The Transformers Movie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RiceAddict, Dec 2, 2006.

1. RiceAddict

RiceAddict formerly cypher

What with all the chatter about the toys, character designs, the director, the story etc, I think there's some potential and positives about the Transformers The Movie.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=113371

After reading the backs of the boxes, IMOP, I believe the filmmakers are on the right track with this flick. Rather than searching for the energon cube (as some were previously concerned with) it clearly states the characters are in search for the "Allspark". As far as the preview toys go, the explanation of the protoforms is logical, and is an interesting twist on the Transformers origins. Rather than being confined to type of camo, the mechanics of their being can adapt accordingly to any mechanized enviroment around them. It creates interesting possibilites for future stories invlolving these characters. Granted, some of the directions Bay and his crew have taken are bold and different, but that isn't bad at all. In the end, this movie is coming out one way or another, so why not be thankful that a big budget movie based on our favorite past time is being released to the masses. . . .

2. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I'm very thankful. I like the direction they've taken for this film.

3. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

The "doncept" characters (Jazz and Ratchet) - Wow.
    The Leaked CGI (the copter, Big MEgs, Prime and BB) - SWEET!
    The leaked toy protos (Screamer and the copter) - Again, wow.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I Totally Dig Everything They Are Doing

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I have great faith in ILM's ability to deliver the goods effects-wise. I love the designs, and the toys I've seen so far are awesome.

6. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I am grateful for this film and support it 100%. Ive been waiting for this my whole life. I mean I remember when I was a kid growing up and could only dream of seeing such a film and now its really going to happen. The designs look awesome, the plot is good, its three movies deep! O yeah!

7. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    So far so good, even though I am not fond of the protoforms, I am can't wait for Barricade's bot mode pic !! Decep police car FTW.

8. mattjy

mattjy Homobot

Same here, loving everythign we've seen so far. The design are nothing like I expected, but that's a good thing - they've really used their imagination and creativity with thinking outside the box (no pun intended) rather than just subtle variations in previous lines. I admit that a lot of the designs don't resemble the charcaters' previous incarnations, but it really doesn't bother me because they look to me how Transformers always whould have been. :)  And I can't believe some people think Bumblebee's ugly! He's so cute! Wouldn't be surprised if he's the plush toy that's been mentioned.

well I've found this. dosn't give much away. it's listed as Brawl but I'm guessing that's because it was posted before his name was confirmed. It's looks better in teh thumbnail rather than the full size pic. Not seen this before so thought I'd post the link:

http://flickr.com/photos/jalopnik/217343777/

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Much thanks, Even the image only showed one part of its body. :) 

10. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

It took a while to get used to, going over the designs in my head, but I can appreciate what they've done.

11. mattjy

mattjy Homobot

no worries

let's hope we get to see the whole thing soon!

and ironhide

and bonecrusher

and frenzy lol

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I appreciate the effort and work that's going into this movie for sure.

Hasbro, Michael, Don and the writers have IMPO taken on a daunting and somewhat impossible task. I mean we're talking about a fandom that went Apes*&t over Hasbro using shorter smoke stacks on MP-01 then Takara used & how the waist and legs on MP-01 aren't G1 Prime accurate.

Like Bob Skir did beforehand these guys have dared to take Transformers in a new direction. Some people like 'em, some don't. And unfortunately some of those who don't decide to take it from simple criticism to down right insults.

I guess I'm not so rigid in thinking in "What makes a Transformers Transformers" since I got back into it by watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines. So if I can like those shows (particularly BM) then this shouldn't be a problem.

With A/E/C & RID I definitely see commonalities with G1 beforehand. Meaning a "boxy" vehicular look. And while it's not bad, I personally find it refreshing to change the looks around a bit. And using the same G1 names means nothing to me. I mean Hasbro's been doing it for years, so if I had no problem with it then. I definitely don't now :) 

If I don't like the movie then I don't like it. But it won't be because I didn't at least give it a chance. But generally I don't usually hate movies, I just have no interest in seeing 'em. So I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy the movie in some way next year.

