The Transformers Scale Project

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Locke, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    And now for Junkheap's wave mate...

[​IMG]
    Picture from Seibertron.com
    Generations Thunderwing/Sky Shadow: 1/124 Scale
    Robot height = 52 ft

The Thunderwing/Sky Shadow alt mode clearly started as an F-22, but the wings have been altered with a higher leading edge sweep angle and foward swept wing tips. A common complaint about jet-formers is that they are simply an aircraft toy with an action figure underneath, and in the case of Thunderwing...it's true, it's all true! But, it's a very well proportioned jet that lets us come up with a good scale value.

[​IMG]

A F-22 is 62 ft long, and Thunderwing is 6 inches long (ignoring the drone), so Thunderwing is 1/124 scale. From the image above, you can make an argument that Thunderwing is actually a bit shorter than an actual F-22, but I think it's close enough to call it 1/124.

Interestingly, a google image search for F-22N yields concept art for a naval version of the F-22 that may have been the inspiration used by the Thunderwing design team. This thread on an aircraft modeling site has an image is particularly close.

[​IMG]

2. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    The Autobot car post...

Note that all realistic cars that have appeared in the Classics line have been altered for trademark reasons,
    so I have tried to identify the primary inspiration for use as the scale reference. If anyone has a better
    reference, I'd definitely appreciate the help.

[​IMG]
    Univese Deluxe Prowl/Silverstreak/Smokescreen: 1/34
    Robot height = 16 ft
    The Nissan 350Z is 170" long, and Prowl is 5" long, yielding a scale of 1/34.

[​IMG]
    Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswipe/Red Alert: 1/34
    Robot height = 17 ft
    The Lamborghini MurciƩlago is 180" long, and Sunstreaker is 5" long, yielding a scale of 1/36.
    UPDATE: Dave's Transformers Page and TFWiki believe that the Gallardo is a better fit. The Gallardo is 9 inches shorter at 171", so this changes the scale to 1/34.

[​IMG]
    Reveal the Shield Tracks/Wheeljack: 1/33
    Robot height = 14 ft
    The sixth generation Chevy Corvette is 175" long, and Tracks is 5.25" long, yielding a scale of 1/33.

[​IMG]
    Reveal the Shield Jazz: 1/33
    Robot height = 15 ft
    The Porsche 911 993-generation is 167" long, and Jazz is 5" long, yielding a scale of 1/33.

Clearly, there's nothing too surprising here. As expected, all of the cars are at nearly the same scale;
    unfortunately, they are all too big to really work with Classics Voyager Optimus. Perhaps one of the Masterpiece
    offerings is a better fit.

3. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

The Bruticus combiner post, this was bound to happen.:D 
    This will also include Fansproject Munitioner and Explorer.

The Combaticons: Well at least 3 out of 5 confirmed(Onslaught's and Fansproject Explorer's scale may or may not be valid)

Energon Scout tank combiner limb mold (Energon Blight/Kickback, Timelines Landquake, Rotf/Universe Brawl/"tank" Blastoff) : 1/80 Scale
    Robot Height = 29 ft

Energon Scout helicopter combiner limb mold (Energon Stormcloud/Blackout, Timelines Topspin, Rotf/Universe Vortex/"copter" Swindle) : 1/103 Scale
    Robot Height = 36 ft

Fansproject Munitioner aka Not-Swindle/Warcry : 1/49 Scale
    Robot Height = 17 ft

The problem with trying to find out Onslaught's and Explorer's aka Not-Blastoff's scale is that I don't exactly know what their actual vehicle mode is .
    In Explorer's case, the closest match was the X-37B unmanned spacecraft.
    In that case, his scale would be 1/54 with a robot height of 18.6 ft.
    If we're going with an actual space shuttle (like his repaint Flameblast is) his scale would be 1/341 with a robot height of 121 ft.

In Onslaught's case, while his alt mode is still undetermined, we can still infer what his scale is. Seeing as he's often found carrying Brawl or Blastoff in the back of his trailer, we can possibly say that his scale is either 1/54 or 1/80 with a robot height of 26 or 38 ft.

Bruticus + Fansproject Add Ons : it can be really any of the above scales, since as a result of being a combiner, the components must be of the same scale leading to the scale problems we all know and love. ;) 
    Robot Height = 42.8 ft, 47.25 ft, 70 ft, or 90ft : note that the latter two seem a tad bit implausible.

Attached Files:

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For Onslaught I would try to guess his scale based on the size of his cabin. Two humans are probably meant to sit side by side with a bit of room.

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Very nice work. Scale is always going to be an issue with combiners, but the limbs are actually a bit closer than I expected.

For Explorer, try using the X-34A, that looks like the best match and I'd be interested in seeing what the scale turns out to be if you use that.

[​IMG]

I just found this in the Barricade review on Dave's Transformers Page. Apparently, Barricade/Onslaught is similar to the Astros II MLRS system. It isn't an exact match, but it's probably the best we're going to get.

[​IMG]

Update: It looks like the Anoa MLRS system is close to Onslaught as well, but I can find no dimensions for the vehicle.

Update 2: Here is the wiki article for the Anoa APC. The length is different, but the width might be usable. It looks like the width is in the same ballpark as the Astros.

