The Transformers Reimagining

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dinobot Snarl, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

I have feeling, that Hasbro is getting a tighter grip on their franchises:

The new Gijoe movie, is SOOO much tighter to the original designs. Snake Eyes Cobra Commander, Hiss Tanks, and more are looking much more like original designs instead of what we saw last time around.

It is very possible that Hasbro is ready to stop letting directors do what ever they please with their franchise, I hope so... because I'm tired of Bay's interpretation Transformers.

2. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    GI Joe didn't make over one billion dollars.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i doubt bay would be doing TF4 if he couldnt do mostly what he wanted

4. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Hasbro does love their brands.... but they also love giant piles of money. I don't see Hasbro all of a sudden turning money down to go "Yeah, we don't like how the trilogy that made us billions of dollars looks. Let's change it up for the fourth one in a drastic way." In the long run, Hasbro is a business first and foremost, and they're going to stay in the path where money is.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I really hope so. I'd like to see a truly amazing Transformers movie.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yes sir. Bay is still going to have his control on this movie. I'm fine with that.

This as well. I'd like to believe Hasbro also has plenty of creative input into the movies anyways.

7. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

This.

People also seem to forget that the majority of viewers are not hardcore fans. They want to see big robots fight and explosions, and Bay delivered it.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Considering wild redesigns is nothing new in Transformers, and they themselves slapping well-known names on unrelated toys just to secure a trademark, I severely doubt Hasbro would bother getting involved in any designs beyond utter basics (i.e. x character should be something x-related).

9. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

In case you aren't aware, Both the writers and directors have to consult with Hasbro subject matter experts of each franchise prior to a decision being made;
    i.e. like continuity, character designs, ext.

That said, Hasbro gave Michael Bay the green light on all three films, and supported every decision that he made. Nothing in any of the films, inclusing ROTF, was done without Hasbro's approval or permission.

Also, the same goes for G.I. JOE Rise of Cobra. Both Mr. Goldner and the G.I. Joe marketing team, as well as Larry Hama, were consulted throughout the movie's production.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

All I want now is a great movie that can please fans, critics and the audiences without anyone feeling alienated like how Avengers or The Dark Knight did.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think this is something many people don't realise or consider. I may rag on Bay a lot but everything has to pass before Hasbro for okaying too. If you don't like a design or whatever then Hasbro has to take some measure of the 'blame' too for allowing it to pass into movie production. Although from what I remember reading way back Hasbro had a fairly hands-off approach for the first film so Hollywood could apply their knowledge and experience to translating the toyline into a general appeal live-action movie.

But with balls on Devastator, pissing robots and dogs, ass shots of both guys and gals, and comedy sequences involving suggested homosexual trists in company bathrooms all apparently being okayed by Hasbro, you have to wonder how extreme the stuff Hasbro actually said 'No' to was. I mean I can't imagine they signed off happy on absolutely everything laid before them. There had to have been some things they looked at and went: "Um... No'.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The Transformers Trilogy: The Not-Approved-By-Hasbro Edition! Now with even LESS robots and more dirty jokes!

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I'd cast an eye over it.

But if Hasbro does have to take the blame for letting awful movie moments slip through we shall have to stop calling it 'BayFormers' and start calling it 'HasFormers' when people want to slate it and apportion blame.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well then Hasbro needs to do something about the movies because without the Asian market Hasbro would have been stuck with Dark of the Moon toys that US retailers did not want.

Yea media money is great because Paramount does all the work and Hasbro gets a nice fat paycheck. But last time I checked selling toys was still a huge part of how Hasbro makes money.

Just look at how the GI Joe movie toys not moving hurt Hasbro's GI Joe brand. Running Transformers into the movie ground might not be the best idea of how to keep retail partners happy enough to keep buying Transformers toys for their stores from Hasbro.

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Well, it's not like Hasbro couldn't have just found Bay's sense of humor funny like majority of the audience. They did approve of rhinoceros farts in BW. ;) 

Chances are Hasbro can only (or is only willing to) change things directly related to a Transformer character, and even then only for the iconic handful. IIRC, Soundwave was originally going to be in the first movie, but since Hasbro didn't find him Soundwavey enough his roles evolved into Barricade, Frenzy, and Blackout.
    Not to mention Hasbro's a toy company first and foremost, not a media one (yet). That's no real position to say "that joke is in poor taste" "this guy needs more screen time" or "this design needs tweaking." There's a reason they hired Bay and company.

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Agreed.

But it does sort of make you wonder just how much of the movie Hasbro was privy to. As someone stated above, they most likely had control over things that pertained to them/Transformers. Sam's role in the movie? Not really their business. Optimus Prime's design? Their opinion is key. Dogs humping? No reason to even raise that scene/part of the 'script' with them. Devastator's balls? There's no need for Hasbro to see the fully rendered 360 turntable of Devastator; simply show them the various pieces of concept art and they may or may not sign off on it. Jerry Wang in the stall? Nothing to do with Hasbro. Shockwave's alternate mode? Hasbro will probably want to sign off on it.

17. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

But I would think that Hasbro would want to know about that kinda stuff. Wouldn't they be worried what kind of impression shit like that (I call dogs humping, robot balls, Sam's role and stupid toilet humor, etc. in the movies shit) would make on their franchise? Maybe for us who are fans already it wouldn't do to much, but what about the new people they are trying to draw in? I'm sure that for some of them that stuff probably didn't bother them. But I'm also sure there are some who are like me and was just turned off by it.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    While I see your point, to take it into Extremoland for a moment that would suggest Bay could've put bare bouncing breasts and full frontal nudity into the movie and not had to go to Hasbro for approval on it unless it was robo-tits and mecha-vag.

As the guy just above me posted Hasbro would likely have a vested interest in how the whole movie presented itself considering it's trying to sell toys to kids off it. Bay may not have wanted to make a toy movie but he still has to fulfil his part in making it (somewhat) acceptable for kids to see it to shift toys for Hasbro.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If i was Hasbro. Their would be no dirty jokes since I want parents to buy the toys for their kids.

20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yes, I think a lot of fans do feel alienated, like they're favorite series is not being well represented.
    Many of the Marvel movies change enough to attract new fans, but keep enough of the old for the established fans.
    The movie franchise however is like poison which has gotten into the blood stream of the fanebase, which sadly seems to have no antidote.