Customs: The truth about paints!!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jun 7, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let us start of with a little test. You know your car outside, go apply a substantial amount of pressure with a fork on any painted surface. What happens? The paint will scratch off.

That is it folks. No matter how good we prep, clean, sand, cast a spell, whatever, PAINT CAN SRATCH OFF!!!!

That being said, please do not attempt to scratch your car.

But for real. It kind of bugs me that some people think that paint changes the molecular structure of the plastic. And they present it to potential clients that way. I have seen way to many times and have way to many people asking protective coating and scratches. There is only so much that can be done.

So that being said. If you do your own custom, understand it can scratch, and if you do and for a client, be honest with them.

Just my little rant.

Paint scratches

2. red4

red4 Banned

I wasn't jumping to this kind of conclusion at all. I know paint isn't indestructible. I just want something of the quality used on Hasbro's toys - or very similar.

3. encline

News Credits:
    Bro, I wasn't talking about you. Not at all. I was referring to eBay auctions that give the wrong impressions about paint.

Most of it is in the prep for sure. But a nice quality paint is always good.

Some to try
    Model Masters
    Testors
    Fusion(wal-mart spray cans)
    Tamiya
    I even love to use automotive paint (I am a car/bike painter)

So just play around and find what you like!!! Just make sure your surface is clean and ready for paint. Then let it cure!!!

4. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Totally agree.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Of course paint scratches. everyone should know that. however, some are formulated for plastic, some aren't. Fusion says in big letters right on the front of the can "FOR PLASTIC" and above that "Bonds to Plastic!"

MANY customs aren't prepped, primed or clear coated. We know that too. when someone is about to dive into spending some $ on a custom, it's important to explain all this when doing an auction, especially when those steps were taken. I heard stories (or seen) paint literrally peel or flake right off the figure.

Where did someone say in an auction that their paint won't scratch?

Prep work MUST be done, it will make the difference, and there are several tutorials here that help get you through the most important step in a custom.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  6. encline

News Credits:
    THIS IS NOT A STAB AT ANYONE ON HERE!!!! I have just seen some auctions misrepresenting there products.

I just had to get this out.

7. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

So, what you're saying is...it's somebody on here?

:D  :D 

J/K

8. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. If people think hasbros paint doesnt flake or chip off heres why: They hardly ever use any paint and everything is molded in the color they want to use!
    Obviously some paints are stronger than others, different brands and different types of paint will obviously give different results but NO PAINT known to man is chip "proof" and will scratch, flake or chip off if it isnt treated correctly or it wasnt applied right in the first place.