The toy releases in 2009 topic

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Yigal, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    Well, it's half of October. The end of 2009 is only 2,5 months away. That will also mean the end of the 25th anniversary year of Transformers.

Before this year there were lots of sounds coming from TakaraTomy and Hasbro, saying this year would be a very special year with possibly special reissues, special toys, etc. A lot of people were speculating in 2008.

Now we near the end of this anniversary year and I personally feel a little bit cheated.

Aside from the cancellation of TFA (and the automatic drop in prizes of the TFA toys), the release of ROTF Moviebots (the waves are going really slow), some Universe Classics and Henkei, Some new BT/Alts, some Encores and 2 new commemorative Hasbro reissues, there wasn't anything special. It wasn't spectacular.

Maybe I was hoping for too much and I should be satisfied.

What were you guys thinking before this year? And are you satisfied? Expected more/less/worse/better TF toy releases in 2009??

2. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

I feel a little cheated too, I do like the two G1 Reissues and a lot of the molds this year have been very nice but it does feel a little lackluster (especially after the OH SO SPECIAL G1 prime that cost about $40 more than he's worth >_>).

What we need is a G1 Reissue Shockwave, and don't give me any of that "we lost the mold" junk. It CAN be remade, just a matter of if they want to or not. Either that or a real updated Shockwave in the Universe line.
    (But alas, the pigs, they will fly before that happens...)

That would make it a special year.

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was hoping for a few more US G1 reissues.
    I agree that the reissue Prime was way too much. Good thing I got him on clearance.

4. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    It's been incredibly disappointing unless you collect only the movie line toys and I think in general the distributors are to blame.

The pisspoor distrubution of all Hasbro's Transformers is laugh out loud. All they've done is hurt the brick and mortar stores. Seems one region has too much of one figure and another region has none of them at all. And I'm not just whining about the Ice Cream truck, it's the Classics and the reissues together.

Hasbro: Release Henkei Red Alert as Classics. No excuses. Release Arcee Animated. How the f@ck did Electrostatic Soundwave get released before her? And get crackin' on some decent and well deserved re-issues. Trypticon, Shockwave, Sixshot...

....we're all standing here waiting with our wallets open. Is our money no good for you??

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Grimlock. :D 

6. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Good point about how they are released. Some of the stores around here have nothing but the same character.

7. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Agreed. For about two months all you could find was a fuckin Wheelie and some of you all know how much i hate him >:O

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I think they threw us a few bones, but nothing too impressive. I think they tried to give us a few things with the Universe line (although a lot of the stuff was of little interest to me, but they tried). Perceptor and the Insecticons, as well as Soundwave with Ratbat were nice gems, but much of it such as MP Skywarp would have probably been released even if it wasnt the 25th Ann.

I think a few things happened.
    1. Their focus was on their moneymaker (whether people are interested in the movie toys or not).
    2. We have been spoiled (atleast with imports) over the last couple of years. I would have liked a few more US reissues, but even a couple more wouldn't really be anything special compared to what we have gotten out of the Encore line over the last couple years, and imagine the uproar if they decided to treat us with a Commemorative Ironhide and Ratchet. The fandom would probably be pissed.
    3. With many of us into GI Joes as well, we were looking for something comperable to the amazing line that we were treated to with the 25th Ann Joes.

I think they gave us a fair amount. Would I have liked more, sure. But no matter how much they give us, I always want more.

9. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

i realy feel let down with 2009. 2010 dont look much better just more movie toys the last bit of the animated line and no word on a new classics/uni line. hasbro needs to get there head out of there ass and give us some good stuff. with out us the fans they would be nothing so isnt it time they made us happy.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    We got one of the coolest Optimus Prime's ever, some really cool constructicons, and an awesome Wreckgar and Inferno. The year may have been better had Universe Continued throughtout the year, but it kind of has with the G1 Homages in the movie line. So Aside from the most crappy Devastator ever, It has been a great year.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    What stands out the most from 09 for me is how hard RotF sucked...
    Oh, is this about toys?
    MP Grimlock then!!

12. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You have to look at it from the business POV. Hasbro is a toy company, and toys are, with the exception of stuff like MP, meant for kids, so Hasbro looks at it this way: How can they make more money? Put out toys based on the newest TF shows and movies, or reissue 25 year old toys that won't sell tot eh general public as well? Don't get em wrong, I'd love to see US reissues of G1 toys, and more Classics stuff, but it wouldn't provide the sales.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I spent at least three grand on TF's this year, I'm not complaining in the slightest.

Hasbro/TakaraTomy doesn't even own the rights to the Shockwave mold. So even if it wasn't lost (which the company that owns the mold says it is) they still couldn't reverse mold a preexisting Shockwave.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  14. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

it was kinda good, they should of had more G1 reissues.

15. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

More Classic stuff and atleast one surprise like a Classic Metroplex or a combiner just cuz its the 25th ann.

16. cuters

cuters Diabolist

09 was good for me henkei helped to fill some empty spots in my collection can,t wait for 2010 and classic,s 3.0

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very let down, but that's mainly because i don't like the movie aesthetic at all.

18. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am pretty happy with this year in general.
    ROTF Prime is teh sexy...some of the re-releases were a very welcom addition to my collection.
    I think they could have done better, but no matter how good they do we will b!tch that it could have been more.
    I think they should have released a new combiner personally, something huge and awesome to look at.
    ROTF Devy made me want to kick a puppy.

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I've had a good year. I like the ROTF line, plus I've filled up quite a few empty spots in my UT collection. Also, G3 Trailer, an Alternator, and an Alternity.

20. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i got red powerglide and hardhead....awesome...insecticons on the way....awesome...

when that black recolor of ROTF prime shows up and gets combined with ROTF jetfire...

TOTAL AWESOME.

i do however wish we could get a reissue of trypticon...encore or whatever...gotta get him since metroplex got reissued...