The Transformers Movie and G1 collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mega Convoy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

So as we all know there's a Transformers movie coming next year and more than likely we'll see a big spike in all Transformers popularity what with new fans/returning fans. With the flood of reissues and KO's with G1 quality surfacing lately, I've been debating on selling off some of my old G1's. The only reason I've held out so long is because I couldn't make up my mind plus I really prefer G1 art to the reissues for the most part and own some of the original boxes as part of my collection. And I respect them for their place in history. But now with these KO dealers producing what I understand to be top quality stuff AND in G1 repro boxes almost identical to the originals, the time seems like it's getting closer and I have more reason to consider selling them.

The question is, whether to wait until the movie or sell before things like Soundwave and the Ratbat batch are released? With Soundwave being a different mold, do you think we'll see an immediate and substantial drop in demand/price similar to like Predaking was, or would the best time to sell probably be right around the movie's release next year? I recognize that the more casual fans will be happy with a reissue and probably wouldn't pay original prices to start with, much less after a reissue, but for the hardcore G1 or Japanese toy buyer, do you think that demand and prices will likely reach an all time high during the movie year, especially right after its release?

Also how do you think that the Ratbat and other KO "reissues" will affect prices much on genuine G1 from Hasbro? Have you noticed that happening so far? And then there's the Dinobots. With Swoop proto's showing up overseas, I'd say it's a matter of time on those as well. With the money from selling I'd be able to rebuy many of the KO's for a fraction of the price if I choose. With a copy of the G1 art on the box, I'd be ok with that, knowing I didn't completely lose my shirt on the originals and managed to keep the G1 art alive in my collection. Would I be happier if they were authentic Takara release? Of course, but that's not happening so I'll take what I can get.

I'm still undecided on this so looking for opinions and hopefully good discussion. Whether I decide to sell or not, I will always be a fan. But if the time has come to part with some things, I don't want to be naive about what's coming when the money can be used on other things. Thanks for reading

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, IMO the price of reissues would most definately affect the price of the original toys. I mean, if the reissue is almost similar the original why spend more money?

On the other hand, there are some collectors who still prefer the originals so its hard to gauge so...

My take:

i) Original TF toys whom reissues are readily available will drop in price
    ii) Original TF toys without reissues will increase in price
    iii) Reissues that are hard to get by will increase in price.

Of course, it could be different story if no one likes the movie and fans start uploading their collection in disappointment! :D 

3. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

Haha you've got a point there. :D  But so far it doesn't seem the movie's getting any more backlash than X3 and that was a pretty big movie at the box office even with all the Ratner bashing. :D