The Transformers Scale Project

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Locke, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    We're finally nearing the end of the G1 inspired Classics molds, and if my list is correct, we're down to the Legends scale.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Hound: 1/52 Scale
    Robot height = 12 ft
    Unlike the deluxe Hound, the legends Hound appears to be based off of the classic Jeep Willys MB. Hound is 2.5" long, and the Willys is 131", so Hound is 1/52 scale.

[​IMG]
    Picture from Seibertron.com
    Universe Legends Jazz: 1/63 Scale
    Robot height = 16 ft
    A Porsche 997 is 175", and Jazz is 2.75", yielding a scale of 1/63.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends G2 Megatron: 1/128 Scale
    Robot height = 29 ft
    A M1A1 Abrams is 32 ft long including the gun, and this corresponds to a length of 3" for legends Megatron. At 1/128, this means Megatron is in scale with Sky Shadow and Thunderwing.

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Really? Nah, it's okay. :D  Glad to see that my math was right though.

3. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Universe Legends Bumblebee: 1/61 Scale
    Robot height = 15 ft
    Bumblebee is a relatively generic compact car, so I'll use the same Mazda 2 length of 153" for Legends Bumblebee. In car mode, Bumblebee is 2.5" long, so his scale is 1/61.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Brawn: 1/68 Scale
    Robot height = 17 ft
    Brawn is essentially a Hummer H3, which is 188" long. Brawn is 2.75" long and is 1/68 scale.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Beachcomber/Sandstorm: 1/96 Scale
    Robot height = 24 ft
    Beachcomber is probably meant to represent some sort of off road racing truck or dune buggy; however, he also bears an uncanny resemblance to the Halo Warthog. According to the Halo Encyclopedia, the Warthog is 20 ft long. At 2.5" long, Beachcomber would be 1/96 scale.

[​IMG]

4. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Universe Legends Rodimus: 1/57 Scale
    Robot height = 14 ft
    Dave's Transformers Page identifies Rodimus as a Dodge Viper with some Audi and Porsche influences. However, I think the profile of Rodimus looks a lot like a Nissan 350z, even more so than Prowl, imho. A 350z is 170", so the resulting scale for a 3" long Rodimus is 1/57.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Wheelie: 1/61 Scale
    Robot height = 15 ft
    Like Legends Bumblebee, Wheelie appears to be a relatively generic two door hatchback. They clearly aren't identical, but I can find no better reference for Wheelie than the Mazda 2 that we used for Bumblebee. Wheelie and Bumblebee happen to also be the same length in vehicle mode, so this makes Wheelie 1/61 scale.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Warpath: 1/200 Scale
    Robot height = 50 ft
    Like deluxe Warpath, legends Warpath is a purely fictional, and quite impractical, H-tank. Therefore, the best reference we that have for scale is the hatch on the turret. The legends hatch is 3/16", and the deluxe hatch is 3/8", so the legends toy is essentially half the scale of the deluxe and this gives us 1/200.

[​IMG]
    Universe Legends Cosmos: Unidentified
    Robot height = Unidentified
    He's a UFO, what do you expect?

5. untitledblinkfa

untitledblinkfa Well-Known Member

Tftm Deluxe jazz is approx 1/30 scale...alt mode 5.25 in, real solstice 157" so approx 29.9, or 30"

Also rotf rampage could be a Caterpillar d9t bulldozer according to a few charts, which are 21.8ft long. The toy was measured at 5" so that'd be a scale of about 1/52.

The same chart has long haul as a 777b truck, which at 31.2ft long would make his scale 1/64. Gets some of the constructions in scale with something I guess

All I've got right now

6. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cybertron Deluxe Hot Shot transforms into a Chrysler ME Four-Twelve. The actual car is 454 centimeters long, while the deluxe toy is 14 centimeters long. Scale is 1/32. This mold was also used to make Cybertron Execellion, Timelines Goldbug and ROTF Breakaway, who also will be 1/32 scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cybertron Legends Hot Shot transforms into a Chrysler ME Four-Twelve. The actual car is 454 centimeters long, while the deluxe toy is 7.5 centimeters long. Scale is 1/61. This mold was also used to make Classic Legends Bumblebee and Universe Legends Red Alert, who also will be 1/61 scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cybertron Voyager Evac turns into an Aerospatiale SA 365 Dauphin N2 Helicopter. The fusilage of helicopter is 1164 centimeters long, while the toy's fusilage is 26 centimeters long. Scale is 1/44. Universe Springer, Universe Blades and Timelines Galvatron share this mold, so they would also be 1/44 scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cybertron Legends Evac turns into an Aerospatiale SA 365 Dauphin N2 Helicopter. The fusilage of helicopter is 1164 centimeters long, while the toy's fusilage is 10.5 centimeters long. Scale is 1/110. Classic Whirl and Universe Blades share this mold, so they would also be 1/110 scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    The last two G1 Classics?