I might not be academy award winning material, but a good Sci-fi action flick is always appreciated :) 

13. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

I also like the direction this movie is going....I just find it hard to get used to the look of the bots in Robot mode. To me, Prime.....doesn't look like Prime and I'm not even comparing him to the G1 one, just lining them all up there's something missing.

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Yes, this movie indeed is a whole new world. I like it. I can't say more 'til I see the movie. ^^ Or the trailer.

15. betetta

betetta guitar face

love is not the word for it definitely, but despite some details i like what i have seen & read so far.

16. Shaun_C

The problem as I see it is that some people are WAY too emotionally invested in this movie over all

But then again, people get like that when it comes to trivial things - playing video games, watching TV, sports etc etc.

But if you're so bothered by something, is there really any need to continually repeat that point over and over, and in a overly aggressive manner at that? If you dislike it that much, why pay attention to news just to make a "OMG Rock Lords" or "Another reason to hate the movie"

If this movie is bad, fine, I've lost $10 and a few hours and I'll be disappointed. Am I gonna log onto 2005 and Allspark vehemently voicing my displeasure? No. I'll say what I liked and didn't like. But I won't go half cocked going on about how so and so is a idiot

I can understand reacting this way to real matters - poverty, bereavements, separations. But going hostile because you don't like the way a movie is being created is way over the top IMPO

17. mattjy

mattjy Homobot

here here

good to hear from someone with a bit of perspective. I wish more people would just relax and aim to enjoy the movie for what it is.

18. Shaun_C

Unfortunately that's not possible Mattjy :( 

I've been paying attention to the online fandom since the later part of the 90's when I first got interested in Transformers again.

Like Trekkies and hardcore SW fans, some just take it way too seriously to the point it's a way of life for them. Remember it's fans who threatened the life of Bob Skir for his work on Beast Machines using tired cliches of "You raped my childhood" and whatnot. And ironicly 1/2 a decade later and that same fervour has rasied it's head. It's pretty dissapointing when you think about it as these are grown men and women acting in a way that as children we were trained by our parents not to act like.

As I see it part of the problem is that some of this fandom see this as THEIR franchise. Since THEY kept interest in it long after the show and comics petered out. So they feel that THEY deserve to have a movie the way THEY want it. There's also an inherant arrogance as some of them feel that Hasbro owes it to them to make the movie this way. There are some posters on Murphy's board, Bay's board and on the Official movie board that give me that impression

*Some=those who voice their dislike in an over the top manner*

I guess I'm the lucky one, I mean I did own TFTM on VHS as I owned many VHS tapes of cartoons back them. But when I first saw BW I barely remembered G1 so I had no bias. And as such I'm more accepting of it when things are changed. I have a definition of what Transformers is for me, but it's more broad in a sense thus allows for certain deviences. Me liking BM is proof of that :) 

Another part of the problem as I see it is the anonymity of the internet. This provides a person to say things he/she would NEVER say to someone in their face. Hence the over the top manner in which certain people choose to voice their dislike (I'm thinking of Cliffy B and comments made by Seibertron.com when I say this). And is what gave birth to the use of epithets like Kool-aid drinkers and dick-riders.

So hoping for people to relax while being a logical and even reasonable goal. Given the nature of fandoms (anime, videogame, comic, etc.) it's pretty unlikely. It's just fortunate that people like that are more of the minority while the majority tend to be more reasonable minded :) 

19. mattjy

mattjy Homobot

yeah, I do try to remember that it's actually a small proportion of people who pst on these boards too. Still most people on this thread seem to be feeling positive about the movie :)  I'm just looking forward to more info and pics!! :) 

20. indecks

indecks Banned

I admit, when I first saw images of Megatron, Prime and Starscream, I was pretty miffed, but some of the things have grown on me. I still don't like Megatron and Starscream's respective designs, but who knows, maybe they will rock booty once the finished product is out, who can tell.