6. Quantum25

^ Wow, great sources; thanks for the help.

Energon Deluxe "Bruticus" torso mold (Energon Barricade, Timelines Heatwave, Rotf/Universe Onslaught) : Ranges from 1/54 Scale (based on the Anoa) to 1/63 Scale (based on the Astros)
    Robot Height = ranges from 25 to 30 ft

Fansproject Explorer aka Not-Blastoff/Flameblast : 1/107 Scale (alternatively 1/341 Scale for Flameblast due to his included "cockpit" and "space shuttle alt mode".)
    Robot Height = 38 ft (alternatively 121 ft)
    note: for once Bruticus's arms are actually in scale with each other.:D 

Revised Bruticus height = 42.8 ft (based on Munitioner), 47.25 to 55 ft (based on Onslaught), 70 ft (based on Brawl), or 90 to 93.6 ft (based on Vortex and Explorer)

7. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    There are a couple of interesting things here. First, it looks like Onslaught is close to being in scale with Munitioner, so we have a torso and one limb that are in scale. Additionally, the fact that Explorer is an unmanned vehicle gives some flexibility with his scale. As Noideaforaname pointed out with Skystalker, UAVs scale very nicely. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Explorer is a down scaled version of the X-34, especially considering that in many ways the X-37 is already a scaled down X-34.

Therefore, we could create an essentially in scale Bruticus using duplicates of Munitioner and Explorer as seen in this picture from the Bruticus review thread.

[​IMG]

8. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    One word: MP-10

9. Quantum25

Would anyone happen to have the dimensions of MP-10, both vehicle and bot mode?

10. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    I do not know (don't have one) but, to my understanding he is between 1:32 to 1:34 scale

11. Quantum25

That seems about right, but I'll need the exact dimensions to make sure. (I don't have one either)
    Pics courtesy of Cooksux and The Rabbit Haul.

Attached Files:

12. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Autobot cars, part deux....or the ones I forgot

[​IMG]
    Picture from Seibertron.comClassics Deluxe Mirage: 1/33
    Robot height = 15 ft
    A 2006 season Honda RA106 F1 car is 180" long, and Mirage is 5.5" long, yielding a scale of 1/33.

[​IMG]
    Classics Deluxe Bumblebee: 1/34
    Robot height = 15 ft
    The Mazda 2 2-door Hatcback is 153" long, and Bumblebee is 4
    .5" long, yielding a scale of 1/33.
    * Honestly, through a lot of Google image searches, I couldn't really find a car that matched very well, so I assumed that Bumblebee was 1/34 scale and found a hatchback that was 153" long.

[​IMG]
    Universe Deluxe Hound: 1/32
    Robot Height = 13 ft
    The Jeep Hurricane is also 153" long, and Hound is 4.75" long, so the scale is 1/32.
    * I was actually going to go with 'sylized jeep' as the vehicle mode for Hound, but the review on Dave's Transformers Page identified it as a Jeep Hurricane concept vehicle.

[​IMG]

13. OptimusScream

OptimusScream 5 SECOND LEADER

News Credits:
    Movieverse:
    1:24
    HA Bumblebee
    HA Sideswipe
    HA Skids
    HA Barricade
    HA Mudflap
    HA Jazz
    HA Soundwave
    HA Roadbuster (1:26)
    HA Leadfoot (1:26)

14. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

May I ask why there hasn't been any new posts? I Was really enjoying this thread and it says the last post was in August ......Plz post moar ?

15. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Your info is way off man. I don't even think this thread is that old.

16. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Derp :p  I was looking at the last fellows join date XO my bad

17. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Well I thought I would contribute a little so....
    DOTM leader ironhide is 1/29 scale ( real vehicle mode length is 22 feet , toy vehicle mode is 23.1 cm long)
    DOTM deluxe crankcase is 1/47 (Real vehicle is 564.8 cm long , toy vehicle mode is 12 cm)( and since his bot mode is about 14 cm at his horns he should be 21 feet tall)
    Ansd the newer human alliance humans are probably 1/30 scale since we can assume each cm counts as a foot for these guys, wich in turn probabably means the human alliance basics are 1/30 as well.

18. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Christmas happened, got distracted with new video games/systems, etc..
    I'll get back when I can...

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    A special Botcon reveal edition...
    [​IMG]
    Image from Botcon Facebook Page
    Classics Decepticon Overlord Gigatron: 1/57
    ROTF Bludgeon / Banzaitron
    Robot height = 33 ft

With the boxy design, I started with WWII tanks, but after consulting Dave's Transformers Page, it looks like this tank is based on the Japanese Type 90 tank currently in service. I must say it's a very appropriate choice for a robot Samurai like Bludgeon, and I happen to think it works alright for Overlord, but the jury is still out on that one.

[​IMG]

The Overlord toy is 6.75 inches long, and the Type 90 is 385 inches long, so the scale is 1/57.

20. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

I whent ahead and did another measurement:
    ROTF leader megaton is 1/44 scale to 1/42 scale
    ( robot mode ranges from 1127.7 cm tall ( 37 feet) to 1066.8 cm tall (35 feet) leader Meg's is 25.5 cm tall)