the transformers mythos the animated series and the brave mythos

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Jun 24, 2008.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

people i got a question when it comes to the transformers mythos and the variouse animated series

when it comes to transformers cybertron /galaxy force its been said over time that there are quite a number of homages to the brave mythos

for example when it comes to leobreakers character the way he and optimus combine for savage claw mode and their claw attack move is pretty much a take on gaogaigar combining with goldymarg when it comes to their hammer attack and hell and heaven attack

savage claw mode

hell and heaven attack

goldion hammer attack

while cybertron wing saber and optimus primes transformation to sonic wing mode could be seen as being a transformer take on gaigars merging with stealth gao

sonic wing mode

final fusion

and then theres cybertron hotshot and gaogaigars volfogg

when it comes to the fact that one could be seen as being based in some part on the other character model wise for the robot and vehicle mode

i'm sure most of us remember seeing that idea explored fan repaint wise a while back

heres my question on the matter

just how much further exactly could one go in creating a transformer animated series in which said animated series is for all intents and purpose modeled after the brave mythos?

but with it being done in such a way that legally speaking it would not actually be an act of copyright violation

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    It wouldnt be a copyright violation because they are made by the same company (The toys any way). Car Robots was pretty close to a Brave show too. To be fair, it won't be to close without a monster of the week. Braves do have main villains right from the outset but more often than not they call on the monsters of the week to fight the heroes of the piece. With transformers it just doesnt happen.
    It is also of my opinion that Cybertron Hotshot's design/transformation is a reference to most titular Braves transformations (Dagarn, Dran, Dagfire) and a few other brave cars. Just look at Hotshot's face (the toy not the TV show) it just screams brave.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, I personally don't see the similarities you see.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nor I. Besides how many ways can Mecha be done without something reflecting something else?

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've got some good thoughts there. I think the word "homage" is thrown around a bit too much when noting similarities between series and characters. To me, an homage is an intentionally implied tribute or nod to a particular character, not mere similarities between design/color/alt mode/transformation. I wouldn't call Energon Starscream an homage to G2 Smokescreen, in spite of them being nearly identical from a design standpoint.

The look of the latter part of Japanese G1 (like Victory) and the early Brave series (such as Exkiser) have many similarities, in my opinion not because of intentional homages, but because it's likely most of the same designers were working on both series.

Even though Takara focused its Transformers line on Beast Wars during the 90s, the concept of transforming vehicle/robots from Takara never really went away thanks to Brave, which continued from 1990-1998. Because those styles were developed and became the norm for most of the decade, when Car Robots rolled around, several of the characters - Rail Racer and Landfill come to mind - could have easily been part of another Brave series. For all we know, maybe they were planned for a Brave series after GaoGaiGar before being shunted into Car Robots? (a supposition on my part)

The Brave series toys are a very close cousin to TFs, and definitely a major part of what TFs have become today. It's unfortunate most people know so little about them.

Again, I hesitate to use the word "homage", but the similarities Roanstalker mentions here are striking, to say the least. "Reference" is perhaps a good word.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

found another possible brave combiner team

you ask me railracer could quite possibly be seen as being a more modern day take on this team

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    You're right. I always thought they could be (Though he doesnt have a mouth plate where as all combined braves have mouth pieces. Its a rule!

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

is it just me or could one look at the rid railracer as being a more modern day transformers take on the liner dagwon combiner team

liner dagwon

railracer

now that is awesome in itself

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

just out of curiosity people

would it be possible to kitbash all 3 members of team bullet train and classics astrotrain in such a way that to as great a degree as possible

railspike becomes dag turbo

midnight express becomes dag armor

rapidrun becomes dag wing

with classics astrotrain becoming dag drill

now that would be beyond awesome right there

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I thought it was confirmed that the (MANY) GaoGaiGar references in Galaxy Force were completely intentional.

11. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Landfill and Railracer were orginally intended for a brave line from what I've read on here many times before. Something about no molded faction symbols on them or something? Either way thats been discussed and pretty much accepted before I believe...

