The Transformers Scale Project

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Locke, Dec 11, 2011.

1. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

Good luck with that...

2. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.
    It's very doable to calculate the robot mode height based on the toys, and I'd love to see *real* scale pictures of for example Bumblebee next to Prime (robot modes). Obviously it wouldn't apply to G1 megatron or any other mass-shifter though.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Continuing with my 1/60 scale, now with Bot sizes. All bot sizes are to the top of the head (crests included), standing straight up with a slight, natural bend to the knees (Starscream however retains the "chicken leg" bends). For simplicity's sake, final sizes are rounded.

[​IMG]
    Barricade (Legends): 1/63 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 3”, while it's Bot mode is 3.25”
    The real Saleen S281 is 189“ (16’) meaning Barricade would be 205” (17’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Payload: 1/64 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 5”, while it's Bot mode is also 5”
    The real Bulldog II Armored Truck is 321“ (27’) meaning Payload would be, well, 321” (27’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Starscream (Leader): 1/62 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 12”, while it's Bot mode is 10”
    The real F-22 is 744“ (62’) meaning Screamer would be 620” (52’) tall.
    **Interesting to note he does in fact "shrink" significantly, though nowhere near the amount needed to be movie accurate**

[​IMG]
    Megatron: 1/67 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is (from bumper to back of cab) 2.5”, while it's Bot mode is 6.75”
    The real Mack M915 is (from bumper to back of cab) 168“ (14’) meaning Megatron would be 452” (38’) tall.
    **As stated earlier, trucks are incredibly hard to find sizes of. Bear with the odd measurements here.**
    EDIT: The Toy's alt is 7.3" (including trailer), which means the actual alt is 489“ (41')

[​IMG]
    Wreckage: 1/55 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 5”, while it's Bot mode is 5.25”
    The real Stryker is 274“ (23’) meaning Wreckage would be 289” (24’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Bonecrusher: 1/59 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 5.5”, while it's Bot mode is 4.5”
    The real Buffalo MPCV is 324“ (27’) meaning Bonesy would be 266” (22’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Brawl: 1/64 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode (including cannon) is 6”, while it's Bot mode is 4.75”
    The real M1 Abrams (including cannon) is 384“ (32’) meaning Brawl would be 304” (25’) tall.

I got to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at how many of these guys actually fit into this scale. I thought for sure Barricade would've been too small, especially compared to Payload, but sure enough he fits!

[​IMG]
    Air Raid: 1/204 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 6.5”, while it's Bot mode is 5.75”
    The real Boeing 737 AEW&C is 1,324“ (110’) meaning Air Raid would be 1,173” (98’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Springer: 1/197 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 3.5”, while it's Bot mode is 2.75”
    The real V-22 is 688“ (57’) meaning Springer would be 542” (45’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Powerglide: 1/160 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 4”, while it's Bot mode is 3.5”
    The real A-10 is 640“ (53’) meaning Powerglide would be 560” (47’) tall.
    **Powerglide really aught to have been a Legends figure.**

Not too shabby. Curious as to how Stratosphere would fit into this.

WHEW!

4. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and that's great work Noideaforaname. If you don't mind, I may copy some of your formatting because that looks great.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I love you guys. Seriously. :p  but really this is awesome.

6. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Like I said, I'm still going with a rather colossal scale project and using Seibertron pics (because I just don't own enough toys). Will let you know how I get on.

7. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    By all means, do so.

I'll keep adding more when I get the chance. I really only have Movieverse stuff (and very few of the Autobot cast), so I really can't help with a Classics/Autobot scale.

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of the guy above, while Cyberverse Powerglide is 1:160 scale, another toy at about the same scale is Machine Wars Megatron (and all his recolors, Thrust, Megaplex, Wind Sheer). Machine Wars Megatron toy is 12cm long. An actual F-22 Raptor is 1890cm long. This gives us a scale of 1:157. With a robot height of 10cm this means Machine Wars Megatron stands 51.7 feet tall!

While Machine Wars Megatron is a pretty small toy, it actually represents one of the largest Megatrons ever depicted. Want to see how that stacks up against other Megatrons? I actually did a chart based on what I could find as the official heights for various Decepticon and Predacon leaders:

[​IMG]

For comparison, here are some Autobot leaders:

[​IMG]

9. Crowquill

Crowquill Active Member

I only collect Deluxes and Voyagers, but scale really does concern me. And sometimes something like Generations Wreck-Gar comes along that doesn't match anything (but he's in scale to most deluxe robots). I rank my deluxes/Voyagers into 3 broad scales:

Car scale: Most Autobot cars. Voyager DOTM Ironhide
    SUV/Truck Scale: HFTD Brawn, DOTM Barricade and Crankcase. Deluxe movie Ironhide
    Aircraft/Military: Pretty much any tanks/artillery and Fighter jets. DOTM Mindwipe doesn't bother me that much with the other jets, but DOTM Skyhammer next to Tomahawk looks wrong.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    My only complaint is the focus on the movie figures, which I don't collect.

11. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Some more, not following any particular scale.
    Sorry about the heaviness in Movieverse Cons, as I said that's my main focus in collecting.

