the true nature of exclusivity...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, there's been mention that all spark powers Crosshairs seems to be a close match to botcon 05 fallback. now, in this instance i personally dont see the similarities as that much of a big deal. i think they both look different enough. especially since crosshairs seems to have a completely inverted color scheme compared to fallback

Crosshairs vehicle mode

Crosshairs robot mode

now, according to the botcon 05 set, fallback is outback

i personally feel that fallback is a FAR superior homage to outback, but if people are really seeing these two as being that close to each other, then what is hasbro gonna do with other upcoming toys? when the botcon 07 set was made, hasbro had assumed classics would be a small line, not the superhuge fan success that it was, so they gave the go ahead to FP to make them exclusive. somewhere, there is paperwork stating exactly what that means, but do we have any confirmation? and with classics 2.0 on the way, whats to stop hasbro from releasing the starscream mold in blue as thundercracker? is there a certain time limit that hasbro cannot release him, or is it a never released dead? or is it that hasbro can release him, but then have to deal with a lawsuit from FP?

i'm also wondering about new molds. botcon 05 ironhide is a pretty sweet looking ironhide, but can they make a new ironhide from a different/new mold? is it mold specific? or character specific? i asked pete@botcon about this on the club boards, but have still not received an answer. so what does everyone think?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    linky no worky :D 

and i still think takara's gonna do the other seekers. might be a bit different color wise, but it'll still be them

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Didn't one of the Target exclusive E Arcee-based scouts use the Botcon mold rather than the Arcee mold? That would be another question to add to the list.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I suspect we'll never get specifics on the FP/Hasbro relationship--imagine that's a proprietary or contractual issue.

Far as Fallback/Crosshairs...I see a similarity, but not enough of one to get agitated about.

5. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

There was a difference in molds from Energon Arcee to Botcon Arcee?

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    One (all?) of the times the Arcee mold was used as a Botcon exclusive it was given a different head.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i didnt even realize the botcon version had been remolded....i believe they have stated that the botcon remolded parts are supposedly from molds that break when finished, so its improbable that they are the same...but i dont have them, so i cant be certain.

8. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

E arcee
    Uni arcee
    arcee paradron type
    botcon flamewar
    movie blue arcee
    movie elita one
    have the E head

botcon Chromia
    botcon flareup
    have the botcon head

how many strong arm repaints are there?
    E Strongarm
    E Strong Arm
    Uni Strongarm
    botcon fallback
    movie Strongarm
    movie Crosshairs
    none were remolded, right?

9. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Two of The Botcon versions of the Arcee mold, Chromia and Flareup, have a different head. Flamewar has the retail one. None of the retail figures have the head used for Chromia and Flareup

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strongarm is a suck ass toy to begin with. I couldn't care what colour he is, I would never buy him again.

As long as a figure is changed enough to not be the exact same, so one can tell them apart, there is nothing stopping them. If they gave the Towline mold a G1 accurate Ironhide head and painted him red, there is no reason why they could not release him, because it would be different then the Botcon one. Sure people would be pissed, but I can guarantee not pissed enough to boycott the figure. The original still has it's exclusitivity, which is what many (not all) people who buy these figures are looking for. I never bought the Botcon classics figures because I could not care less about exclusitivity, and was not going to pay $300 for $80 worth of toys, 2 of which I did not want. Hasbro is good with exclusives though and really respect the fans enough to not piss them off by mass releasing a similar toy.

11. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

just a personal note, i pick up any bot i find at thrift stores, garage sales, and durring spring clean up, and can say from experience that this mold is the most dejected, i have 5 of him, and only bought 1 straight out

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    how would that be different? thats what the botcon toy is...

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wouldn't mind seeing Japan release them, but I don't think they will. I don't see why they wouldn't try releasing seekers with new paint jobs and perhaps even different names. They could be obvious enough to be our 3 missing seekers but different enough not step on BotCon's toes. Who knows....doesn't matter much anymore, I'm halfway through making my own seekers and I want to move on to Classics 2.0 and get Sunstreaker & Sideswipe! I just hope Classics 2.0 lives up to the original line!

14. Lumpy

News Credits:
    see, the japanese thing has me worried too...if anyone stateside can order them, they wont be more then 30 each...unless they are some sort of exclusive in japan as well....but even then, it seems a little unfair...even if the color schemes are different...

15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I SOOOO don't get this notion of "fair" in toy collecting.

Hasbro, Tomy/Takara, and FunPub are all business in the business of making money.

Fans complained that the BotCon seekers were "unfair" because everyone wanted one, and they were expensive. Well the sad truth is that because FP makes smaller runs than Hasbro, they needed to charge more for their figures, and they also desired to make a profit.

Now fans are complaining that Taraka/Tomy might make a similar set, and they think that may be "unfair" to those that bought the BotCon set. Frankly the only thing "exclusive" about the Botcon set, is that Hasbro never planned on making these characters, and FP elected to do so.

I'm 99.9999% sure there's NOTHING that prevents Hasbro from "re-doing" anything convention-related. It's STILL their product, even if FP distributes it. The fact of the matter is that FP's character choices are limited to product that Hasbro has no intention of ever doing. Anyone remember Fractyl and Packrat? They were originally intended to be vac-metal decoed, but Hasbro nixed that, because unbeknown to 3H the Transmetals were 'a comin'. Metalic flip-changers wouldn't have exactly stolen the Transmetal's thunder, but it shows that Hasbro won't let the fan-boy products get anywhere near their main line.

Also LOTS of toylines do 'Exclusive' figures for conventions that are just imported foriegn variants or molds. Alternator Black-Convoy was something of the sort, wasn't he? (I don't follow Binartech or Alternators). Granted the foriegn stuff usually gets produced first, but that has little bearing on Takara/Tomy's "ability" to produce all the seekers they want.

The only fairness you can expect in toy-collecting is that if you pay for a product, you should recieve it. That's where it begins and ends.

D/L

16. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

<i>is it that hasbro can release him, but then have to deal with a lawsuit from FP?</i>

That would not end well for FP.

Does it really matter? Fallback is a $20 exclusive. Nobody's collection is losing value because of a $7 variant being released.

17. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see the similarity and I could understand if someone was upset, but they're different enough.

The funny thing is I think the Target one looks a lot better. :) 

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Universe and EE Strongarm have no difference.

19. Lumpy

News Credits:

no, i doubt most people are complaining serisously about him, but if they released thundercracker from the classics mold? i'd be seriously pissed, as would plenty of other people who shelled out major bucsk to have those exclusives...if everyone else can have them too, then they arent that exclusive....

20. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    As long as adequate changes are made don't see a problem with another party doing a figure. The changes don't need to be too drastic as to make the toy not repesent who it's suppose to but enough that it's fairly easy to notice the diffeences from the exclusive version.

Exclusives don't even need to apply to thefigure sometimes, alot of SW exclusives are made by a change of packaging or bundling of products.