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Accepted by many, including myself, for the reasons you mentioned. It certainly stands to reason that if a toy were near the end of the design process and the line it was intended for was cancelled, it would be pushed ahead to the next line if there was a good fit. I don't believe there's ever been concrete evidence from anywhere proving that's what happened, however. At this point, it's unlikely we'd ever get a solid answer.

Off topic... in a perfect world, I'd like to see the best 5-10 Brave figs recolored, assigned factions, and branded into a one-off "Expanded Universe" Transformers line.

13. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

is it just me or does car robots gigatron have a rather clear resemblance to that dinegeist triplechanger character from brave exkaiser

the one that triple changes from jet to wqinged dragon to robot mode

i'm getting a serious flashback to galaxy convoys and grandmaster galvatrons final fight from transformers galaxy force

in this other clip here

fro 38 to 108
    when it comes to gaurdwing, gaurdrescue, gaurdfire, and gaurdstar one could almost see energon jetfire,energon inferno , energon towline and cybertron crosswise as being more modern day transformer versions of those 4 brave characters

i got a question

how would it go over in the legal sense if hasbro were to repaint and rerelease energon jetfire, inferno, towline and cybertron crosswise as four original transformer characters in which the four new transformer characters sported the colorscheme of the brave character they resembled in vehicle and robot mode?

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    See, my feeling is the engineering is a little too advanced to be a pure unused design. None of the Gaogaigar 'bots had ball joints or the level of poseability that either of those teams did.

However, I think maybe it was a case of renovating some concept work that was done for a ninth Brave series, maybe the designs got pretty far along, and they just got tweaked. Because I see a lot of Brave in those two teams, but in Rail Racer especially I see some Magnaboss too.

I'm also all for some Brave toys making it as Transformers. Spread the love that is Pegasus Saber!

Actually, the truth is that Dinogeist is probably closer to Snapdragon - very similar modes going on there.

Gigatron, ironically, has a lot in common with an enemy from the end of Goldran. The linework for that big bad is in the Brave series Memorial Book. Here's a comparison I did a while back:

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's a good one. There's a great match up there. It's an anime common, of course (Gravion Zwei has a similar sequence in the intro, ironically that was also worked on by the staff of the Brave series). That said, the similarities are uncanny. And as previously mentioned, there's a lot of Brave in Galaxy Force.

The legalities of Brave are tricky. Sunrise owns the rights to the characters and the shows, and Bandai basically owns Sunrise these days. However, Takara retained the rights to the mecha they designed as toys, as well as many of the Transformers designs that got incorporated into the shows as monsters of the week (aka the frequent reuse of the Deathsaurus and Sonic Bomber designs as well as the lesser Geisters who were based on the other four Dinobots). So Hasbro could in theory do it. They might have trouble if it were the same colours, and the same name, but evidently it's not impossible, as the original intention of naming the Classics Mirage repaint Crasher proves.

15. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

the bit about giving the 4 new transformer characters differant names i can understand when it comestothe whole copyright bit

what i'm thinking on the matter is more along the lines of hasbro using any transformer figure mold from the post g1 toylines

any figure that has near to full posibility to full posibility to super full posibility would be brought back in the classics universe line with the transformer figure sporting a colorscheme based on this or that brave character it shares a good resemblance to for the vehicle and or robot mode but with the transformer character itself being a entirly original new character all together when it come to the character profile part

it would more or less be a rather simple way to expand on the classics universe toyline character count wise when it comes to the new character bit

16. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Hmm yes how sad it is, more TF fans should know abt the Brave series. it was Brave that carried on the torch through-out the 90's for transforming robots when TF wasn't around for that particular era.

Heck even when i'm talking to some longtime TF fans here in s'pore. whenever i bring up the topic of Brave, it just drew a blank like HUH?!? from most of them. but luckily when i start explaining back from the beginning stating it's links to TF series like Masterforce, Victory, giving them the info of Brave on wikipedia & those cool clips on youtube (also showing them our Brave thread :D ). most were surprisingly receptive & open-minded abt it. so there's hope :) .

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    TFs was alive and thriving in the 90's (actually it's heroic rise from teh near grave happened at around the mid-90's) unless I just misread what you said. :dunce