[​IMG]
    Sideways (Legends): 1/58 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 3”, while it's Bot mode is 2.75”
    The real Audi R8 is 175“ (15’) meaning Sideways would be 160” (13’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Ransack: 1/68 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 4.25”, while it's Bot mode is also 4.25”
    The real Albatros D.III is 288" (24’) meaning Ransack would also be 288” (24’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Starscream (Voyager 2): 1/90 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 8.25”, while it's Bot mode is 6.25”
    The real F-22 is 744“ (62’) meaning Starscream would be 563” (47’) tall.
    **as we can see, different toys of the same character transform differently, leaving us with different "true" bot mode sizes; this Screamer ended up squatting a lot more than the Leader**

[​IMG]
    Dirge: 1/84 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 6.75”, while it's Bot mode is 5.25”
    The real Harrier Jet is 564“ (47’) meaning Dirge would be 441” (37’) tall.
    **there were quite a few Harrier variants (and thus sizes), simply going with a rough average here**

[​IMG]
    Thrust: 1/87 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 7”, while it's Bot mode is 4.75”
    The real F-35 is 612“ (51’) meaning Thrust would be 413” (34’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Terradive: 1/148 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 6”, while it's Bot mode is 5.75”
    The real Sukhoi Su-47 is 890" (74’) meaning Terradive would be 851” (71’) tall.
    **curious how the larger plane-bots tend to be gangly in build**

[​IMG]
    Crankcase (Legends): 1/81 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 2.75”, while it's Bot mode is 3”
    The real Chevrolet Suburban is 222“ (19’) meaning Crankcase would be 243” (20’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Crowbar: 1/73 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 2.75”, while it's Bot mode is 3.12”
    The Carbon Motors E7 is 200“ (17’) meaning Crowbar would be 228” (19’) tall.

[​IMG]
    Hatchet: 1/148 Scale
    Toy's Alt mode is 4.25”, while it's Bot mode is 5” in length (with tail) and 2" in height (up to head)
    The real Eurofighter Typhoon is 629“ (52’) meaning Hatchet would be 740” (62’) in length and 296" (25') in height.

12. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Noideaforaname is doing great work in the movieverse, so I'll be concentrating on Classics first. I should have quite a bit of time this weekend to add more.

13. Yop the Yopper

Yop the Yopper Banned

Looking forward to a Classics concentration.

14. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Picture from Seibertron.com
    Reveal the Shield Lugnut - 1/104 Scale
    Resulting robot mode height = 54 ft (Who needs a combiner?)

Lugnut seems to be a mix of a B-24 fuselage and wings, a B-17 tail, and two turbofan engines instead of four props. It's an odd mix, to be sure, but Hasbro has done a very good job of matching the proportions of Lugnut to that of an actual B-24.

[​IMG]

The only real issue is the fuselage is a bit larger than it should be, but the B-24 was nicknamed the "Flying Boxcar" because of its large, slab-sided fuselage, and I think that's a pretty good description for the RTS Lugnut vehicle mode.

The B-24 had a wingspan of 110 ft, and the toy has a wingspan of 12.75 inches, so the resulting scale is 1/104.

With Lugnut at approximately 1/100 scale, this means that he displays very well with both RTS Legends Prime and Megatron. In fact, with his articulated fingers, he's able to wield Megatron in gun mode, giving us a way to explain a Megatron with a gun mode without resorting to a mass shifting cheat.

[​IMG]
    Picture posted in the Lugnut feedback thread by blue death.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bloody good work here chaps, carry on.

16. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    And now for the awkward side of using RTS Legends Megatron, the seekers...

[​IMG]
    Classics Seekers - 1/103 Scale
    Robot Mode Height = 43 ft (at the head)

There's no mystery as to the alt mode inspiration for the original Seekers, but I did find it interesting that the color scheme for the original Classics Starscream is based on the F-15A prototype aircraft.

[​IMG]

The wingspan of the F-15 seeker mold is 5 inches, and the F-15 has a wingspan of 42 ft 10 in, which results in a scale of 1/103, so it seems reasonable to apply that scale to the seekers and the coneheads.

In robot mode, the seekers are 5 in. tall, and RTS Legends Megatron is 3 in. tall, and I understand that might not work for everyone. Personally, I like the idea that Megatron surrounds himself with the most powerful warriors in the Decepticon ranks and is powerful enough that he keeps everyone in check. Plus, I like the idea of the Decepticons generally towering over the autobots, but I prefer Optimus and Megatron to be the same height.

17. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

I love this thread, good to see that not everyone has given up on scale in Transformers.

Hopefully you guys won't mind me adding some measurements of my own.

Basing it off the cab dimensions of a 1985 K100-4 (I assume it's size it similar to that of a Freightliner FLA86; couldn't find any dimensions for that make of truck other than it's wheelbase), Classics deluxe Prime is somewhere between 1/60 to 1/64 scale.

Now this scale isn't perfect in my opinion as deluxe Prime's tires are obviously to small for the truck and his legs don't compress for alt mode so the actual wheelbase measurement can't be found.

Also I've found that Classics voyager Prime (not counting the windvane) is around 1/43 scale using measures from the same truck I've used for deluxe Prime and the wheelbase of the Freightliner FLA86.

18. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard Quantum. I was just looking at voyager Prime this afternoon. I believe that the Freightliner Argosy is the likely inspiration for the alt mode. I even found this Optimus looking truck for sale, but I didn't have much luck on measurements, so I definitely appreciate the input.

[​IMG]

I like the idea of having duplicate characters in different displays to visualize how the different scales compare, so I'd be inclined to list voyager Megatron at the same. Do you have any thoughts?

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Don't forget the TF Prime figures. I'll be quite curious what they are scale wise.

20. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

I think that'll work. By the way I just noticed this, if you happen to scale up Deluxe Classics Prime next to his Voyager counterpart, he would not only end up taller than him, but also be as tall as movie Prime in real life.