latino sounding voice.Not to mention, Dragonball Z has never gotten this much flak for their blatently offensive depiction of black people.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I always figured they were modeled on the so-called "gangsta" stereotype or character archetype. I didn't automatically infer a "color" from them so racism never occured to me, but judging from their portrayal - I found them buffoonish and stupid, and their screen time could have gone to other Autobots.

I was relieved when Mudflap got sucked up into Devastator's maw, then disappointed when he fought his way out.

18. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Except no one wants to hear what you have to say. Perhaps if it were 2009 this would be interesting, but it's not.

19. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    I have to disagree with you. The twins were not meant to be black or white (wiggers or otherwise) In fact, lol they were green and orange and anyone of any race or color can be gangster street talking humans or bots lol

Just before DOTM was released at theaters I had a long conversation with Mark Ryan about this very thing and this is the last portion of our conversation.

Hey Mark... I think its stupid that so many people had a problem with the Twins. I liked them and they were fun characters. Just because they were portrayed as the somewhat ghetto gangster bots does not in any way mean it was a raciest thing. Jazz was a hip hop talking African American talking bot and no one had a problem with him.

Hey!

I didn't see the problem myself and neither did the voice actors who played them. They were supposed to have learned the language from modern cultural media style, but there you go!

Looking forward to July 1st!

Take it easy,

Mark

20. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    easy she is new relax