The truth

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFfanmaiku, Dec 17, 2011.

1. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

When it comes to Tranformers, I'm very picky about the toys that come out. I understand there no such thing as perfect but some figures have major flaws in the design. However I find even with those flaws I still like some figures even though for some odd reason if another figure had the same flaw I would hate it. Some key exsamples are ROTF Brawn with all the alt-mode kibble hanging off his shoulders and back. DOTM Skids, Mudflap, and RTS Mindset having scout class size robot modes.
    Are there any figures that you have in mind for this dissusion?

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    In before 'all the movie toys that Michael Bay designed by himself, one aftternoon'.

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

DOTM Twins are easy to forgive as their so much better than the ROTF versions.

4. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forgive & forget,that is the only way to get through as time goes by

5. Kamex

Kamex Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the figure's other redeeming qualities.

Micron legend shockwave irks me for not having knee joints, but his list of gimmicks is pretty long and more than makes up for that flaw.

A number of tank-formers don't roll too well, but figures like animated shockwave, rotf bludgeon and gen warpath are still totally awesome figures, whereas universe galvatron...

6. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I absolutely love Cybertron Scattorshot. I love his alternate mode, I love his Cyber Key gimmick, and I love his color scheme and robot mode sculpt. And yet the toy has a critical flaw in a modern toy of having absolutely no useful knee articulation whatsoever. And yet? I'm perfectly fine with the toy, even to the point of trying to army build him. And I don't know what it is about him that makes me enjoy it so much.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to a lot of TF toys. I can find flaws with every one that I own, but usually the good outweighs the bad for me.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Hailstomr/Mindset makes up for his size by being wide and solid. He's neat.

Ditto on Brawn too, he's one of my favorite deluxes and he manages to pull off the gigantic kibble well, so I don't care about it.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I guess the thing that can be a flaw that i can overlook or have it ruin a toys is a gimmick that takes up to much of the toy much like we here TJ go on about in plastic addict. The best example when it ruined a toy beyond saving for me is the movie 1 Swindle. I had the Camshaft deco. The toy is ruined in every way by the gimmick robot mode and vehicle mode sucked and the transformation was bad. The biggest sin of this toy is the gimmick that ruins the rest of the toy SUCKS. A stupid phallic cannon. Yay.

Thats the bad but now for the good. I think Battle Ops Bee. This figure looks amazing in car mode i mean absolutley stunning. The robot mode is quite screen accurate and the toy is a true pleasure to transform. Now the articulation suffers for the gimmick arm and he is top heavy from all of the electronics but this is a case in which i can overlook it because the gimmicks work. First in car mode the lights and sounds are fun but the fact that he plays the g1 theme song is just awesome. I mean just awesome. The attack mode with the cannons is neat and fun. In bot mode he has tons of sounds and they change based on so many factors. The gimmick arm may not have any poseability beyond the actual gimmick but its a fun gimmick and works amazingly well. This is a great example that has a figure being hampered in ways due to the gimmicks but the gimmicks are fun. There is such a variety in the sound effects and most importantly they work extremely well as they are intended to. I can respect those that do not care for this toy because it is about the gimmicks but i think that the flaws it has are worth the gimmicks. I am gonna go my battle ops bee out after i am done eating.

Ok thats long so before the tl;dr starts gonna summarize. Battle ops bee has limitations due to his gimmicks but i still think its a great toy because the gimmicks are done well. For those that do read it all thanks :D 

10. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Same here.

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm sorry but... what? While the DOTM versions of the Twins are enjoyable toys... better than their ROTF toys? Ummm... I question your standard of a good toy.

Point one: DOTM Skids. His legs.
    Point two: DOTM Mudflap. His chest.
    Point three: You want screen accuracy? OK, let's ignore that these two weren't even in DOTM. We'll pretend they were in the background with sleek black paintjobs, and Mudflap scanned the same vehicle Skids did so they have the same alt mode. These toys share their on-screen characters' heads, general colorscheme, and oversized arms. You can make a point about the front of the car being their chest if you want... but consider how many other transformers also use that. Mudflap has some door wings... but they don't hang where they should to be "screen-accurate." Did I mention his his chest? Yeah, it also makes it look like he has a gut to go with it.. Skids isn't too bad from the waist up... but go below that? You're looking at a brick - unless you mistransform him. Now, I personally think it looks stupid, but if it works for you and you like it, I'm totally cool with that. But the articulation is backwards.

My points center on the proportions of the characters. Between large limbs (not counting their arms, as each are supposed to have one XL sized) and other body parts, neither DOTM toy has much to go one for accuracy. Both toys are pretty silly looking.

You know what? I'm cool with that. I like em both. They're kinda fun to play with. But they sure as shit aren't better than their ROTF versions. The ROTF ones have...
    -More interesting (OK, sometimes frustrating - point there) transformations
    -More screen-accurate
    -Better articulation
    -Different alt modes (do you really think Skids would let his twin live it down if Mudflap copied his alt mode? I can hear the brawl now!)

I don't think DOTM Skids and Mudflap are bad toys. They're flawed, and I wouldn't go so far as to say they're GOOD... but seriously... you think they're better than their ROTF toys? I want some of what you're smoking.

Also, you want to use "they're" instead of "their."

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Exactly. There's not a single TF that is perfect.

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I would question yours.

Counterpoint 1: ROTF Skids legs that wouldn't hold him up.

Counterpoint two: ROTF Mudflap's chest that blocked his arm movement.

Counterpoint three: The CG models exist for the DOTM form of the twins, which seems preliminary at best. And they are accurate to that.

You can't really argue accuracy. As we've not seen a working CG model.

-More interesting or just needlessly complex, the latter I think
    -Not totally applicable as they weren't shown in Robot mode on screen, but the alt modes are accurate
    -Relative, Skids may loose some movement in the knees but he can stand un-aided. And Mudflap doesn't have bits blocking his arms. So really the articulation is better.

And their alt modes are outside the movies logic. The concept car Mudflap had didn't win the poll, and Skids won. So they were both made the Spark.

Yes better. The flaws that the ROTF twins had are not present in the DOTM versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011