[​IMG]
    Reveal the Shield Legends Prowl: 1/62 Scale
    Robot height = 15 ft
    Prowl doesn't look a lot like a 350z, but I think that was probably the original intent. At 2.75" long, RTS Prowl is 1/62 scale.

[​IMG]
    Reveal the Shield Legends Trailcutter: 1/70 - 1/84 Scale
    Robot height = 19 - 23 ft
    Trailcutter's alt mode is an updated version the G1 pickup with a camper shell. He doesn't really match any actual truck that I've been able to find, but Trailcutter looks to be a standard cab pickup with a ground effect package similar to a Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. A regular cab Tacoma is 190" long, so this would make Trailcutter 1/70 scale. If we assume instead that Trailcutter is based off of a full size pickup like the F-150 long bed at 230", his scale would be 1/84.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Lugnut (Animated): 1/78 Scale
    Toy's alt= 8.25"; bot= 5.5"
    Bomber Plane= 641” (53’)
    Robot height= 429” (36’)
    *Lugnut appears to be a (heavily stylized) mix of the Heinkel He 111 and the B-25 Mitchell, which are roughly the same size in length (646" and 635" respectively); used the average*
    **Once again I can't help but wonder if Starscream will ever manage to pull off the "big alt, little bot" thing a few other aircraft-formers have done**

[​IMG]
    Pic from TFW Resources
    Bombshock (PCC): 1/130 Scale
    Toy's alt= 4.125"; bot= 3.75"; combined= 7"
    Artillery Truck (excluding the PCC pegs)= 536” (45’)
    Robot height (to top of head)= 488” (41’)
    Combined height (to top of head)= 910" (76')

Like a lot of PCCs (both Commanders and Drones), Bombshock doesn't appear to be based on any one particular model of vehicle, so instead we're going by the width of the doors. Fellow military Cons Megatron and Hailstorm (using the 1/100 scale) have doors that would be right at 26" (or just over 2') in real life; apply that to Bombshock and we get 1/130 scale for him.

Curiously, the Combaticon drones for the most part lack any type of doors (the "Swindle" one being the sole exception), and the two tanks don't seem to have any form of windows or slits to look out of. Unmanned drones in the truest sense, and as we've seen with other drone-based TFs their scale can believably vary wildly. Assuming they're in perfect scale with Bombshock himself, we get these sizes for their vehicular forms:
    [​IMG]
    Missile Carrier: 325" (27')
    [​IMG]
    Tank: 374" (31')
    [​IMG]
    Halftrack: 341" (28')
    [​IMG]
    Armored Truck: 341" (28')
    **Using the door method above, the Armored Truck would be at 1/69 scale, and only 181" (15')**

9. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

Darkwing (G1) - Panavia Tornado GR1
    Vehicle length: 658"
    Toy length: 7.5"
    Scale: 1/87.73333333

Robot height: 5 2/16"
    Real height: 37.47'

Throttle: 1.75"
    Height: 12.79'

10. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    It's been two months since we started this crazy project, so I wanted to take a break from drooling over Toy Fair pictures to take stock of how much progress this community has made. By my count, we've calculated the scale of 357 Transformers. That's an average of 6 figures a day over the last two months.

Prime: 1
    Animated: 1
    Movie: 116
    Classics: 82
    Masterpiece: 8
    Unicron Trilogy: 6
    Beast Wars: 98
    G1: 37
    Total: 357

We are essentially done with the Beast Wars show characters, the movie Decepticons, and the G1 Classics. Out of all the original Classics molds, the only ones that I don't think we've covered are the four WFC molds, Beast Wars Dinobot and Cheetor, and Armada Hot Shot.

