The Transformers: Headmasters (Marvel) will be released in Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:14 PM.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wonder what japan fans think of the marvel comic?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    My first guess would be: they don't. General comics fans won't even notice it here in Japan. Transformers-specific fans may appreciate it as a curiosity. A cultural artifact. But with the way it was written and the style of the art/sequential storytelling, it would be impossible to be taken seriously as a legit comic in Japan. And I say that as someone who enjoys the Marvel comic, the Headmasters era in particular.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

I'll take it a copy please. Hope they have an Ebook

4. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

I've never felt the need to buy a TPB for the cover alone! That's more of my dad's shtick when it comes to comics purchases. Then again, if the interior art has been cleaned up, then I guess I could go for it anyway and look past not being able to read most of the comic text. Anyway when he bought me a 3/4 set of the Headmasters comics I mostly skimmed it. One of the fun parts to read were when the Targetmasters made their debut in combat.

5. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Hey that could work for me instead of getting the entire volume on a future trip to Osaka!

Perhaps... a gallery of profiles, tribute art, ... and "pinups" at the end?

6. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Well there is a few American comics stores in japan.

Here is one. Pretty sure they are not as big as the manga stores there.

7. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I prefer the approach of the Headmasters mythology in Japan, the actual show was dreadful. Budiansky and Springer definitely had the advantage here.

It's really a shame that it didn't sell well enough to have become an ongoing as Marvel US had hoped. GI Joe Special Missions was a modestly successful Bimonthly spinoff. This was Marvel US's attempt to recreate that approach for Transformers.

Story wise, the characters become rather lost in their migration to the main monthly with its regular cast. The Nebulans totally disappeared from the story.

The novelty of a totally alien world every other month would have been a fun switch from the normal Earth based adventures in their main monthly. It would have also been interesting to see the toys split between two titles, since the Nebula based toys would obviously have stayed in Headmasters book. At least until they needed to introduce Power Master Optimus Prime. Definitely a good chance for a crossover.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally would have bought an ongoing Headmasters book

9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

They planned to spin-off Headmasters into their own series? I didn't know that. Yeah, I would've been all over that. At one point, I was reading Special Missions more than the mainline Gi Joe title.

The only real issue I have with the Marvel Headmasters is how they work logistically. I love both takes (Japan's Headmaster Transtectors and the US bioengineered binary bonded versions) but it just makes more sense to have a robot become the head of a bigger bot than a human sized organic being cyber-engineered to become the head of a robot (particularly because, due to shortcuts taken, they were drawn like humans wearing armor and not humans permanently altered into being transformers).

10. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Why didn't they just do a book with the uk stories like they did gijoe?

11. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Also that cover would make great wallpaper if that annoying white block wasn't there. Anyone have a version of the cover without that?

12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Next up from Takara, a "Marvel Edition" Fortress Maximus, with Cerebros/Fortress remolded to transform into a giant version of his own head. Since half the time in this series Fortress Maximus walked around with Cerebros' head instead of his own …

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1