The Transformer voices in the first film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Aug 17, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The Transformer voices in the 2007 film carry a sort of computerized feel about them, as if they were filtered through a processor (particularly Starscream):
    Transformers (6/10) Movie CLIP - My Name Is Optimus Prime (2007) HD - YouTube
    Transformers (9/10) Movie CLIP - No Sacrifice, No Victory (2007) HD - YouTube

In one sense, it sounds great, makes them sound like robots. In another sense, it makes them feel artificial and prototype. The second and third films had the voices sound more natural and organic, like warriors grunting and snarling (and ironically, Movie Soundwave sounds organic while his classic G1 voice was processed).

If there is a chance of re-releasing the first film, I think they need to leave off the processed alteration. The voices can stand well on their own, without the need for such a gimmick.

2. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

I suppose the production team listened to it the first time round and said;
    "Yeah, that sounds robot-y enough, now everyone can differentiate with who's speaking" or whatever.

By the time ROTF rolls round, they're like;
    "They know what they sound like so we don't have to change the vocals as much"

3. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

I think they sound better when spoken through a processor to give bots and cons a robot-y feel. They sounded like robots in G1 and Animated.

4. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually liked the voices without the coder. You got to see how great a starscream voice Charles Adler could do.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    As much as I dislike the movies, I'll admit he did a great job in Dark of the Moon. That was one of the few highlights I took away.

6. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

I noticed this as well. While I prefer Starscream's TF1 voice, I really don't mind either way.

The removal of the electronic sounds does help make my impressions of these guys more convincing though. XD

7. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Adler's performance was changed entirely. He was relatively monotone and subserviant, and they made him more higher pitched and whiny in the 2nd two films (you know, kind of like how Starscream's supposed to be)

Megatron pretty much sounded the same in all 3 films.

There were a few points in the first film where the robot effect was heavy, but it wasn't consistant. Optimus had a heavy robotic effect during his first scene but afterwords he sounds like he usually does (well sounds like 2000 era Optimus anyway)

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think both versions (modified and not-modified) work.

The first film gave the characters much more of an other-worldly vibe with their heavily enhanced voices. More god-like, more alien, more mechanical. Which is great.

Then RotF/DotM's relatively unaltered voices also worked great. It allowed the VAs skills to shine through more (take Charlie Adler's fantastic work, for example). It made them feel much more human.