With all that we've accomplished, there's still plenty of work to be done. We've just started on the Unicron trilogy, Animated, and Prime, and I'm hoping to work on completing the movie Autobots to match our list of Decepticons.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and I hope people are continuing to find this interesting.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Congrats to everyone putting in the effort. I love this thread.

But since I suck at identifying cars I'll help how I can and give some toy measurements.

PRID Wheeljack:
    Vehicle mode is 5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.
    Bot mode is 5 inches tall to the top of his head or basically 6 to the top of his wings.
    I have no idea what his vehicle mode is based on.

FE Bumblebee:
    Vehicle mode is 5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.
    Bot mode is 5.25 inches tall.
    Also no idea what specific car he is.

12. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here are some G1 toys.

The Classic Pretenders Bumblebee, Grimlock, Jazz and Starscream are depicted as human size in the toy commercial. The toys are a smidge over 6 inches tall, making them about 1/12 scale.

Transformers Classic Pretenders commercial - YouTube

Also, we know Micromasters are NOT full sized vehicles in alt mode, so how do we give them scale? Well, in issue #232 of the Marvel UK Transformers comic Micromaster Sunrunner commented that Micromasters are 7 feet tall. Since a Micromaster toy measures about 2 inches tall you can say Micromasters are about 1/42 scale, no matter their alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Slowly figuring out these PCCs:

[​IMG]
    Icepick (PCC): 1/67 Scale
    Toy's alt= 4.25"; bot= 4.25"
    Snowcat = 285” (24’)
    Robot height = 285” (24’)

Icepick doesn't seem to be based on any one particular snowcat, and he has no doors to measure like Bombshock did. At first I couldn't even tell if he could seat one or two people. The only thing that really helps tell his scale are, oddly enough, the windshield wipers.
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Wikipedia
    Icepick's wipers are impractical for just one person sitting in the middle, and most two-seated automobiles are somewhere near 70" wide. Icepick is going to be a bit wider still, along the lines of 100" (excluding the plow blades). The toy has a width of 1.5", which gives us the scale of 1/67.
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron

Bonus:
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Chainclaw (PCC): 1/67 Scale
    Robot height = 151” (13’)

Minicons, especially the PCC ones that turn into tools/weapons, can believably fit in virtually any scale, but Icepick's entry doesn't feel complete without his little partner. Which reminds me:

[​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Chopster (PCC): 1/77 Scale
    Robot height = 193” (16’)

[​IMG]
    Pic from TFW Resources
    Groundspike (PCC): 1/89 Scale
    Robot height = 256” (21’)

14. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Note: I am in no way trying to upsurge the previous measurement for this figure, however the same measurements were used for it's retool (or rather the figure it was retooled from) and I feel the changes to the vehicle mode are substantial enough to warrant measuring separately.

Generations Wheeljack

Let's Begin! I used the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 as a basis for my measurements (the most recent sixth-gen corvette) and measured the length, width, height and wheelbase.

The length of a Chevrolet Corvette is 175.6" and Wheeljack himself is 5.3125" (5 5/16") long so therefore the length scale is 1/33.

The width of a Chevrolet Corvette is 75.9" whilst Wheeljack is 2.5" wide, yielding a scale of 1/30.

The height of a Chevrolet Corvette is 49" and Wheeljack is 1.5" tall so he is 1/32 scale for height.

The wheelbase of a Chevrolet Corvette (tired of me saying that yet? :p ) is 105.7" whilst Wheeljack's wheelbase is 3.1875", so he has a scale of 1/33.

That's not all boys and girls, I did my best to work out the measurements for Wheeljack's front spoiler, the main difference to Tracks. The front spoiler is 0.3125" long, exactly 1/17 of the overall length of the figure. 1/17 of the actual car's length is 10.3294". This gives a scale of 1/33.

I averaged out the scales to give an overall scale of 1/32.2 or simply 1/32. For Wheeljack's robot mode, he is 4.875" tall at the head so he is 13' and 0.97" tall to the head using the 1/32.2 scale. To the wings he is 5.75" as a figure and 15' and 5.15" in actual scaled form. I personally feel this is a much more satisfactory height for Wheeljack, when measured to the wings at least.

Parting Note: My Wheeljack is unmodded and retains the stock height and all other stick measurements. If anyone feels I have measured something incorrectly, I am open to feedback.

15. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Alright, I was hoping that someone who knows more about cars than I do would accept this challenge, but here's my best shot.

[​IMG]
    Prime First Edition Bumblebee: 1/40 Scale
    Robot height = 17 ft
    I'm going to cheat on this one and use the review on Dave's Transformers Page. According to the review, Bumblebee is mostly a late model Dodge Challenger (Prime Cliffjumper happens to be a classic Dodge Challenger) with some Ford and Chrysler elements. A Dodge Challenger is 198 inches long, so First Edition Bumblebee is 1/40 scale, a smaller scale than the typical deluxe car. Of course, RID Bumblebee will be an even smaller scale than the FE mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prime First Edition Wheeljack: 1/30 - 1/37 Scale
    Robot height = 12-15 ft
    Wheeljack is a bit harder because it seems that he takes elements from several different concept and supercars. The closest match that I've found is the e-Wolf Alpha-2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a length measurement of the Alpha-2, so we have to look to more 'conventional' cars. Wheeljack also appear to have elements from the Lotus Elise and the Ferrari Enzo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Elise is 149" long and the Enzo is 185". This puts Wheeljack's scale somewhere between 1/30 and 1/37. If e-Wolf ever releases more detailed specs for the Alpha-2, we can update the scale.

I'm a little behind on getting the front page updated with the latest contributions from Noideaforaname, Ironhide1706, JJohnson, and Scaleface. Thanks for the contributions, and I hope to get everything updated in the next couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    It seems that quite a few people are interested with robot mode scale, especially with the movie 'bots, so I wanted to see how the movie toys compare to the official published heights. I started with the official heights and lengths from the TFTM scale chart. Then I compared the robot height calculated using the vehicle scale to the official height and calculated the percent difference. For those interested, I've also included the scale based on the robot mode. This is a work in progress but should include all of the unique molds created for the five Autobots from the first movie.

[​IMG]

As this list expands, I will probably need to find a better way to post this; maybe Google docs would be a better choice.

17. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

To be honest, PRiD Wheeljack looks like an evolution of the handful of Stratos concepts that have popped up in hte last 5 or so years, with a few details the designer threw in on top of it.

18. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm glad someone was able to figure out something for those figures. I also just got FE Cliffjumper so I'll send out the stats. I've got FE Bulkhead and Starscream en rout so I'll post those once I get them. FE Optimus too but he's apparently walking here so he won't be here soon.

Anyway, FE Cliffjumper:
    Vehicle mode is 5 inches long and 2.25 wide.
    Robot mode is 5 inches to the top of the head, 5.5 to the top of the shoulders.

19. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Nice to have a list comparing the toys' estimated height compared to the official heights and that they are, for the most part, pretty close. It's a bit jumbled, though. I think organizing it by character would be good (i.e. all the Jazzes together).

[​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Starscream (Animated Voyager): 1/65 Scale
    Toy alt = 8.75"; Bot = 7.5"
    Jet = 570” (48’)
    Robot Height = 488” (41’)

Nothing at all like a Harrier, rather Starscream's alt mode is strongly similar in design to the YF-19 from Macross, which is 733" (61'; or 18.62 meters) in length:
    [​IMG]

Source: Shinsei Industry YF-19

However, Starscream's nose/cockpit section is embedded within the main "body" of the aircraft (which itself is proportionally smaller), making that length useless for scale. With Photoshop we can manipulate the YF-19 to look like Screamer's jet, all the while having a ruler to measure. The resulting craft is around 570", giving us our scale.
    [​IMG]
    Source: TOYSREVIL: transformers animated toys: starscream (image dump)

Interestingly, Masterpeice G1 Starscream, Leader Movie Starscream, and Voyager Animated Starscream are roughly in-scale with each other. Wonder if the other Screamers have toys of similar scale.

20. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Thanks! It's not obvious, but I sorted the list by vehicle mode scale so that it could be compared with the lists on the first page. If it makes more sense, I can definitely sort by another column. I still think something like Google docs is the long term solution so that the list is dynamic.

And for Ryoku...

[​IMG]
    Prime First Edition Cliffjumper: 1/38 Scale
    Robot height = 16 ft
    It seems that Cliffjumper is pretty definitively based off of a classic Dodge Challenger. A 1970 Dodge Challenger was 191" long, so that makes Cliffjumper 1/38 scale.